SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leava

A Small Irony

leava
11 years ago

this year we planted quite a bit for us,small garden,jeff has done great with our watering system.Of course the drought did it's usual decimation.....but this spring i found a couple of small seedlings in the worm bin where all the kitchen compost goes.i thought it was from a small mystery melon that we had been given that was over ripe,promptly rotted and we threw in the bin.Planted 2 seedlings.The vines were like monstrously long,as the fruit developed it looked weird like a gourd.i thought the melon must have been a hybrid and wondered if anything edible was going to come of these monster vines.Well eventually we realized they were butternut squash and remembered seeds of one having gone in the bin.The vines grew like 20 and 30 feet long, up the fence,everywhere,we have harvested probably 15 or 20 with that many left on the vines.Is this typical for them?? We had never grown them before.As everything else wilted,whined and died they flourished.I am going to read up on saving the seed.We love the squash and it makes the best soup ever.I just think it funny that many of the cossetted babied plants died and these two from the compost heap were so prolific.Much appreciated though.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting