SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

Holy Haleakala! Holy Hawaiian Coral!

sflgplume
11 years ago

I decided to start a new thread rather than continue the old one...not sure why...maybe I just wanted to use my Bat-Man-inspired subject line...dating myself once again, K...

This will also serve as my contribution to the "last hurrah" thread started by Robert (I think?). So, here's what's still blooming at my house...

Haleakala's just getting started, and the inflo is already so stunning as to be jaw-dropping:

The yellow throat glows like a candle in the half-open flowers--it's quite something!

Hawaiian Coral is similarly arresting:

Andrew, you asked about this tree's growth habit and scent. The scent is heavy, thick, sweet, but not at all sickening...it's a gorgeous scent IMO, certainly one of the "biggest" that I've smelled. As for growth habit--well, as we were discussing in my last thread, not sure what will happen next year, but HC is a seedling of Veracruz Rose, so it's got "giant" genes LOL it grew pretty vigorously this year. Comparing it to Kona Candy (I hate picking winners LOL) I guess I'd say HC wins out because of the beautiful scent (KC has only a light carnation-like scent). As for JL Orange Ribbon, can't speak to that...I have the other one, 'Hawaiian Ribbon', but it hasn't bloomed for me yet.

Neon Lights lookin' and smellin' fabulous...this flower is really amazing and I don't think I've yet managed to capture the true appearance of this bloom in a photo...but I'm trying.

I still have a lot of trees giving blooms here and there...you guys have seen them all before,..

Charlotte Ebert *swoon* (Mona, did you lose yours?!? :( )

Waimea's inflo is about spent:

JJ Mini-White is still blooming strong (lousy phone cam pic, sorry)

Divine gives out flowers like party favors, she's an absolute machine! (We love her for that :) )

Brand-new inflo on JL Tidal Wave...hope I can keep this sucker on there once the days get short!

Donna S paparazzi style, at night:

One more full-on of Ms. Donna, who's now blooming on two tips. Jen, this photo's for you--the branch segments covered by the aluminum "valley roll" corresponds roughly to the amount that this tree grew last year. (By the way, the valley roll didn't do s*** to stop the iguanas but it does keep snails off the foliage.) That's easily 15 inches, in case you can't tell. But look at what it did this year! About 4 branches from each tip (they sealed over early in the season) and a couple of inches of great, tight growth.

It's late and I have to get myself to bed, but I had a few thoughts about the general growth habit discussion that we were having in my last thread that I will try to share tomorrow.

'Night, everyone.

Greg

Comments (19)