SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck - Sat. May 20 - Part 2

storygardener
18 years ago

Let's keep talking and planning. We will continue:

Hello fellow gardeners!

It's that time again! My name is Beverly - (also known as Storygardener) My good friend and gardening buddy, Mimi, and I have again reserved a covered shelter at a park in Hilliard, Oh (northwest suburb of Columbus, Ohio) for a plant swap and pot luck on Saturday, May 20, 2006.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!

Here is the basic information:

Date: Saturday, May 20, 2006

Time: 10:00 am - 3:00pm

Place: Shelter #5, Hilliard Municipal Park, Hilliard, Ohio. The park is on Veterans Memorial Dr.

TRADING MATERIALS: plants, well rooted cuttings potted up, bulbs, shrubs, happy seedlings, garden ornaments,& bundled garden magazines, extra gardening implements, etc.

(PLEASE MARK ALL PLANT MATERIALS WITH THE PLANT NAME AND CARE REQUIRED!!! Also, mark any plants as invaisive or poisonous, if known)

POT LUCK: Please bring a dish to pass with serving untensil & your own beverage We will provide plates, plastic silverware, napkins & cup. It's a good idea to mark your serving spoons etc. with your name.

DOOR PRIZES: If anyone wants to donate something for a door prize, please feel free. Last year we had many really neat prizes!! Lots of fun.

This should be a wonderful chance to share your passion for gardening, meet other avid and learning gardeners, have a festive and delicious meal, acquire some new plants & share your extra's. Please come with a happy and sharing heart. Bring pictures of your gardens, flowers, etc. - if you like!

This is the plan for the day:

10:00 -12:00 - people arrive, sign-in with your name and number of plants, get name tag, put plants in viewing/swap area, put dish to pass away, visit with other gardeners & start viewing plants.

Noon - have lunch

After lunch - door prize(s) awarded

1:00 - swap begins

After swap - more visiting, pack up & goodbyes.

We must be out be 3:00 pm.

We've been to many swaps we really like this swapping style - a modified ROUND ROBIN.

Round One - pick one plant

Next Round - pick one plant

Next Round - pick two plants

Next Round - pick three plants

And so on, and so on....

This way everyone gets a chance to get some of the plants they really have on eye on. This works well and people have been very pleased in the past. Everyone should be able to take home as many plants as they bring.

Some tips for the day would include bringing a folding chair (sometimes needed), a box or container labeled with your name to put your new plants in after swapping & bring and mark your serving utensils for your dish to pass. If you have room in the car...bring an extra table, just in case.

Hilliard Municipal Park can be found by getting into Columbus, then go to the outerbelt, I-270 & go west, and getting off at Cemetery Road Exit. Go west again (towards Hilliard) on Cemetary Rd. Stay on Cemetery Road about 2 miles until right past Main Street (a traffic light). At this point you still go straight because Cemetery Road joins with Scioto Darby Road. Go about .4 mile down road until you get to Veterans Memorial Drive which is on the left.

Veterans Memorial Drive/Hilliard Municipal Park is off of Scioto Darby road on the left side of the road - across from Hilliard Heritage Middle School. (NOT hilliard Memorial Middle school - that, you'll see first.) Another landmark is that Veterans Memorial Dr. is where you see the Urgent Care & Sunshine Academy. Shelter #5 is only about 1/10 mile from the park entrance. You stay directly on the park's main road and go .1 mile and turn right (just past all the flag poles). You'll turn right again quickly into a parking lot directly in front of shelter #5. The shelter just left of the children's playyard.

We hope you can make it.

PLEASE EMAIL with RSVP so we can get a head count. (This helps us know how many plates, cups, etc. to bring)

This should be a FUN, informal day to share our love of gardening! We are contacting some of our gardening friends & alerting the Gardeweb.com people & the local garden club. Hopefully we'll have a good crowd. You should bring a gardening friend, too!

Please email with any questions.

HOPE YOU CAN MAKE IT TO THE SWAP!

Good gardening...

...Beverly & Mimi

Comments (103)

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Quick Alison! Do something to hurt your self so that Granny will bring you a TD&H surgical gardener guy too. Bev and I don't really have any use for one as we have Murray and Lee. We'd like to look at him tho!!! Wink! Wink! Nudge! Nudge! Know what I mean?!?! (Hee! Hee!)

Seriously folks, we will all have to mother hen Beverly so that she doesn't over do it too badly. I will be doing my usual with helping folks unload and find out where to put their plants, food, door prizes, garden junk, TD&H guys, and all of that other stuff. (as well as being generally excited and giddy!)

Wow! are we gonna have a blast or what!?!?!?

~~Mimi

• alison
    17 years ago

Originally posted by princess mimi
    Quick Alison! Do something to hurt your self so that Granny will bring you a TD&H surgical gardener guy too.

Injury! Injury! Unspecified injury!
    Bev, you'll have to sit with me and make sure I don't hurt myself more. And then we'll be right there when Tall Dark Handsome Garndening Guy comes by. (He's got to be a hockey fan, or I'll turn him back to you!)
    Double threat; not only is my sister coming up from Cincy with blue hosta, but my mother says she's sending plants up our way as well.

