SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
priya142

Rubber Plant - Scale - Pruning

priya142
17 years ago

Hello

My rubber plant has suddenly started losing leaves, after two years of good health. From reading this forum, I realize that it must have scale, because there were brown pods on the back of the leaves it has lost and sticky spots on the floor nearby which I had mistakenly assumed were sap. I see scale on two of the branches, and several leaves. From what I understand, the best thing to do is prune those branches, but I've never pruned anything before so I'm a bit afraid of hurting it. (Though I guess it's already hurting with all these lost leaves....)

Could someone please just let me know if there's a specific technique to follow? Everything I've read online says there's specific seasons in which it's best to prune, so should I wait or just do it anyway?

And do I just use a sharp knife or shears and just cut off the part with the scale? Do I need to do anything to heal the wound? Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am very new at this, and I don't want to hurt the plant! I really love it so I hope it can be saved!

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Priya

Comment (1)