SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkirkwag_gw

Not having much success

mkirkwag
20 years ago

I'm very much a light-weight hobbyist. Not into building, etc., just want some winter veggies.

When I bought my Baby Bloomer three years ago, everything did fine, but was somewhat slow. Since it was cold in the basement, I attributed the somewhat slow growth to the temperature. I moved everything upstairs. Last year I used a fan; this year the fan was broken. This year I'm getting damp-off. No big mystery there. I might also have too many cycles. But I still have slow growth. I get about one crop/winter. Given that the winter is two or three times the length of summer, and I get a full crop in soil in the summer, this seems excessive.

Baby Bloomer is a 5 or 6 gallon ebb and flow system. I use rockwool and grow rocks. My plants aren't generally diseased or insect-ridden (except for the current damp off). They're healthy, just slow.

The first year the flavors were a bit *too* intense, especially the arugula, but I attributed that to the banana manna, which is supposed to intensify flavors. The next year it was better, but this year the arugula was not only bitter, it shared it's flavor with the basil.

The big issue, though is the slow growth.

I try to change the water every two weeks...though I definitely missed a change recently. Growth was slow before my faux pas, however.

I've been using commercial foods. I've forgotten what the first powdered one was, but it was generally judged to be not-too-good. I switched to ESU Greenleaves Grow Juice. When I was told that I needed to change my water more often, I switched to General Hydro MaxiGrow powder in the interest of not going broke. I switch off with grow juice when I change water. Last year I used grow juice consistently--no difference.

My pH is dead neutral.

Any thoughts?

Comments (23)