And I've got Friday off work to pack things up and cook! Can't wait!

• Related Discussions

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck - Sat. May 30, 2009

Q

Comments (130)
    Hi Everybody!! I am on my Sister-In Laws computer right now and I don't know if anyone will even get to read this now.I forgot you can get on any computer and do this.((DUH!!)) Any way,I don't want to stay on this too long,((Yeah Right))It's killing me not having my own computer.But I just wanted to say Thanks For A Great Swap.It was especially sweet for me because my daughter Diana and her new Husband of less then a year and who's last name I still can't pronounce correctly got to come with me and they loved it.Diana can't wait to come to the next one,So I'm thinking we'll be coming to the fall swap as well.It was great seeing everyone and sharing all the plants and eating all the wonderful food.I wish I could have stayed longer,But my elbow was giving me a fit.I had surgery on it a couple weeks earlier and the cast was making me sweat and itch.But all in all it was alot of fun. Michelle,My daughter Diana got the wraped package,It was a large ceramic Owl.Very cool!! I probably won't get back on again.So Thanks for a great time as usual Beverly and Mimi!!! You two are Awesome!!!!!!!!!! I'm hoping to see you all again in the fall!! Granny57
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck-Sat. May 20, 2006

Q

Comments (150)
    HI,all! This is my first time posting myself. James ususally does it. Granny we will be bringing some of the Gold Nuggets Lamium with us. Allison we should have a few starts if your friend wants some. It is gold with a white stripe down the middle and has I think pinkish purple flowers. It stays nice all winter. We got the original from Franklin Park Conservatory. Bev James doesn't remember bringing that type of tomato. The poppies and lavender sound good to me. We have been out potting and weeding this morning. We have ready to go... golden tiara hostas bressingham blue hosta stilletto hosta un named varieties of hosta centuria montana zebra grass dwarf zebra grass gold nuggets lamium anne greenaway lamium lilacs(white) ostrich ferns japanese painted ferns vinca minor varigated stargazer lilies crimson pixie lilies crimson pirate daylily and probably a few more things. We have a small swap in Stasburg the week before. I also sent the swap info to my brother who had some people from his church interested. Can't wait to see you all... Michelle
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck- May 15- (continued)

Q

Comments (97)
    Sounds like EVERYONE had a great time. Maybe next year I will make it there. I'm shedding my F.F.A. Alumni responsibilities. Our annual fund raiser for this group has been on the same Saturday as your swap the past two or three years. If any of you have any 'swapping' left in you and live near or feel like driving to Deerfield, there will be a plant swap and covered dish luncheon here on June 12th. Just thought I'd mention that. Between Akron and Youngstown. So far there appears to be about 2 dozen interested attendees. If you have no more plants to swap we will understand (800 out of 1800 plants ... someone is as bad as me) (95 plants taken ... again, as bad as me). There will be Door Prizes, Silent Auction, a garden themed craft project for those interested (very quick and easy) and of course extras available for those new gardeners or those unable to bring a plant. Oh, and we will have a local crafter of soap and other realted items. Perennial, houseplant, water/bog garden plants, tree, shrub, veggies, herbs .... it will all be there. Cheesecake ... with Raspberry sauce ... now that is just not fair. Mimi - thanks for all of your valuable information given. I really appreciated the input. Stardust
    ...See More

Central Ohio Plant Swap/Potluck Sat. May 20, 2006-link to info...

Q

Comments (2)
    Oops....here's the link: Then scroll down to Central Ohio Plant Swap. Beverly Here is a link that might be useful: Get togethers forum
    ...See More
  • granny57
    17 years ago

You all Just "SLAY" Me!!
    Alison,The Tall, Dark,Handsome Surgical, Gardener Guy, Just for you,We'll make him a Hockey Fan!! More to the point--We'll make his Hobby-- Being a Player.In more ways then one!!!lol
    No Disrespect Murray and Lee. Just a little playful teasing.I look forward to seeing you all at the swawp,And mending body parts for Beverly,Mimi And now Alison!!!lol
    Those Bandaids are starting to get pricey!!!
    I might need a suitcase just to haul them all!
    I almost have everything ready for the swap.Some things won't get dug up till tomorrow or the day before the swap, And won't be potterd up,But will be protected and well kept,And will be garden ready.
    Thanks to all who have taken time out of their busy day and helped me get some of my addresses back.Your all very kind and sweet to me,And I truly appreciate it.
    Sincerly Margie((Granny57))
    Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures
    May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

Granny you need to get me a cute dentist guy too! I cracked a tooth yesterday and got a new crown today! WAAAAAAAAAAA! It hurts! OW! OW! OW! Oy vey! What next? Oh, well. It should feel better by Saturday so that I can enjoy the food. There are definite advantages to having a dentist that can make your crown while you wait.

