SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

At Last, Some Success!

I'm sure many of you have heard me moaning about my poor soil and the lack of worms in many areas of my garden. The place with the worst soil is probably Tea Rose Row, where nothing had grown, not even grass, before we moved in. In recent months I've tried to improve the soil by adding layers of grass leaves and compost. I wasn't sure how well this was working until my husband planted a rose in a spot that was occupied by a very small Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux. Since it was growing so slowly and the area to be filled was large, we took out Jules and planted Carefree Beauty (okay, it's not a tea rose). What thrilled me to the core was that when Jules was uprooted there was quite a healthy population of worms there! I'm absolutely thrilled, more than a non-gardener would ever understand, but I knew you'd all be able to relate. To think that my efforts could turn barren decomposed granite into soil that would make worms happy is a heady thought.

My main object is to somehow bring this garden through the droughts that I envision in the future (or should I say the present?), and the best idea I can think of is to put down deep layers of leaves and compost that will protect the roots from the heat and keep the roses healthy. That this has improved the soil enough to have worms where I hadn't ever seen one before is so exciting that I had to share it with you.

Ingrid

Comments (21)