SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thistle5_gw

how to start? or how to be patient?

thistle5
19 years ago

We just purchased our first house & I'm so happy I'll be able to garden again (without the fear of digging it up for awhile). It's .4 acres, w/ a south facing front yard & a large, heavily shaded backyard, bordering a park. Our primary need right now is tree work- we have 1 dead cedar & 1 almost dead cherry (back) & 1 almost dead crabapple (front). The other tree slated for removal is a red maple, about 20', nothing wrong with it, except it's in the wrong place. We have 4 other mature maples, that will get a bit of limb removal, a sweet gum, a birch, 2 oaks,4 wh. pines, a cedar, & a magnolia. We're also going to have some large overgrown shrubs in the back removed (forsythia, spirea?, laurel).

I'm trying to decide whether to remove the front foundation shrubs while we're doing this-under the lr window are large Japanese hollies & the other bed has 3 boxwoods & something else similar. Could I prune them back in the spring & try to move them to the fenceline in the back or should I just have the hollies removed now? I know it might look bare over the winter, but the 2 beds in the front get the most sun & would be perfect for a mixed border, although I doubt I'll have a chance to do much before spring.

I know 'they' say to wait & study your garden for a year before making any changes, but how can anyone do that? I don't want to make a major goof, but we will need to have some tree work done, before we put in a more dog-confining fence (currently split rail on 2 sides, neighbors privacy on another). Should I just clean up the back now & postpone the front until spring? Any hints on how to proceed?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions