SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorrifreitas

Apparently, I've done everything wrong...is it too late?

Lorri
17 years ago

Around July my husband brought home plumeria cuttings that someone in the office was giving away. They were ~18" long, with leaves & flowers, in an old jar filled with water. So I'm thinking they'll root in water. Every week or two I add more water but nothing is happening. Flowers are now gone but they are still putting out leaves. A couple weeks ago, I read in Sunset Western GB that the cuttings should harden off a week and then be potted up. So I do that, in a nice ceramic pot with an organic potting mix and have been keeping them very moist, to help those roots along, don't ya know. Then I read this forum. Uh-oh.

The stems are a bit wizened toward the bottom where they meet the soil but look good at the top and nice new green leaves keep coming out. I had been keeping the pot in a filtered shade area. We live in Inland San Diego, so it has been in the mid 80's lately, with nights in the upper 50s. It sounds like plumeria start going dormant soon. Any hope for these cuttings? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Lorri

Comments (9)