SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyduckworth

'I don't eat much'

Daisyduckworth
14 years ago

So said a lovely 90yo lady sitting next to me recently at a birthday luncheon for a 92yo.

I watched her eat, with gusto, a thick dinasaur steak, served with a mountain of salad and an even taller mountain of chips (fries). It was served on what was called a 'plate', but its size qualified it as a 'platter'. I had just a chicken caesar salad, and couldn't get through it, so she finished it off for me. Her neighbour on the other side couldn't eat her second crumbed lamb chop, and no prizes for guessing where that ended up.

In short, she ate the equivalent of a large meal fit to feed at least 4 hefty men! I haven't mentioned the soup and the 2 large bread rolls, either!

Then came the birthday cake, a 4-layer delectable chocolate and cream creation. It fell to me, sitting opposite the guest of honour (my 'other mother'), to serve the slices. Most people asked for 'just a thin sliver, please', but not my neighbour. I slowly moved the knife so that the intended slice became larger and larger, telling her to say 'when'.

12cm or so later (5"), she eventually said 'when'. That slab disappeared in no time flat, and then she came back for seconds, this time just marginally smaller.

As my friend (daughter of the birthday girl) said afterwards: 'Just as well we decided to get the larger cake!'.

What I want to know is this: Where the heck did she PUT it all?? (Nope. No doggie bag! And she's tiny enough that a bulge under her top would show.)

Comments (8)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012