Michele- you never responded about the Red Twig Dogwood. Let me know. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a house with 1.7 acres and very little landscaping. (Oh what ever would I do?!) If you want one let me know and I'll bring it. Other wise I'm going to hang on to them in case I need it for a new HUGE garden! The boys have already told me that I can have the front yard (about .75 acre) for a garden. Generous of them huh?

Everything is potted that is going to be, the new loading zone signs are made and the ingredients for the Cavatini are in the kitchen. Now I need to put together the new sign stands for the new catagory signs and organize my garden junk swaps to be loaded on Friday night along with the laundry list of other things to bring. Hmmm...better write Lee on that list. What with the number of thingts this ADD gardener has on her mind I might forget the Hubby! ;)

See you all SOON!

~~Mimi

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Granny...no disrespect taken! Not to worry about that.

Well, I've got my "piles" of things ready for Saturday. I just have to cut up the paper for name tags and door prize slips.

Seems like we've been chatting about this since January...Yes, in fact we have!!

The count now stands at 136 - so, I figure anywhere from 75 - 150 folks will participate. Of course, we count babies, toddlers and any folks just along for the food. (you know who you are!!! ) That's OK, too. 'cause the food's yummy.

I can't wait to see all of our swap friends again. It's an amazing thing...all these friendships growing from flowers. I love it. My sister says that the swap and gardenweb and the community of the both is one of the BEST things that comes from the world wide web. There certainly is alot of junk, spam, and other non mentionables out there. But this is good stuff!!!!

Don't forget a chair/blanket if you can fit it in your vehicle. I went to the community center today to finalize all that...I hope we can get 15 tables like last year (or more).

later........soon......Beverly

• sunburygirl
    17 years ago

Beverly, it looks like we're now bringing about 10-12 people (four have flown in from California so we get the Far, Far Away Prize!). That's about four more than originally RSVP. As far as food, we're bringing Karen's wonderful macaroni salad, a rich cheesy broccoli casserole, Kahlua cake and a grill to do hot dogs for whoever wants one. Oh... and the RV, three dogs... and bunches of tomatoes, perennials and hopefully grasses. Party time!

Nancy

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nancy...you may "win the prize" for 'most attendees in a group'. LOL. Really, that's terrific! A grill for hot dogs. You rock! Thanks.

See you all soon.

Beverly

• thinkdirt
    17 years ago

Hi All,

Awhile back I said we would shoot for the stars and get 150 people and 4000 plants, looks like the goal will be set LOL.

I can't wait soooooooooooooo excited. Thank goodness I am in good health for now. I sure don't want Granny to bring any more surprises LOL. Bev, Mimi and Allison you better hang together close because I know Granny and she will pull to good one on you if you are not careful. All in fun of course.

The plants are ready, the door prize is ready, but still have to come up with something yummy to eat, I can't make something to early because DH will eat it before I can bring it.

Allison isn't you that likes Citrus Trees, I am bring 1 dwarf Myers Lemon and 1 navel orange tree if you are interested let me know.

JoAnn

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey...JoAnn...I'll be on the "lookout" for Granny!! I wonder...how many will attend this year. We'll have to keep a good count.

Folks, Betty and Ron (Hagey) have arrived from Michigan safely. My garage runneth over with plants!! Goodness gracious. I am keeping them until swappin' time. They went back to the hotel. They'll be back over tomorrow afternoon.

Later...Beverly

• alison
    17 years ago

I've been potting up and sorting the last few days, and I know I have some side deals going:

Polish Spirit clematis for Shadowgarden
    Lidakense sedum for mimi
    Scented geranium, love-lies-bleeding and Fat Spike for Bev
    Scented geranium and Dancing Fairy for Betty

I've got a couple of other plants set aside but I can't remeber who they go to! Margie -- what did we decide? Agapanthus +.... ?

• hagey
    17 years ago

Beverly, Thanks for taking care of our babies. I don't think they would fit in the room. Will see you Thursday afternoon.
    Alison - I forgot what plants I should be saving out for you? I hope it is something that we brought along. Thanks
    Can't wait until Sat. Ron & Betty

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep...Alison..I have your lavendar munstead and some lamium for your friend.

I've got alot of boxes of plants for different folks. Sometimes I think that the side trades are as much fun as the swap!

Betty..see you tomorrow. Then supper at the Starliner Diner - Hilliard's eclectic gourmet cuban, hispanic and american WOW resterant. Looks like a dumpy old building on the outside. It's really kiche on the inside (you have to see it to understand) The food is fantastic. If anyone get's a chance to come back to Hilliard another time...try it out.

I think I'll be bringing about 80 plants to swap on Saturday( I am sure I've given away almost that many already..between private swaps, friends and neighbors)

CAN"T WAIT!!! (even with my sore foot/ankle - I'll try to be good. I figure I can run around a little but - but, not like normal RATS)

...Beverly

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

hello,
    I'm coming to the plant swap but i don't have anything to bring;(. Its rained and rained and rained and rained some more. i've been stuck at work when i really want to go and garden. and friday night i get to be a prom chaprone-- i wasn't in the room when they asked for volunteers.
    I'm makinga batch of my vulgar bulgar taboulli-- so i hope it's warm enough to appreciate it's cool mintyness.

