SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardner_dragon

Proposed winter setup for cuttings,will it work?

gardner_dragon
17 years ago

I live in NorthEast Arkansas and have a zone 6/7 winter that is not exactly conductive to growing Plumeria. While I was growing up i spent part of my youth in Hawaii on the island of Oahu and had Plumeria growing in the front lawn. The yard always had the heavenly scent of the Plumeria. Now I have discovered that I can push the zones with yet another tropical plant( I presently have 12 fruiting citrus of various varieties ). I would love to have several Plumeria to add to my present collection of 1(Yeah I only have 1 at the moment). I thought that maybe the winter setup I use for the citrus would work for rooting plumie cuttings and seeds as well.

Plants are brought inside as soon as cold(below 55°F is predicted).

Pots are wrapped with Christmas lights to keep root zone at around 80°F.

House temp is set at 68°F so they will still grow as citrus as a rule do not go dormant.

I open a window on warmer days to allow for air exchange otherwise I leave the door to the plant room cracked.

I also run a humidifier for a couple hours a day to heep the humidity up above 50%

The soil mix I will be using is the one listed on the Plumeria society website.

Will this work or do I need to modify it a bit? I also grow orchids and they seem to like this setup as they bloom each year.

Comments (3)