SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Freeze Watch for Central/Northern OK Fri/Sat

I previously linked the NWS-Tulsa Freeze Watch on Lee's thread that warned the weather is about to get colder than previously forecast. That one is for all of you in the area covered by the Tulsa forecast office, including parts of northwestern AR.

Now, for those of you in central/northern OK in the NWS-Norman weather forecast office area, your freeze watch for Friday night through Saturday morning is linked below.

Remember that official temperatures are recorded 5' above ground and that plants you have at the ground level may be subjected to even colder temperatures that your forecast low/actual low temperature. Cool-season plants should be fine in the weather expected this weekend, unless Lee comes back and tells us it is looking much, much worse that what the current forecasts show this afternoon.

Now is the time to make your plans to either harvest the last of your warm-season fruits, veggies, herbs and flowers, or plan to cover them up well enough to prevent freeze damage or frost damage.

If you are a newish gardener and haven't had to deal with frost protection or freeze protection before, you can ask your questions about it here. Experienced gardeners in this state have oodles of experience in dealing with freezes and frosts and there's lots of way to protect plants.

One thing all new gardeners might like to know is that often, after we have that first cold spell with frosty and/or freezing weather, then we will have a few more weeks, most years, of nice, warm weather with temperatures pretty much above freezing. Thus, if you have plants you'd like to keep in production a bit longer, if you can cover them up and protect them through that first cold spell, you then get to enjoy them for several more weeks.

Down here in extreme southcentral OK, I am working to harvest as much as I can before the expected frost on Saturday morning. We are forecast to stay above freezing, but past experience tells me we often drop below what is forecast, so I am preparing for a frost and/or freeze just like most of the rest of the state.

All weather forecasts can change as updated models lead to updated forecasts. Sometimes your forecast can change quite a bit in a fairly short period of time, so keep an eye on the forecast. If your forecast, like mine, shows you area is not currently under a freeze watch, that doesn't mean you might not wake up Friday morning and find the freeze watch extended to your area. Things can change quickly here.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeze Watch Central/Northern OK Fri/Sat

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz