SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boondoggle_gw

Learning from Mistakes?

boondoggle
17 years ago

If anyone is still looking at this forum, do you have some mistakes you've learned from last year that you plan to fix this year? Here are mine:

Last fall I added too much "Whitney Farms" chicken manure to my new bed. Growth there was slow or non-existant. Lesson learned. Also, someone on the Cottage Forum linked to Annie's Annuals Spring checklist, which suggested that some big-box store composts can actually retard growth. I've never used WF before, and I think I'll give them a pass the next time around.

I went to the library, and now I'm reading "How to Grow More Vegetables" by John Jeavons, after seeing it recommended in some other GW forums. I've been making a few mistakes. He says that redwood chips stunt plant growth, but I have plenty of chips on all my paths around my beds. Time for a change.

He also says that when you double dig a bed, be careful not to mix up the first and second layers. I wasn't so careful, and hollowed out my beds like a swimming pool, piling the dirt up around the sides. Oops. I think they're O.K., though, because the native soil in my potager is sand and gravel, through and through. It wasn't like I buried any topsoil.

Finally, I'm going to try planting my lettuce in six-packs, then transplant them, just for kicks. I want to see if I can impose more order on my beds, and treat my lettuce like ornamentals.

How about you?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH