SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

5 gallon buckets as pots

10 years ago

so now that we've figured out that we will indeed have space for my babies in the new place, I've begun repotting them.

I went to 3 different nurseries, all told me that they'd give me as many 2-3 gallon pots as I want, for free. but they can't give away their 5 or 7 gallon pots at all. not even if I paid them. my father in law tells me there's one that will sell them to him, for 8 bucks each.

at lowes, their cheapest 5 gallon pot is 10 bucks. but their 5 gallon buckets are $2.50 each! so I bought some of those, drilled 5 3/4" holes on the sides and 4 on the bottom, and used those.

the wife hates it because they look tacky, but form follows function. plus now she has an excuse to look up a new project on pinterest: decorating buckets. personally I think they look kinda cool, but I'm an engineer, not an architect.

before I did all of them and risked screwing something up, I repotted 3 of them as a test. I transplanted a 7pot, one of the ghosts, the habanero (left to right in the picture). and I did not wash the roots because they have pods on them and I wanted to minimize the shock. I just pulled them out of their original pots as gently as I could and dropped them in the buckets and filled in dirt around them.

I was amazed at how long it took to water them in. literally like 4 gallons each. but then again each bucket took almost a full bag of dirt to fill in, and that's a lot of dirt to get wet and get air pockets out of.

gonna do the rest this weekend if nothing scary happens to those between now and then.

now, the questions: does anyone have experience using buckets? is there anything I need to look out for when I do the rest? should I have used rocks on the bottom to aid in drainage? are 3/4" holes big enough?

Comments (13)

Sponsored