Bev I take a turn doing sign-in as well-- should be there by 11 am.

Diggerb

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Diggerb....don't worry about not having plants - there's always lots of extras and plenty to share. Just come - we'll have a great time!! YOur taboulie sounds yummy.

Beverly

• stetty
    17 years ago

Anyone bringing Crazy Daisy or Red Bee Balm tomorrow??

• granny57
    17 years ago

OH! MIMI,
    My Aching RIBS!Oh My Aching RIBS!Your killing me here.Your cracking me up!!
    From giving everybody the sore finger,To a cracked tooth,Now your dragging your healthy buddies in asking them to fake injuries so you can get mended by the Tall, Dark, Handsome, Surgical, Gardener Guy!!LOL.
    If I knew my Dentist friend could come with,I'd bring him JUST to see the look on your face!!!
    Alison,
    I do believe we decided on the Agapanthus and I thought some Love Lies Bleeding.I thought I mentioned it, Maybe i just was thinking about it. After seeing Beverly's that she got last year from the swap,I knew I wanted to try some for myself this year.But don't worry about it.I'm very happy with getting some Agapanthus.
    Betty,
    Sounds to me like we have our wires crossed and can't get our messages out to each other.I have emailed you on a few occasions and had not heard back from you.So I guess we'll just have to look each other up on Saturday.
    Michelle,
    I do have a Red Twig Dogwood for you.It is a late starter as far as the leaves sprouting open.I'll bring it tomorrow and see if it's what you want.
    Hostalavista,
    Where are you??I miss our Noval Chats!!
    And as for you all being on the look out for me.
    ((Not to worry))
    I think I'm too easy to catch!!
    Your all a Riot!!And you can't believe everything JoAnn,((Thinkdirt)) say's about me either.LOL
    See you tomorrow!!!
    May You have many Yesterdays!!!

• pastvast
    17 years ago

It's still been raining every day for almost 2 weeks straight! I can't believe I had to dig stuff up in wet soil (bad me).
    Here's what plant material I'll be bringing - ws = wintersown seedlings:
    - dill
    - parsley
    - hardy geraniums (ws)
    - chocolate mint
    - orange mint
    - snapdragons (ws)
    - stock (ws)
    - broccoli
    - sedum "john creech" (unrooted cutting, but in soil in case someone takes awhile to plant them)

I thought I'd give an update about some of the items I took home last year:
    hellebore (ws) - I love them! Still too young for blooms, but love the evergreen foliage.
    green tiara hostas - so cute, and they survived the winter and look like they've increased some
    hardy geranium - survived winter and bloomed
    dianthus "oakington" - LOVE it! Love that it's evergreen and was the cutest green/grey mounds all winter long (my neighbor even commented about how nice it looked- high praise indeed).
    primula - I'm a fan, it's been blooming for over a month... how many spring blooming perennials can do that???

See ya tomorrow!
    -Stephanie

P.S. I'll bring some homebaked bread to share

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

OOOOOOh! home baked bread! I was hopin that someone would bring some. I've got the Cavatini fixin's and will cook them up this afternoon.

I'd love a dianthus oakington. Hmmmmmm. I'll have to see Stephanie tomorrow first thing!

Gotta go cut the grass so that it will be below our knees when Betty and Ron come for their annual walk about this afternoon.

I'm sooooooooooo jazzed!

~~Mimi

• thinkdirt
    17 years ago

Well, the car is loaded and ready to go in the morning, Fourpaws will be here between 7:30 and 8:00 am, load her stuff and we are on our way. Can't wait.

I just made my Asian Slaw, I am so excited I could leave tonight and sleep in the car.

I am bringing:

Maltese Cross

Mimosa trees very small but really cute should grow to about a foot this season.

Baptisa Blue, False Indigo

Sea Oats
    Gayfeather
    Sweet Vernal Grass
    1 Nikko Deutzia shrub
    1 Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree
    1 Navel orange tree
    3 varigated Viola Fuji dawn

See you all in the morning.

I am also bring my garden cart for people to use to unload their plants if they need it.

Joann

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My car is packed too! Looks like it should be a beautiful day. I've made my tai cold noodle peanut salad (Murray's request instead of sweet & sour cukes).

It's going to be so much fun to see folks again!

Everyone - you drive safely!!!

