SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delaware_paradise

Good Source of Sabal Palmetto

delaware_paradise
15 years ago

I am looking for a good place to purchase container grown sabal palmettos on the east coast. I just want to know where I can find a decent sized sabal palm about 3-5 feet tall growing in a container. An online seller would also be ideal.

Comments (32)

• topher2006
    15 years ago

collector palms has some nice ones on ebay.

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you topher2006 i have seen them before i think. do u know if a local lowes/home depot or any nurseries around would carry these?

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Sabal palmetto seeds

Q

Comments (3)
    Woul you accept CIDP, Wash.Filifera, Wash.Robusta,Trachy.Fortunei seeds for trade?
    ...See More

Sabal palmetto (cabbage palm) germination question

Q

Comments (3)
    Never seen solar or battery power. Mine is large enough that I can put two standard size seed flats on it. I haven't noticed the electric bill difference. Of course, my wife pays all of the bills. Make sure you buy a thermostat for it though. Otherwise you will be pumping out 110F or so which usually cooks whatever you are growing. Cheap online, try amazon or google shopping.
    ...See More

Anyone heard of sabal palmetto 'lisa'?

Q

Comments (8)
    Hey, Alex, you have GOT to see this! Have you heard about the two sabal lisas on I-75 in fort meyers florida that they are trying to save from destruction? Well check this out! I was on google maps where they were and I found one!!! Its not the clearest pic and the trunk is covered in weeds, but there is no doubt in my mind that this is one of those two sabal lisas: Cool,huh! Im very exited I found this! -Hunter
    ...See More

Is a Sabal Minor the Same as a Sabal Palmetto?

Q

Comments (10)
    Islandbreeze is correct. However. SOME sable minor's in "habitat", IE in thier natural environment, which is coastal wetlands from extreme SE Virginia, on down through the carolina's, GA, and into FL, they CAN produce stout drunks of a few feet. Here are a couple of photos of Sabal Minor in habitat. The second photo shows just how big they can get over a very long period of time in ideal conditions. Then THIS is Sabal Palmetto: Hope that helps clear things up for ya! NOTE: All photos courtesy of www.garysnursery.com Here is a link that might be useful: Gary's Nursery
    ...See More
  • topher2006
    15 years ago

im in zone 8 and i have to buy mine on ebay or drive to texas :) Ryan at collector palms is a great guy and he will treat you right !

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I second that!He has some now for about $50 with shipping-3' in 3/5gallon pots,goood luck

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

if there are any left i will definitely consider buying one. do any of you think that i could get a hurricane cut sabal to survive delaware winter if planted in early spring?

• islandbreeze
    15 years ago

I think you could get one to survive a winter, but it probably wouldn't do well after a few years. It would probably go into decline after a while, unless you give it protection every winter with a heat source. I know they grow as far north as Virginia Beach, but I think that's probably about their limit because sabals need a lot of heat to grow well. A better alternative is a larger Sabal Louisiana or Trachycarpus. Louisianas might not be that easy to find though...

Not trying to discourage you, and the only way to find out is to try it yourself. Hurricane cut sabals are cheap enough anyway, and easy enough to find. Good luck

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I would not try a hurricane cut on any sabal this far north,better off protecting it from sun for a month or so and keeping it watered.Sabals grow way to slow to remove all the leaves,one thing you can try when its been in the ground a few months is putting some black rock or mulch down to warm the area up around it and get some growth.I planted 3 S.louisiana and they took off right away,they are awesome sabals,my S.birminghamn also started to move but it is pretty small.

• jay_7bsc
    15 years ago

The Chilly Palm Company, York, SC; Gary's Nursery, New Bern, NC; and the Pungo Palm Nursery, Virginia Beach, VA, offer potted _Sabal palmetto_. You will find Websites for the first two nurseries by Googling their names. Googling the third nursery's name will give you a telephone number and an address. Woodlanders in Aiken, SC, is another excellent source of cold hardy palms for the Southeast. Google them to reach their excellent Website.

• billn119
    15 years ago

I live in Cleveland and I HAVE A SABAL PALMETTO IN A CONTAINER. IT IS ABOUT 5FT TALL INCLUDING THE CONTAINER. i WOULD BE WILLING TO SELL IT,,,,BUT IT WOULD NOT BE WORTH IT TO DRIVE ALL THIS WAY. BILL

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have heard of all the nurseries except pungo palms. i was recently in virginia beach and came across many sabals grow all over atlantic ave. they were mostly hurricane cut and looked freshly planted and sapped of life. though i did come across many handsome specimens. billn119 i would love to pucrchase it but i live much to far away. could you post a pic though just to see it?

• billn119
    15 years ago

hey..I will post a pic by sat morning,,I paid 65 dollars for it 5 years ago,,,,that is what I would want,,its got 2 new fronds now,,,but its a slow grower,,,14 inches of trunk
    Thanks,,Bill

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That seems like an excellent price but there is no way I could pick it up because I don't plan on driving to Cleveland. Where did you buy the palm?

• david_
    15 years ago

I can get seeds when there is some around. I don't think they seed this time of year but I will check.They grow like weeds here.

• david_
    15 years ago

I see you only want trees sorry.

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is completely alright, but I would just like to know do they sell medium container grown sabals at the big box stores down in Florida?

