SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Spring planting plans

treebarb Z5 Denver
13 years ago

The weather outside is frightful! I'm curled up ordering plants.

I'm planning on ordering 30 Pinon pine and 50 Caragana seedlings to add a couple of layers to the windbreak I've started on the north side of my house. I have 30 feet from the house to the fence line. North of that is a ditch, 2 lane highway and miles of open farm field. It's tough area, windy and noisy. The planting area is 30 feet wide by 100 feet long.

In the spring of 09 I planted a row of lilacs seedlings against the fence and a row of RMJ seedlings south of the lilacs. The RMJ's all survived. DH weedwhacked a few of the lilacs and a couple just didn't make it. I plan to plant the cargana to fill in the open spots along the fence.

I think the drought tolerance and soil requirements of the Pinons, RMJ's, Caragana's and Lilacs are similar enough to make them good companions.

I don't plan on planting the pinon in a row. I think groupings of 3 - 5 in curves would look better.

My last soil test was 7.9 ph clay loam with a recommendation to add 1 lb nitrogen and 1 lb phosphorus per 1,000 sq ft. Sar was 4.0, lime % high, mineral levels were all high, salt was low.

The dh spent considerable time trying to load/imbed a couple of photos taken from inside the house this morning. You can't really see the seedlings, but you can see the fences to get a general idea of the space. Obviously, weeding is an ongoing battle and something I need to get a handle on.

I'm interested in your feedback and experience with the caraganas and pinons.

Here, I hope, is the photo link.

http://s913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/treebarb/Garden%20pix/

Barb

Comments (5)