See you soon....Beverly

• gillespiegardens
    17 years ago

well i am majorly bummed out that i cannot come to the swap after all!!! stick out lower lip! some of you may know that i am currently redesigning the Cincinnati Shriners Burn Hospital's Rooftop Garden and I am also the project coordinator. it has been my baby and my life since last August. The biggest part of the project is the vine covered pergola i wanted erected in the middle of the terrace and construction on that was to take place last weekend. well OF COURSE we had nasty rainy weather all weekend sooooo NATURALLY they postponed it to MAY 20th!!!
    and since the success of the project is my responsibility and also my reputation as a designer rests on the success of the garden i want to be there to watch the construction and make sure everything goes as planned. Granny has PROMISED me that we will go to the fall swap together!!
    i will be thinking of all the fun and plants and friendship i am missing as i am baking in the hot sun watching the eagle scouts and all of our husbands ( mine included ) working on the pergola. i volunteered to go get them soft drinks lol ( i'm not stupid you know.. im dangerous with a hammer!!) i am just worried that some dumb problem will come up and i want to be there to make sure i have some input and agree with the decision making.

i have been praying it would rain all weekend again here in cincinnati so i could come after all but it doesnt look like thats gonna happen

Sue

"The one thing all gardeners share in common is a belief in tomorrow"

• granny57
    17 years ago

I have my car loaded up and ready to go,God Bless Me,And Pat Me On The Back!!I did a good Job!!Even if I do say so myself!!LOL!
    I am making Pistacio Salad and hopefully some Crab Salad as well. That's the plan,But the body may tell me where to go instead.
    I'm hoping to get there early in the morning,I hope to get with Beverly,Mimi, Linda((Hostalavista))Betty((Hagy))And Alison as soon as I start to unload.
    And Grorge Ogeo,I have stuff for you from Sue!!
    Please forgive me everyone,With the exception of Beverly and Mimi And Michelle.I have forgotten what the rest of you look like.I'm so sorry about that.So if you wouldn't mind,Could you please look for me?I'm the one wearing braces on both knees and with long grey hair,Using a cane.
    Tomorrow is the big day!!!See you all then!!
    Granny57

• granny57
    17 years ago

Michigoose,
    I didn't forget you,Well I guess kinda did.But because we've never met,Could you please be on the look out for me??Shouldn't be to hard,Follow Beverly and Mimi's lead.There on the look out for me too!!LOL
    See you in the morning!
    Beverly;
    I have a Question!
    Would it be ok for me to pick plants for my friend Jacquie?Juanitas daughter,This is their busiest time of the year and she couldn't make it this year,But she came to the fall swap with me last year.I had her save plants for me this year,And requested some,And she came through.I just don't want to upset anyone by taking 2 plants when it's time to start and your only supposed to take one. I want to make sure I know how that works.If it would be a problem,I won't pick any for her.
    I don't know about you all, But I'm Dog Tired!!
    See you in the morning!
    Granny57
    May You Have many Yesterdays!!!

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

Good to see all of you. Sorry I wasn't more sociable, but I was pooped after the Race for the Cure. I hadn't trained at all for it and boy am I sore.

I got a bunch of great plants for co-workers and my elderly parents who are looking for shade plants. I didn't think I walked away with anything for myself, but now that I look on the patio, I'm thinking there are some nice keepers out there.

I'm most excited about the trillium from Betty, the Merry Bells, and the two grape tomato plants. Those toms are going to true tomato fans at my workplace and they will be delighted to receive them.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, folks, I don't know where to begin. What a wonderful day! It was fantastic seeing all my long time swap friends, meeting new friends, and putting names and faces together. Love it.

Between the folks that Digger counted from the sign-in sheet and the people that arrived after that, we had some 126 people. WOW. Plantwise...we were about 2600. That's amazing.

I know I took home great plants, a full tummy and a very full heart. Thanks to everyone for sharing such terrific plants with us and helping here and there whereever it was needed.

Did I mention the FOOD. Goodness...gardeners sure can cook! Deelish!

I was talking to the Hallman's (rastegecko). At the very first swap, Noah was just a toddler & now his baby sister, Naomi, is a toddler and Noah is seven years old! I can't think of a better way to gage time than a plant swap.

I hope you all got some goodies to take home to your gardens. I surely did.

Thanks again. Have a GREAT summer.

Beverly

• strmywthr3
    17 years ago

well guys, I had a great time at my first ever plant swap!! I picked up a lot of great plants. a lot more than I brought. I got a few "prizes" including a midnight wine weigela, munstead lavender and a japanese painted fern. I really want to thank everyone who brought such wonderful plants. I really hope that I can bring much more and much better plants next year.

thanks to Beverly and Mimi and everyone who made the day so much fun!!
    Barbi

• pomly
    17 years ago

It was such a beautiful day! I had a great time! Big big thanks to Beverly and the other organizers. A truly wonderful event!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops....I forgot a big THANK YOU to all the folks that brought those terrific door prizes!! It's so much fun to win a prize...there were so many that lots of people got to win.

Thanks again...Beverly

• trishohiozone5_6
    17 years ago

Beverly and Mimi,

Thanks for the wonderful time you provided for us all! The plants and the memories I'll enjoy for a long time.

Thanks again!
    Trish

P.S. Mimi are we going to have pictures again this year?

• sunburygirl
    17 years ago

Wonderful day, people, plants and food! What can I say except we now have California converts that really want to go back and start a plant swap of their own using our example. We took home some neat plants and even won a couple raffle gifts! Thanks you so much, Beverly and Mimi for your organization and hard work!

