SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rdback

Review: Carribean Hot Sauce

rdback
14 years ago

I saw this recipe posted last year by Bill (ottawapepper) and added it to my clippings file. Then, I forgot about it of course. I stumbled across it again a while back and thought, "I should try this". Boy, I'm glad I did.

I've made it three times over the last few months and have used it three different ways.

The first time I made it I used it as a "marinade" for chicken breasts prior to grilling on the Weber. They came out "ok". There was a subtle flavor add, but fairly conservative for my tastes.

The second time I made it I used it as a basting sauce and a dipping sauce on two things - chicken on the Weber & ribs on the Char-Griller Smoker. BINGO! For me, this sauce turned out to be a GREAT basting sauce. I also used this batch as a dipping sauce with the grilled chicken, but didn't really need to. Initially, there's a nice sweet flavor (but not TOO sweet), following by a fair-to-middlin heat kick, which isn't overpowering. The two flavors compliment each other wonderfully.

The third time I made this sauce, I grilled chicken on the Weber again (can't get enough hehe) and a pork loin over indirect heat on the Weber. Basting frequently and 1 hour and 45 minutes later, the pork loin was done and it was outta this world good! It's hard to put into words how this sauce enhanced and complimented the flavor of this roast.

The biggest problem I have with this sauce is planning ahead. It is MUCH better if made a day (or 2) BEFORE you're gonna use it. I never know when the cooking out urge may strike so I'm at a disadvantage. It would be nice to can or bottle this stuff somehow, but I haven't figured out how yet!

As you may have noticed, I LOVE this sauce. You should give it a try - I recommend it LOL!

Thanks Bill for sharing this recipe.

Enjoy.

Rick

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted by: ottawapepper on 01.14.2008 at 09:34 pm in Hot Pepper Forum

Caribbean BBQ Sauce

2 scotch bonnet chilies (or whatever you can handle), fresh or dried

1 cup orange juice

1 cup honey

1/3 cup soy or Worcestershire sauce

1 TBS ginger

1/2 tsp allspice

2 cloves garlic

1 tsp dried thyme (1 TBS fresh)

Blend together well in a blender and then simmer in sauce pan for 5-10 minutes.

Let stand in fridge overnight for fullest flavor.

(P.S. I used Orange Habs)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...AND, if you leave it out overnight, it also makes a darn good Black Ant / Moth bait as well !!!!

Sorry folks, no pictures of the chicken. It always disappears before I can find the camera!

Comments (2)

Sponsored