SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s_p8987

I'm sorry but I have another question!! Rooting process

s_p8987
15 years ago

Hello all!

I have some very stubborn cuttings that are not acting the way I would like them to! The first one is a nice, thick cutting I received from Ebay a little more than 2 months or so ago. I had it in a clear bottle so I could see it rooting, and needless to say - it did start to root because It began to leaf out. However, soon the leaves just stopped growing. It was suggested to me to put it in a bigger pot because one of its main roots was touching the plastic bottle, so a very nice man here suggested i carefully cut the plastic away and put it in a bigger pot. I followed his suggestion but I'm afraid I might have damaged that root. Anyway, it's been sitting in a large planter for about a month, and there is still no sign of bigger leaves! The cutting is still firm. I'm afraid that because it's getting to be fall and the temps have been dropping to the 60's at night, that it's never going to root. I just don't understand why a cutting would start to leaf out and then just stop! Here is the plant (it is inside because there is rain forecasted today)

The second confusing thing that's happening, is I received another huge cutting in the mail that had roots but no leaves. The cutting is over 2 feet tall, maybe even 3 feet tall. I thought that if a cutting had roots, it would have leaves. I guess the leaves could have been cut off for shipping, but then I would think that the plant would have grown more leaves by now. It's been a month - and nothing. The cutting is still thick and firm. Here are pictures.

If anyone could give me suggestions I would be glad. I am so sad because our 100 degree days are gone and I know they are so helpful for rooting! My heat mat is being used currently, so I can't put them on it. Maybe I should order another?

Thanks so much!

Comments (3)