SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydon71

When to plan a bare root/container tree

lydon71
16 years ago

This may have already been answered, I searched but couldnÂt find the answer, so if this has already been answered I apologize.

This spring, my wife, who is a teacher, inherited 2 bare root Red Oak trees. This was perfect because I actually had looked into the best tree to replace a Bradford Pear that had fallen in my yard 2 years go, and Red Oak came out as the winner of the best suited native tree for my yard.

I could tell the bare root Oaks had not been taken care of so well and I gave it a 50% chance at best that one of the two might actually live. So I took the best looking of the two and planted it in the yard. Just in case the one in the yard didnÂt make, it I filled up a 5 gallon bucket with potting soil and put second one in there. Two months later, much to my surprise, both are actually doing very well.

I have chosen a spot in my yard to plant the second tree, but am now unsure when to put it in the ground.

1) I think it is really too late in the season to try and put it in the ground now. Am I correct on that?

2) If I am correct on 1, would I be better off putting the tree into the ground in the fall once the leaves drop or in the spring before buds are formed?

3) If the answer to 2 is in the spring, what is the best way to winter a container tree that is to be put into the ground in the spring?

Comments (8)