SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brian6464

Hot Sauce

brian6464
9 years ago

I want to try BWB some 5 oz wide mouth hot sauce bottles which I'll be filling later tonight. Does anyone have advice on best technique since the only insert rack I have is for pint jars, which will not hold them upright.

I read somewhere on here that someone uses such a rack and leans them from the middle outward and keeps the water below the cap level.

I'll be using metal plastisol tops and possibly plastic reducer inserts, so I could technically cover them fully? I'm just not sure how to keep them from banging around in the BWB.

Also, I'm not 100% sure that the recipe is safe for shelf stable canning, but I want to try it either way. The Papaya and Mangos have an approximate ph between 5 & 6, while the lemon juice, lime juice and vinegar are between 2.5 and 3. I could always add more Lemon/Lime juice if necessary.

Recipe was a combination of a couple I found searching this site with some personal adjustments:

2 Mangos
1/2 Papaya
12 Hot Lemon Peppers (8 deseeded, 4 whole)
1/2 cup Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Lime Juice
1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. raw Agave nectar
1/3 cup garlic (1/2 fresh, 1/2 canned)
1/2 tsp canning salt

It was originally a bit too acidic tasting, so I added the Agave and the canning salt to tone it down a bit. Has a good taste, albeit on the sweet side. Heat is mild IMO, so I may add a dehydrated Hab or something else to it to kick it up a bit.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor