SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vladn2000

Planting 30 Austrian pines, need advice

14 years ago

Hi All,

I am planting 30 Austrian Pine seedlings (about 1 foot high) this April -- all of them are going to be planted without additional irrigation. I have some questions about planting procedures though, I want to make sure that all pines get the best chance of survival:

1. I am going to dig a hole 3 times diameter, saucer shaped.

2. I am going to use mulch, this is no brainer.

Here are areas where I am not 100% sure:

1. Should I use polymer? (http://www.dcconservation.com/GrowthAids/polymer.htm). As I mentioned there will be no additional irrigation and I plan on making sure to water all trees regularly during the first couple of seasons. After that, I only plan on doing occasional watering during hot spells.

2. Should I use fertilizer tablets (1 per tree) ?

3. Should I put weed fabric around the tree (mulch on top of weed fabric) -- I want to give trees the best chance to compete against grass/weeds, but some say that by putting weed fabric I will be destroying bacterial flora between soil and mulch which is supposedly bad.

4. Should I slightly amend the soil ? I know by amending the soil (mostly clay) I will be discouraging the roots to go outside of the hole, but I am talking about slight amending, maybe 1 part of garden soil to 4 parts of native soil.

My apologies if I posted to the wrong forum, I thought specifics of tree planting in Rocky Mountains area justify posting here. Please let me know if you think I should rather post in different forum.

Thanks for your help ! Davie.

Comments (7)