Nancy, Karen, Gene, Sharon, Lyla, Brenda, Jodi, Tammy and Sandy (plus exhausted dogs).

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks folks!...Sunbury Girl..it's awesome that the California clan is inspired to do a swap there. Swaps are so much fun. Love it.

Wow...Saturday was the ONLY day in the last 10 or 11 days that it hasn't rained. It's raining today in Hilliard. It's so awesome that we had such a beautiful perfect weather day in the midst of such a rainy spell.

Yippeee!

Beverly

• thinkdirt
    17 years ago

A BIG HUG AND THANK YOU TO BEVERLY AND MIMI. Every year the swap gets better and bigger, what a great day. So many plants and the food was outstanding. I sure didn't need any dinner last night to full from all the good stuff.

I brought home 18 plants everything I was looking for.

Hanging out with gardeners for a day is something very special.

Remember: Where flowers grow angels will sing.

JoAnn

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Ummm....I already said it all in the Ohio Valley forum....Now, in the days of Spike, I would be yanked if I repeated the same thing here, so I'm going to post the link...besides, I ran off at the fingers as usual.

One thing....WHAT is that skinny thin leaved thing someone brought and called in Sunflower?????????

Here is a link that might be useful: Ohio Valley post

• hostalavista
    17 years ago

THANK YOU, AND THANK YOU AGAIN, MIMI AND BEVERLY...
    Thank you, George for the Aloe, for my Dad.
    Thank you Granny for the Aloe for Dad and the other plants you brought for our special trade...
    Thank you EVERYONE for all the wonderful plants you brought.
    It is so much fun to share with people who appreciate.
    I just can't say thank you enough everyone.
    The food is always good. I think I filled my plate with every salad that was there and they were all sooo good!
    The Cavatini was Yum-A-Mimi !! haha
    I gave my compliments to the Weenie Chef! good and hot!
    I met new garden friends, but seemed like the time really flew by and I talked to all but missed some people.
    Just didn't seem like it was a long enough day...
    I didn't get anything on my list except, my Favorite Glass!!
    I got the great-longnecked pitcher... Shadowgarden,rebecca I wanted a mushroom so bad, but opted for the pitcher first, I think you made it for ME! and I think the mushrooms were all gone on the first pick! I don't know if you noticed but you should have seen all the people around the glass, children too, and the nicest thing about it, everyone seemed to get the thing they each wanted on the first pick!! Gardeners are the greatest... And the BIG KIDS, decided if we didn't get what we wanted, there was always next year...
    Like I said, plant wise I don't think I got anything on my list, but I did get some great things, OH I take that back, I wanted and got the Pink Yarrow that I believe Mimi brought.
    I didn't get Joe's address for the plants he was going to compost if people don't come to get them.
    Diane, I think you are doing the fall swap, I forgot to sign up for the info for a Fall Sale you were talking about, could you email that info, and tell me if Joe will still have some plants left, I think someone wanted to trade him some stuff so he may have changed his mind for people to come get them... thanks linda
    OK I know I have more to say but don't want to bend your ear too much... Hosta la vista Babeeee... Linda

• alison
    17 years ago

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

What a wonderful time! I think this was the first year it's been far more about the people than the plants for me -- I never did get a chance to tour the plants before the swap began!

Of course, travelling with as many Campbells as I was, I knew I'd be late -- didn't expect my mother and sister to arrive with their trunk-full-of-hosta after things actually began! (Next year I need to tell them that it starts at 8am....)

But we all had a wonderful time. It was great to meet all of my gardening buddies, and it was also neat to share my fondness for plants with my cousin, my sister, my mother, and my wonderful friend of 36 years, who lives near Columbus, but I don't see often enough.

My mother and sister were taking notes for a swap down south, and my cousin picked up some great plants, and good ideas to research before fall for her in0need front yard, and I got some wonderful lamium and pulmonaria for my friend Di's shady garden. She'll be so surprised when she comes back from her retreat to find such bounty on her stoop!

I picked up a pretty iris -- does anyone know anything more about it?
    {{gwi:817793}}

Thanks to all the folks I had side trades with. shadowdancer, the glass flower is beautiful, and matches the decor in my dining room to a tee. As soon as I find a fitting vase, it will grace my mantel and make me thing of you. Bev, Mimi, Margie -- I'm undone by your generosity! So many fabulous plants! The dragon's blood sedum and the lavender are already in place, and the Settimo is potted up in a lordly pot awaiting final placement. Margie -- I've got a crazy idea to use that Wind Dancer as the hair of a clay person -- just need to get the right clay person!

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful time -- let's do this again next year, shall we?

• hagey
    17 years ago

Beverly & Mimi,
    Thanks. A big thanks to both for all your hard work. We really enjoyed the exchange and visiting your gardens. It was fun to see everyone and also meet new people. We already have plans to do more trades.
    We got some wonderful plants from personal trades and also from the exchange. It is nice to go out to the garden and see the plants we received from the exchange. We lived in Upper Arlington, OH a long time ago and it seems like going home for a visit when we come back for the exchange.
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful plants. Ron & Betty

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

Well aren't you folks too kind?!! You are welcome. Beverly and I have a great time doing this swap.

