SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

Even in South Florida, autumn arrives...

sflgplume
12 years ago

Hi everybody,

Well, here in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, this past week we had several days of daytime temp's in the mid-70s and nights in--gasp!--the mid-60s!!! LOL SHOCKing, right?

I know, I know...but one becomes accustomed to eternal summer. Of course, highs are supposed to go back into the 80s this week...but the cool air and chilly rain seemed to have had an effect on my trees, and now most of them seem like they're thinking about going to sleep. It IS kinda sad, I agree with y'all...

Anyway, my first full year of plumaholism behind me, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for being so kind, helpful, classy, etc. It's a ton of fun to hang out on this forum with all of you lovely people, and to see all of your amazing blooms. It's inspiring!

I have a few questions for the vets out there, but first, some pics:

My Kimo, which is one of the dozen-ish cuttings I rooted (or attempted to root, ahem) this summer, popped an inflo about 8 weeks into the process, and I let it stay on...and this weekend, one lone, pale flower opened up--you can tell how cool it's been:

On the other hand, the hatch chiles that arrived in the mail from New Mexico last week and that I roasted Saturday morning on the grill--their vibrant color could not have contrasted more with pale Kimo:

Oh boy, did they smell as good as they look, too! Mmmmm...huevos rancheros, anyone? LOL

OK, to my questions:

1. To my shock and awe, most of my cuttings successfully rooted this summer (yay!). I had them in the lower half of one of those foam wine-shippers (worked great, too!) so they were all exposed to the same conditions, more or less. However, one of them, sadly, decided to rot: Jeanne Cecile from MPG (this KILLED me...such a beauty this one is!). So, i cut to where it was all white and sap ran--which I figured was a good sign--and did her up again. My question to the vets is: does my JC have a prayer? Does this "2nd-chance" rooting ever work? Or should I take it to FL Colors and have Luc graft it?

2. So now, along with 2nd-chance Jeanne C., I'm still waiting on Kelly Moragne to root as well. No rot on this one, but, assuming cooler temps are on the horizon, what should I do if one or both of these cuttings neither rot nor root? Should I just keep them on my seed-mat, close to bone-dry, until spring? Yikes!

3. Confession time: I just could not control myself this year, and ordered more plumies than I realistically have space for (and were it not for this forum, I would really feel like I was a lone weirdo with a problem! Haha) I'll figure it out...but my question for now is: have any of you ever tried to put, say, 2 or 3 plants in the same giant container? I think it's probably not a good idea, but all the same, I'm just curious if any of you have tried this, and if so, what result you had...remember that down here, generally speaking, the potted plumies can stay put all winter--we don't have to haul them inside, praise Jesus...so portability isn't a MAJOR issue...not entirely irrelevant though, either.

4. For those of you who have the climate which allows you to put plants in the ground (not plunged in pots, but literally), what criteria do you use to decide which plants go in the ground and which will stay in pots?

OK, I know that's a LOT of questions...but any help you all can offer, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again, y'all!

Greg

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars256 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz