SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jkw7aj

can I share a small victory?

jkw7aj
19 years ago

When I moved into my current place, it was completely overrun with weeds. I've been weeding *continuously* for 4 years, sometimes with absolutely no hope for the future. Realizing that you're pulling what seems like the exact same weed for from the exact same spot for the umpteenth time that year, then seeing more and more that you swear came out of nowhere overnight is an incredibly depressing form of deja vu, I know. I felt like a garden Sisyphus. There have been days when I refused to walk out the front door because I couldn't look at it anymore, couldn't deal with it.

And on top of that, the former occupant tried her best to improve the place with some minimal plantings, but there was no rhyme or reason, and quite a lot of chaos, so even when the weeds were yanked, the landscape wasn't worth looking at.

Now, in my 4th year, I've suddenly realized (after concentrating the majority of my efforts on the front yard alone for the past 2 years) that the front yard is now almost completely weed free, and the ones that do come up are few and far between. If anyone had told me 4 years ago that there was a hump to get past, after which it would be simple maintenance, there's no way I would have believed them. I go out maybe once a week, usually every other week, breeze through with a bucket in one hand and a tool in the other. Five minutes of perusing and plucking and I'm good for another week or so. Amazing! I'm so relieved I could almost cry.

In addition, in February, the yard was weed-free long enough that I was able to speand a month digging and transplanting to bring some order and cohesion to the front. Now, the original plants are all still here, but they're grouped, and the empty areas are ready for additions. I'm at a natural pause point, I no longer feel harried and overburdened. My efforts have finally paid off!

So, end of chapter one. Chapter 2 begins: the sidyard, having been completely abandoned for many years, is completely overrun with weeds, and the original plantings are haphazard and unappealing... [sigh] Oh well. It's a process, right? Still, I'm loving the front yard. Just wanted to share.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions