SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Love County Burning Hot Sunday....and Burning

15 years ago

This afternoon it got up to 88 degrees in the shade on our front porch, and the humidity dropped to 21 per cent. That's a fairly hot day for November.

I've been running the sprinkler all day long, as the big, ugly cracks in the dry clay soil are snaking their way closer and closer to the house and I now have cracks even in the watered, 'civilized' parts of the landscape just a few feet from the house. I'm trying to keep the foundation and surrounding soil well-watered enough that the foundation will not crack. At this point, it feels like a losing battle.

Today's 'very high fire danger' warning from the NWS came true, with two very large grassfires/wildfires in Love County, and a couple of minor ones. A large hayfield fire in the Courtney area kept several depts. busy for several hours and then a very large wildfire near Lake Murray was fought by about 12 to 15 fire depts. from Carter and Love Counties. At one point, I think every fire dept. in the county, except one, was out at fires....and you have to keep one 'at home' in the far south end of the county even if everyone else is out at the north end of the county.....just in case.

Although I stopped watering the veggie garden way back in the summer, we have watered the yard around the house pretty consistently, but appararently not consistently enough. The ground is still cracking and at least one ground-cover type juniper has died. (sigh) Sometimes, when it is very, very dry, it doesn't matter how much you water.....it just isn't enough.

I'm probably going to water all day every day this week and hope that I can stop the cracks in the ground from enlarging. Love County's Keetch-Byram Drought Index numbers are nearing the 600 range, which means even LIVE FUEL will burn. I hate to think I could lose the entire landscape, so am going to water like a madwoman. I don't know of anything else to do.

We're lucky though. Today's wildfires were nowhere near us and we didn't lose pasture land and hay bales like some folks did today, nor was our home threatened, as some were in northern Love County. Just hot and dry. Hot and dry. Hot and dry. There's really nothing else you can say about it.

Dawn

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH