SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
singcharlene

Chickens eating everything I don't want them to

singcharlene
14 years ago

Hi all,

Happy New Year! Just pouring over the last page of threads to see what everyone's been up to.

We still have the foster baby girls now 13mos. & 2 1/2yrs. It's moving toward adoption but it's a lonnngggg process.

Chickens....yes we have our chickens! We got five of them as babies in July (2 Black Australorp, Easter Egger, Red Star, White Plymouth Rock) and they started laying eggs for us in October. We only have four chickens now because one disappeared (one of the australorps) while free ranging? I'll get a few more hens in the spring. We're now averaging four eggs a day. The problem started last fall when we let the girls out to free range for a few hours everyday. They eat everything in my pots and in my new planting beds in the front of my house. I hate to have to contain them. I like the idea of them free ranging for a few hours everyday but they've torn the mulch up and eaten the dormant plants down to nothing. I can only imagine what damage they'll do in the spring! Do you have any brilliant ideas sans keeping them locked up that will keep them out of my flower beds and pots?

Thanks!

Charlene

Comments (20)