I want to thank everyone for being so generous and kind. You are all a very well behaved bunch and make it easy for the swap to go so well. Thanks to those who brought the great doorprizes! They really add to the fun.

Yes, Trish, there will be pictures! Lee is working on posting them to our family web site and I will post a link as soon as he gets it done. (Tonight I hope!)

I guess I'll have to make signs for bulbs and what was that other category? You all just keep on coming up with more great ideas!

Thanks again for making the swap such a great event!

~~Mimi

• xaroleht
    17 years ago

Thank you Beverly and Mimi and their T D & H 's that did such a great job planning & running the swap. Thank you to everyone who gave us such great choices in plants. Thank you to Betty, Ron, & Granny who thought of Noah & Naomi and brought special things for them. Betty & Ron the hostas will have a special place in our garden and remind us of our friends up North. Thanks Dave for the toms. James really appriciated them since he didn't get any started this year. Mimi, Naomi loves her chair; whoever brought all the roses, Noah was sooooo happy he got 3 of his 4 choices. Thanks to whoever brought the Frances Williams hosta, James loves it! And I am one of the very lucky ones who got one of the WONDERFUL glass mushrooms...Thank you,thank you, thank you. Now to the planting. Everyone have a great summer and we can't wait to see you in the fall.

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

thanks for a great day to bev & mimi!!!!
    Last year was my first time, and i really debated this year about coming since i was so busy at work and home(4 college graduation & 4 highschool graduations and 3 middleschool graduations in the family) and then the weather has not been all that for gardening. Well again it was worth the drive.

I wasn't looking for anything in particular but came away with a great little treasure trove of things that hadn't occured to me yet. Thanks whoever brought all the 'squirrel's corn'(i got 6) i've had one sad little one under my hickory tree. maybe they will become a happy family. when i was a kid we lived at the edge of a great beechwood forest that was carpetted with dutchman's britches that we picked with abandon for spring bouqets-- so the squirrel corn is a great treat for me. Also I really liked getting the nice clumps of northern sea oats. I hope comphery will be happy with the site i've got for it-- i plan on it being able to produce lots of leaves to make
    comfrey tea to use in the garden.

I hope whoever got my sad little clethra can make it happy--
    i bought it on the recommendation of others who said it was wonderfully fragrant-- that true but a litterbox can be wonderfully fragrant too. next time i'll ask more questions.

I'm looking for more woodland natives if anyone wants to trade some with me (send an email)

the highlight of my trip to columbus, other than the swap, the people, the plants and the food-- was a chance to stop by Baker's Acres (thanks gardengirl and company for directions). Oh, what a treat to go there. oh, how expensive to go there and treat my self. i bertter be intercepting that charge card bill!!!(i just plain ran out of cash. I really enjoyed my two hours there. next time i'll have to stick to a shopping list!!! but some things are just so hard to find as a plant in a gardenceter in my area-- i like to see my plant before i buy it. Thanks also to whoever suggested by the forum to try there for kerria- they had the one i wanted.

Til next year then. and come and find me on the greatlakes forum-- i get lonely there as everyone seems to be from zone 4 areas of the greatlakes. in the meantime i'll be checking into the ohio valley.

diggerb

• dianemgarrett
    17 years ago

Hi,
    As usually things go along very smoothly. I got a lot of plants, so I will learn as they grow. Beverly & Mimi thanks alot for the swap this spring. Hope you got $30.00 for shelter house rental? The weather was great & meeting new friends.
    I love the garden junk things. Thoese wonderful glass ornaments where gone in the first trade. All wonderful. Thanks to Karen for donating the hypertuffer I won.
    Michigoose I brought the thin leaves sunflower. I got it from one of the earlier swap. The blooms late 3-4" sunflower. But the plant grows 6-7' tall & will reseed.

II FALL SWAP will be same shelter house, same schedule, on SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 16, 2006. Tell your friends. Will be on garden web later. Enjoy all your new plants.
    cottage bloom Diane Garrett

• hostalavista
    17 years ago

Hi.
    Hey, diggerb2, I got your clethra, I'll see what I can do with it...
    Also I brought some of the Sea Oats, I wonder if you got some of mine? I thought it was funny that maybe we got each others plants! linda

• storygardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, Digger...I brought about 5 pots of sea oats too. I love them. I could have brought another 5 pots full. Yes, it reseeds. Don't you just LOVE Baker's Acres. It's a treasure out in the county, indeed. It's the one place to find those "hard to find" goodies. If you have a chance...get their catalogue sometime. It's really funny. Between the swap and Bakers, your car must have been loaded!

