SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pastasalad27_9

Another repetitive gritty mix question-(sorry)

I have been searching through the forums and absorbing as much information as I can. My citrus are currently in a coco coir, vermiculite, basic potting soil, and worm casting mix which I have had success with both outdoor container veggies and indoor houseplants including succulents and cacti.

I figured I would search out ingredients locally for the gritty mix or 5-1-1 so I can get them quickly in case my citrus adventures took a wrong turn with my current mix. It seems that I am not in a prime area for gritty mix, I've made many calls to garden centers, hydroponic stores, irrigation companies, landscaping companies, sport equipment retailers and everything in between. I am going to try the local botanical garden here in abq for sources and the UNM athletics department next but in the meantime this is what I've come up with:

Napa floor dry#8822 (which is basically big chunks of DE) in place of the turface (not anywhere nearby yet-where is it??)

Pine/fir bark (I've got phone confirmation that one garden store has it- also many great pet stores nearby that most definitely have the reptile-bark)

Gravel: poultry grit/gran-I-grit etc (still haven't found it but there are some more feed stores I need to try)

The problem is I live in the center of urban abq, don't know anyone and have no car so many of the outskirts may have what I need but the busses do not go that far. Has anyone had luck finding things in a very urban area? Every other place I've lived has been very rural and feed stores and garden supplies were ubiquitous, people walked horses more than dogs and everyone shared garden tips left and right. You could special order anything from one of the shops. Albuquerque is very different.

I've used food grade powered DE for insect control, deworming, and keeping horse stalls fresh and dry but never large chunks. When tho powder gets wet it turns to paste but I guess the chunks hold their size and shape. Obviously if it is interchangeable with turf ace it has been tried and tested but does it not have the same drying properties as the DE powder? Or because it is larger it absorbs and holds water allowing the plant roots to siphon it as needed? I guess it will make more sense once I see it in person. I'm picturing it like dried brown sugar and collapsing when wet.

As far as sifting, where do you all get screens? I read someone found a few at a thrift store and that may be possible, I've got a few around me but they are primarily clothing though there are some kitchen items. Anyone have success with DIY screens?

My dog(st. Bernard) and the wind are both working against me and knocking my smaller pots with the citrus over so I may try to switch to gritty sooner for the weight. I also just realized that my smaller pots are all dark colors or black, (I generally use them indoors), and I don't want to bake everybody's roots so for now I've placed the pots in an empty earthbox (still hunting down the proper soil-another adventure).

I'm sure like many of you if my budget would allow it I'd have no issue tracking down the best at any cost, but things move slowly for me because I need to track down the best price and justify the expense. Baby steps, right?

Oh yes that was my other question. I found foliage pro on amazon 1 quart for about $20. Is that a good price? I've yet to check my local garden stores for it, I always forget something!

Comments (13)