SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raehelen

Successful trip to Granite Yard! Please help me decide!

raehelen
11 years ago

Feels like things are finally sliding into place. Visited a local granite yard just minutes from my home (why was I putting this off for so long?) Was given a quote of $300 to fabricate any remnant I like. (While there felt like the lady in the IKEA commercial, "start the car, start the car!") They will finish three sides, do undermount sink hole and faucet holes and I got to pick from ANYTHING they had in the yard, even full slabs! My vanity is small, but still at ~ 40" long and 25" deep, I thought that was a steal of a deal. Am now thinking having granite shelves cut for niches in shower too....

All I need to do is narrow down my choices...

My initial vision was an onyx counter with teak drawer vanity (I am having vanity custom made with three large drawers), and limestone-looking porcelain tiles 12 X 24 for floor and shower walls (NO tub). They only had a grey onyx in stock, and it wasn't deep enough. As Onyx starts around $100 sq ft and can easily run 2-3X that, I knew the only way I could afford it was if a remnant became available. However, research seems to indicate it may be too delicate for a countertop anyways.

So, here are the ones I've narrowed down...wish I could post an inspiration pic, but all mine are from Houzz, and I don't know how to save any images from there onto my own computer.

this one's called Crazy Horse, pattern varies widely depending on where you cut the stone:

And, then this one for something completely different, I had always wanted a green countertop (our bedroom walls are green), but definitely takes design into a different direction Today was a dull rainy day don't think this green was so washed out in person:

Comments (19)