SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19774863

Small Pleasures, A Success and A Mystery

User
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

In this time between planting and harvest, thought Id post a little (ok long) post about my pepper experiences this year.

Introduction:

Some of you may have read some of my other posts where I lament about my Pepper season this year. To sum it up; thrips infestation; cooler and wetter season than normal and earwigs. 175 healthy plants in April and 34 still alive (barley) at end of May. Potted up 20 in 2.5 and 3 gallon pots and put the rest in the garden. 6 of the ones in the garden are just now starting to recover. The rest, I guess the earwig infestation set them back too far. Of the ones in pots, 11 look like theyÂll produce fruit.

I should note that the subjects of this post are all plants started from seed kindly shared by another forum member (with the exception of one?).

Small Pleasures:

I had started two Chinese Five Color seedlings in Feb. They both were doing exceptionally well. Actually, I had to move them to six inch pots by early April. Well the thrips outright killed one and decimated the other. It still had some life so I moved it to a 2.5 gallon pot last may and hardened off before it moved permanently outside. A top branch produced a couple of peppers but new growth from the base seems to be establishing itself. The following pictures are from the plant today. It just refuses to give up the ghost!

{{gwi:1194594}}

{{gwi:1194595}}

{{gwi:1194596}}

A Success:

The Chinese Five Color is a survivor but this Ethiopian Brown Berbere is a trooper! As with the Five Color, two were started in Feb. but only the one below survived the thrips. Actually, this one looked so bad I was going to compost it. Much to my surprise, after transferring to a 2.5 gallon pot it took off. It was literally a twig that just would not give in. I am defiantly saving the seed from this one!

{{gwi:1194597}}

{{gwi:1194598}}

A Mystery:

All but one of my Bhut Jolokias from seed purchased from NMSU (both hydroponic starts and soil starts) were wiped out by either thrips or salt build up on roots. The one that did "survive" is still on life support. The Dorset Naga seedlings started from member offered seed were wiped out by thrips. Wallowing in my miserable crop earlier this month, I thought what the heck, IÂll start a few fresh Dorsets and take another stab at hydro growing. One seed was planted in two new four inch pots with fresh seed starting mix. Much to my surprise one seed sprouted in four days. The other sprouted two weeks later.

Only one turned out to be a Dorset. Today, itÂs obvious the other is a tomato plant???

I can only think of four possible solutions to this mystery;

1) GF played a joke on me and stuck a tomato seed in the starter pot.

2) There was a tomato seed in my fresh store potting bought mix.

3) The trowel I used to pot up the starter pots was not cleaned and had a left over tomato seed from previous use on it that ended up germinating in the new starter pot.

4) The person who sent me the seeds has successfully crossed a Dorset Naga with an unknown tomato variety!!!

1 and 2 are highly unlikely (for 1, GF would know IÂd be pi$$ed!)

3 is probably the most likely solution.

Just in case itÂs 4, IÂve got to grow this damd tomato plant to fruit to really be sure. I started five varieties of tomatos this year. If it turns out to be one of my varieties IÂll know 3 is probably the solution. If it turns out to be a totally different variety and has no heat, then IÂm stumped?

Here are the two startsÂ

{{gwi:1194599}}

{{gwi:1194600}}

{{gwi:1194601}}

If it turns out to be number 4, another poster and I are going to get rich!

Anyone want to pre-order seed at $20.00/seed? LOL LOL

Bill

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville