SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmer_at_heart

To Potager or Not to Potager....

farmer_at_heart
17 years ago

What a silly question!

Hello all, I've been lurking here for awhile catching up on good info, and dreaming of Spring. Well, today is the first day of Spring... yippee!

My question is, do any of you have a second row style vegetable garden in addition to your potager? I was watching the Square Foot Gardening video the other day, and he says "we are brought up to believe we need a small farm in our backyards, and that isn't true." Well, he's both right and wrong. We have been brought up to think we can be weekend farmers, but I DO want a small farm in my backyard. I have a row style garden where I grow beans and corn etc, but I always find myself bringing my favorite vegetables up by the house and planting them in the warm south bed up against the brown shingled back wall. I think this qualifies as a beginner potager since I haven't fully committed to a formal potager. I do love design, and the close planting style, but I keep going back to my row roots.

Vegetables have always been neck and neck with actual flowers in my heart. I always have my heirloom tomatoes, and eggplants, and other unique veggies like Patty Pan squash and Bright Lights Chard in my special garden. What varieties are your favorites?

Good to meet you all,

Brita "farmer at heart"

from snow covered Western NY

Comments (14)

Sponsored