SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skybirdforever

Our gardens in March!

Hi all,

With the cold weather most of us are having right now, this might not seem like the right time to start this, but itll be warm again in a few days, so here it is anyway!

IÂve had crocus blooming since the beginning of February this year. This was the first pic I took of the "snow crocus" on Feb. 6.

Feb. 25 when the purple ones started blooming

And some of my "real" crocus on March 3

Unfortunately this year they didnÂt last very long! They seemed to be "closing up" and taking care of themselves pretty well when it got COLD out, but I think it was the heat that did them in! IÂve had a whole bunch of days in the upper 60's and even into the low 70's, and theyÂre just not built for that! My one batch of snow crocus does seem to be having a second flush, so maybe the others will too.

I just posted a pic of my first couple daffs on another thread, but hereÂs the full story on them. I had never gotten around to cleaning up the cottonwood leaves next to my shed this year, and when I noticed on Feb. 6th that the daffodils were growing up thru the 8-10" layer of leaves, I decided I better get them out of there. This is what they looked like when I got the leaves cleaned up. All yellow!

And this is what they looked like on Feb. 24 when they had been out in the sun and had had time to green upÂand set bud! I cut the bud off when I took the pic!!! Oops!

And this was yesterday, a couple days after the first two flowers opened.

As I wrote on the other thread, they wound up with a couple inches of snow on them last nite and were all bent over this morning, but when the snow melted off, they promptly stood back upÂand look as good as before!

I donÂt remember exactly when, but sometime last November I posted a pic of my primroses that were still blooming! Well, believe it or not, theyÂve been blooming all winter! The foliage looks AWFUL, but they keep blooming! The first pic was taken on Feb. 6. Only the purple oneÂs been blooming all winter, and you can see that the buds and flowers are half whiteÂapparently because of the cold.

And this pic was taken yesterday too, March 9th. The yellow one is blooming now too, and the others have LOTS of buds coming along. The older buds/flowers on the purple one are still coming out half white, but the newer buds and flowers are all purple now. (I donÂt know why, but they always look bluer in the pics than they do in real life!) The foliage looks TERRIBLEÂor did I say that before! Hey, itÂs still winter! ;-)

Almost ALL of my perennials are up already, but theyÂre still pretty short and IÂm expecting/hoping theyÂll still be able to handle the cold. IÂm supposed to be down around 11 tonite. HereÂs one of my columbine, A. chrysantha thatÂs getting pretty big already. ItÂs been growing all winter, and itÂs been bitten a couple times by the cold, and if it happens again, oh, well, itÂll just start all over again. But itÂs looking really good, so I hope it makes it and keeps going!

HereÂs a view from one end of the main perennial bed. You can see all the patches of green where things are coming up. The only thing I havenÂt cut down yet is the Agastache, and I only left that up because I had to cut down my switch grass since it got smooshed this yearÂand I wanted something left that was still tall! But I REALLY need to cut it down SOON because the new growth is already several inches high and IÂm gonna have a real problem trying to cut out the old stems without damaging the new growth if I wait much longer.

I was absolutely delighted to discover a week or so ago that my Zauschneria made it ok! I got it at the Spring Swap last year, and if was a pretty small plant, and I was kind of wondering if it would make it or not. Now that itÂs made if the first winter, I wonÂt worry about it anymore!

And one final picture! Hehehehe!

Somewhere, some time ago in one of the threads I mentioned that I had discovered I was growing a worm farm under each of the remaining bags of leaves I had laying on my veggie garden area! Well, I can still hardly believe myself how many worms are under the bags, and I figured nobody else would believe it eitherÂso I took a picture! Actually, only some of the worms are in the pic, because as soon as you lift the bag up, most of them scoot quickly into their holes! So this is just the bigger, slower ones that couldnÂt get underground before I took the pic. I have 7 or 8 bags laying out thereÂand a maze of worms under each of them. Easiest way I ever found to improve my soil!

So now everybody else come tell us about, and show us, whatÂs going on in your March garden!

Happy (almost) spring,

Skybird

Comments (41)