SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yumpin_yimminie

Starting 500 sq ft garden

yumpin_yimminie
16 years ago

We have a 500 sq ft area that we would like to try wild flowers in. It has full sun. I've done quite a bit of reading on the subject. Alas one big problem I haven't been able to figure out.

That is how to kill the weeds and grass prior to planting. Poisons such as Round up are out of the question. Have been unable to find vinegar with a 20% to 30% acid content. From reading it's said that 5% store bought vinegar is weak for the job.

Have been thinking about just laying a 3 inch or so layer of well shredded leaves in the area, after sitting around for a winter and doing a little decomposing. I also have the option of adding Chicken litter to the leaves making compost out of them.

The only other option is soil solarization. But I would really like to plant before August.

I've been kind of wondering what might happen if I lay the well shredded leaves down just before planting then maybe laying a little bit of fertilzer down for nutrients just before planting. Although I don't know what kind of numbers to try for.

Regarding the type of wildflowers I was thinking of purchasing a variety pack from with something that has mix of 31 flowers that are both annuals and perennials.

Input is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

Comments (4)

Sponsored