SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pyxiwulf

Townhome Front Yard Potager

pyxiwulf
13 years ago

My backyard has almost no sun because of trees, but when I saw this house I just knew the front yard was destined to be a kitchen garden! This is year 3, the first I just tried to do herbs, and failed pretty miserably. Last year, I decided to try my hand at some sort of potager-type garden without stepping toes on the HOA (which says no approval needed for landscaping, but I didn't want to go too far). It ended up VERY full and everyone said gorgeous, including a few randoms that stopped while driving by to compliment it! But I felt it was still, disorganized, missing just something pulling it all together.

Here's last year in June and again in August. I cannot believe I never took a full picture of it!

And here is the beginning of this year:

As you can see, I added a border (which is not a fence! or I'll have to deal with the HOA ;P), I'm starting to mark out each "bed" (often one plant because it's only 13'x15') with riverstone (so far radish and spinach), and the ground cover is I have no idea but it's taken over that space and a lot of my grass! I'm letting it stay for now, but my plan is to use thyme as a ground cover. Especially to fill in around the boardwalk, it really needs an anchor. The cart that is on the porch right now goes in the space in front of the hose box by the boardwalk where there are volunteer sweet peas that climb it. I never have found anything I can grow well in pots to put on the cart though, lol. And the two potted plants will move eventually. One is blueberry, and one is a dead rosemary :(

Any tips or suggestions, I would love them!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting