SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treebarb

Your favorite seed and plant sources

treebarb Z5 Denver
12 years ago

Good morning all!

I recently cleaned out my seed box for a swap that Bonnie turned me on to. Now that I have some room, I need to restock.

My favorite local nursery, Picadilly, in Brighton Colorado recently closed their doors and are switching their operation to tomato growing for Whole Foods.

I would love to learn about new sources that you use for seeds and plants.

I was wondering if everyone would be willing to list their favorite sources for seeds and plants, both mail order and local. Since we have such a diverse group, both in what we like to grow and geographically it'll be beneficial for all of us to add some sources. It'd also be nice to send some business to our favorites. Home Depot and Lowe's are local and reliable, but I'd like to send some business to mom and pop operations as well. Tell us a little bit about each source if you know, like where they are located, their method of operation and any specialties they focus on.

I'll start:

Seeds:

Gurney's online and mail order. Big and reliable. I use them to order more common things.

Paulino Gardens - North Denver retail location. I'll go into more detail on them under plants. They devote a small section to seeds and always seem to have what I'm looking for.

Sand Hill Preservation - in Iowa and don't do internet sales. Their catalog is on the net, but you print the order form and mail it in with a check or money order.

They specialize in heirloom non-hybrid vegetables and sell poultry as well. Very small operation and done as a side business in their spare time.

Plants:

forestfarm - Williams Oregon. They have a retail nursery, do phone orders and internet sales. They carry a huge selection of ornamentals, perennials, grasses, shrubs, conifer and deciduous trees and fruits. They take great care in packing their plants and I've had good experiences with customer service in changing plants in an order. Shipping costs have gotten expensive. I received a conifer order from them last spring, 4 trees which are small but doing well. I tripled my order with them for this spring.

Harlequin's Gardens - retail location in Boulder Colorado. They specialize in native plants, bulbs, perennials, xeriscape, edibles and roses. I've spotted a few choice conifers there as well. No mail order and only take cash and checks. They also offer various classes throughout the year. The roses I've bought from them have done very well.

High Country Roses - located in Vernal Utah. They have a retail location, but since it's far I've ordered band roses (small pots) mail order from them for 5 years or so now. Since the plants are small, they require a little care at first, but they offer roses I can't seem to find locally. I've received most orders 2 - 3 days after they've shipped them, which is important to me. I don't want my babies banging around in a box for 2 weeks!

Paulino Gardens - North denver retail location. They sell houseplants, seeds, perennials, annuals, cacti and succulents, conifer and deciduous trees, ornamental grasses, water plants, pots, fountains, statuary, soils, garden tools and supplies. They do classes and have special sales. I love to visit their clearance center a few times a year.

The Tree Farm - retail location north of Denver near Longmont Colorado. They specialize in conifers and deciduous trees but also carry annuals, perennials, roses and ornamental grasses, pots and soils. They have a buy one, get one for a penny sale on trees every fall, usually starts in late August, early September. The place is huge and the employees will drive you around in a golf cart to look at trees. Bring your walking shoes!

Let me know who you buy from!

Barb

Comments (27)