SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2009 Onion Catalog Arrived Today

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

You know it is "winter" (well, almost) when the seed and plant catalogs begin arriving.

Earlier this fall, I received my HPS and Thompson and Morgan 2009 catalogs, and today the Dixondale Farms onion plant catalog arrived.

Wondering what's new at Dixondale Farm? I'll tell you!

And, I know that many of you have nurseries or farm stores that have a good selection of onion plants in late winter to early spring, but I don't. Everyone here has the same old same old stuff, and nothing special. So, I order from Dixondale (and, yes, it is very expensive) but you don't have to order from them to enjoy all the info in their catalog and on their website.

Dixondale Farm is a huge onion wholesaler based in south Texas. I was introduced to Dixondale several years ago by GoneFishin' (Bill P.), who posted on several forums for quite a few years and who is no longer with us. Their website has lots of helpful info in its FAQs and growing guides, has lots of onion recipes, and a monthly newsletter on all things onion-related.

Here's a quick synopsis of what's new and would grow well here in Oklahoma:

Red Candy Apple: This is an intermediate day variety, so it would grow well anywhere in OK. It is an improvement of Stockton Red (which grows well here for me) and their goal was to breed a red onion that is similar to Candy, which several of us grew this year. Red Candy Apple is a deep red, flattened globe shape that should produce 4" onions with a storage time of about 2 months. From planting date to harvest is roughly 95 days, and this variety bulbs up once daylength reaches 12-14 hours of sunlight per day.

That's the only new variety that would grow in our climate, but they've added a few new supplies including 50-lb. bags for storage of your onions.

Here's a brief summary of the short-day and intermediate-day onions they offer. They have tons of long-day varieties too, but growing them here will most likely give you greens but no bulbs.

SHORT-DAY VARIETIES: These begin to bulb up when daylight length is 10-12 hours a day. In the south, they mature about 110 days after transplantation.

The short-day varieties they offer are: 1015Y Texas Supersweet (yellow, globe-shaped, 6", sweet, open-pollinated), Contessa (white, globe-shaped, sweet, hybrid, 5"), Southern Belle Red (red, globe-shaped, sweet, 4", open pollinated), Yellow Granex (grown in Georgia as Vidalia Onions)(yellow, semi-flat, sweet, 5", hybrid), and White Bermuda (white, flat, sweet, open-pollinated, 3"-4").

Of the short-day varieties as grown here by me in Oklahoma, Texas 1015Y makes the largest onions and they store the longest, usually 2 to 4 months. Yellow Granex is sometimes sweeter, but only stores for 1 to 2 months.

INTERMEDIATE DAY VARIETIES: These begin to bulb up when daylight length reaches 12-14 hours. They require roughly 100 days to mature.

Superstar (AAS winner, hybrid, white, globe-shaped, sweet, 4"), Candy (yellow, globe-shaped, sweet, hybrid, 6"), and Red Candy Apple (new in '09, red, sweet, hybrid, flattened globe shape, 4"). Of these, both Superstar and Candy gave me massively huge onions in the spring, both have great sweet flavor but Candy stores about a month longer.

SPECIALTY ITEMS: I've also grown their Lancelot Leeks (they did amazingly well), Red Torpedo Tropea (a 6" long, narrow, Italian long-day onion) and Borettana Cippolini (a very flat-shaped, yellow, mild, open-pollinated onion that stores for 5-6 months, long-day type). For me both Red Tropedo and Borettana Cippolini DID bulb up somewhat, and they really shouldn't have, since they are long-day onions and need roughly 14-16 hours of daylight to form bulbs.

SUPPLIES: If you need onion-growing supplies like onion fertilizer and storage bags, they have them as well. I use their mesh netting tubes for storage in my tornado shelter, although I've used panty hose to store them in the same way.

For 2009, I know I'll plant Red Candy Apple, Candy, Texas 1015Y and probably Contessa as well. I lengthen my storage time by chopping and slicing tons of them and storing them in the freezer, ready-to-use in cooking. And, of the Contessa, Candy and 1015Ys that I harvested in June and July, I still have a million of them in storage 4 months later and their qualtity is still good. (I grew too many onions this year.)

That's the onion report from Southern OK.

Oh, and if you aren't sure when you "ought to" plant onions in your particular county, you can look at the Dixondale zip code shipping chart and they'll tell you the week they'll ship to you, which is based on what they believe is the best time for you to plant.

I always try to plant in mid-Feb. and, coincidentally, their shipping date for my zip code is Feb. 16th. I usually get my onions within 2 or 3 days of their shipping date.

After looking at all the photos in their catalog, I'm ready to plant now. LOL

Dawn

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!