• billn119
    15 years ago

I bought the palm in Myrtle Beach,,5 yrs ago,,,,Its the easiest palm to grow,,,,indoors....I would never expect anyone to drive to Cleveland,,,maybe to see the cavs,,,

• david_
    15 years ago

I have never seen any I guess because they grow everywhere and are kind of a problem for most of us.They grow in places where you don't want them and they are hard to get out of the ground after established.They do not transplant well when you want to save some roots and fronds.

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is truly a shame because here I am looking for a nice sabal and down in Florida they are considered weeds. I am expecting to get a bottle palm or coconut this month from some family memebers who are planning on flying up from Fort Lauderdale. That is going to be a real treat.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

I would try some sabal louisiana or needle palms,not much selection on e-bay right now as far as S.louisisana but there are quite a few sizes of needle palm available,including some good sized 7g plants,needles are probably the most cold hardy followed very closely by sabal,both of these palms showed only a slight yellowing of leaves with temps down to low teens before I covered them for winter,good luck

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There is a place in southern New Jersey nearby that has a steady supply of needle palms and I will check over there. I think they're called Triple Oaks or something like that. I'll try out a needle palm first in the ground this spring.

• turtile
    15 years ago

Triple Oaks had a lot of Sabal palmettos from the Bald Head Island, NC population (northernmost natural population of palmetto). There is also a local nursery in Bethany Beach that has many palms.

I live in Lewes(outside of the town - SW) and I've planted a Sabal sp. Birmingham which is much more hardy than Sabal palmetto.

The first palm I would try would be a Sabal minor. Its much hardier than Rhapidophyllum hystrix at a young age.

Here is a picture of my Sabal minor "Cape Hatteras" (Planted in summer 07 - no protection - planted from a 7 gal - pic from a few months ago):

Sabal sp. Birmingham from a 3 gal - same time (left):

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It looks like you also have a Butia planted in your garden. Does Sabal birmingham ever form a trunk? What has been the growth rate of your Sabal minor? Also where did you get your palms from? What is the name of the nursery in Bethany Beach that carries palms and what varieties do they carry?

Thanks and its good to know there are also other people in Delaware interested in growing palms and other unusual plants.

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

Beautiful palms turtile!

• turtile
    15 years ago

Thanks Jim!

Have you seen any of the palms in the area? How close to the Atlantic are you?

I have Butia bonnetti (in pic) and Butia eriospatha. Eriospatha has done really well: much better than the bonnetti.

The Sabal minor has doubled in size since last year. Not many leaves come out but each one is much bigger than the last.

I've purchased palms from Gary's Nursey, Chilly Palm, Triple Oaks, Bethany Beach Gardens (I think thats the name of the nursey), and three different sellers on Ebay. The nursery in Bethany had huge Trachycarpus fortunei and Butia capitata along with Sabal minor, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and Chamaerops humilus.

Here are two more pictures of a few more palms including eriospatha:

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm about 1.5 miles inland in Dover. Where did you get the Butia Eriospatha. I've heard they are about a zone hardier than a regular Butia capitata. How is the growth rate on your Butia?

• jimhardy
    15 years ago

You might try e-mailing collector palms on e-bay. I got a nice one from them this fall.I did not see any B.eriospatha listed but maybe he still has some,worth a try.Good luck

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm still deciding what palm I want to buy next. Its been 3 weeks since I've bought a palm. I'm thinking of buying a Thermoplanter for my next palm, but I'm really stuck on decing because there are so many choices. What would you recommend?

• turtile
    15 years ago

I got the eriospatha from collector palms on ebay. It grows extremely fast.

Are you looking for a palm for indoors or outdoors? If outdoors, I'd wait until the spring. The first one I'd choose for outside would be Sabal minor >= 3 gal. pot, then Birmingham >= 3 gal, and Rhapidophyllum hystrix >= 7 gal.

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks turtile I have been scavanging online looking for good sources of palms near me and I have finally found the place. Triple Oaks website availability list says they have B. eriospatha, sabal palmetto (bald head island, nc), sabal minor, sabal birmingham, and lots of rhapidophyllum hystrix all for very reasonable prices. I will definitely head out there as soon as Spring heads in. I visit New JErsey quite often as I have family there so I will be making a detour at that time. I can't wait for Spring, hopefully some of the big box stores will have varieties of palms. Turtile have you seen any palms at the big box stores like walmart, lowes, or home depot during the spring?

• turtile
    15 years ago

I've seen Butia capitata at Home Depot in Rehoboth. The Dover Home Depot is much better but I've only been there a few times (not in summer). So I'm not sure if they have a good selection of palms. Last year, in spring, they had many varieties of bananas in Dover. The one in Rehoboth is smaller and has higher prices (very small selection of plants).

• topher2006
    15 years ago

Also check out mb palms on ebay they have some real nice palms at competitive prices and there good people.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://stores.ebay.com/MB-Palms23_W0QQfrsrcZ1QQfsubZ20006495QQtZkm

• delaware_paradise
    Original Author
    15 years ago

topher2006: I have bought from them before. They have very fast shipping and the plant that I have got from them are in great shape.

turtile: Your right about higher prices around the beach. Everything is more expesive around the beach. I am thinking of heading to Ronny's Garden World in Smyrna because I have heard they carry cold hardy palms and bananas. I just can't wait for this cold to go away.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012