Hi Diane...so glad you had a good time at the swap. I got one sof your Perennial Sunflowers! Bakemom clued me in on it. I think you got a pot of it from her last year, pehaps. Yes, we did get the money to cover the expenese (rental, picnic supplies) Thanks for asking. The first two years, we didn't - so I am glad we do now. I'll let folks know about the fall swap

Now, I need to get all these plants in the ground. I'll need some help...with a sore foot. But, I'll manage.

I like clethra...it's a pretty shrub. Enjoy!

Good gardening.........Beverly

• granny57
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Been having pc problems.
    Anyway;
    Beverly and Mimi,
    My Thanks To the Two Of You Is;
    Not just for all the time and prep work the two of you spend putting this together,But for making it FUN!! As you all know from reading my posts;I am a big Cutup and Jokester, You two have made everything for me a great experience, One I will always have fond Memories of!!
    ((As long as I don't lose my Memory))LOL1
    I have enjoyed Your Wonderful sense of Humor,
    Your Warmth and Kindness toward others, And the way you make us feel Welcome.It comes so Honest and Natural from you two,It's almost like your one!Your so delightful and easy to be around.But most of all,You have that Charm about you,That puts you at ease, makes you feel Comfortable.
    And If I don't feel comfortable anywhere I am, I Leave!!
    And never go back.((Now You Know How To Get Rid Of ME))!LOL
    And that folks;
    Is the reason why the swap;
    Hosted by Beverly and Mimi
    Is such a success!!
    With that being said;
    Thank You Both Again,From The Bottom Of My Heart!!
    Granny57
    P.S.
    A Special Thank You To MIMI!!!For lending ME Your Tall, Dark,And Handsome((Non Surgical)) Gardener Guy. The one I was supposed to bring!! LOL! Lee, If it weren't for your HELP!!I'd still be there loading and unloading!
    ((Those Wonderful Healthy Legs))!!!
    So an extra special Thanks To You Lee. You made my time there alot less painful.
    Bless You!!

• gardengirl_17
    17 years ago

To echo what everyone else has already said, a huge THANKS to Beverly, Mimi and everyone else who made the swap so wonderful. Each year I get to meet more people who share my sickness for plants! :)

Betty and Ron - thanks for the Hosta trade. All of my new hosta babies are planted in their new homes!

Linda Fourpaws - thank you so much for the lovely woodland plants. Ferns, trilliums and bleeding hearts. They're so lovely!

Diane - I also got one of your perennial sunflowers. Bakemom was a great salesperson!

Noah - I brought the 2 Ballerina roses. If you got one (or both) of them, I hope they will be very happy for you! They are long bloomers.

Barbi (Stormyweather3) - I didn't realize this was your first swap. Thanks a TON for helping me and my DH unload and finish labeling the plants. Because of all the rain, we didn't finish digging until Saturday morning. You were such a sweetie to help us and I'm really glad you got one of the dwarf Weigelas we brought.

DiggerB - I'm glad you found your way to Bakers Acres. Truly one of my favorite places on earth!

See you all on the Web and again at the swap in the Fall!
    Kim

• granny57
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed talking with everyone and meeting new people and visiting with all I could.I know you all make the swap what it is,But you wouldn't come back either if it wasn't fun and comfy.
    BTW,
    I have a Question,
    Who brought the Scooter Hosta??
    Our sweet loveable Mini Pen's name is Scooter. I'd love to have a start of it. I'm sure I can find something to trade with you.I have lots of Hosta and perennials and have access to other things If I don't happen to have what you want.
    Also,Can whoever brought the grasses in the plastic baggies tell me what kind it is or how tall it gets?Thanks!!
    Granny57
    P.S.Beverly and Mimi,Are you using the Spiderman and Batman
    Bandaids Yet???You two need Superhuman Bandaids to get well and Mend.LOL
    May You Have many Yesterdays!!!

• princess_mimi
    17 years ago

Hi! Finally here are this year's pictures of the swap. They are on our family's web site. Lee wanted to make it just right before posting. Click on the thumbnails for larger pics.

Enjoy!

~~Mimi

Here is a link that might be useful: 2006 swap photos

• alison
    17 years ago

Nice!

• strmywthr3
    17 years ago

great pics! I even found the back end of me in one!! lol I can't wait for next years swap.

Kim, thanks again for the weigela! it's doing great.

Barbi

• gardengirl_17
    17 years ago

Great pics Mimi! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your desserts - I mean all of YOU in the fall! And of course the plants too ;)

Kim

• dianemgarrett
    17 years ago

COLUMBUS OHIO PLANT SWAP/POTLUCK II SAT. SEPTEMBER 16, 2006

Date: SEPTEMBER 16, 2006 (Tell your friends)

Time: 10:00 - 3:00 Shelter house #5

Place: Hilliard Municipal Park on Veterans Memorial Dr, Hilliard, Ohio. Take outer belt I-270 & go west getting off at Cemetery Rd exit (go toward hilliard). 2 miles until right past Main St. Cemetery dead ends into Scioto Darby - turn right . Go a few blocks down & turn left onto Veterans Memorial Dr. First shelter house on the right #5 (same shelter house as spring swap).

Material : Plant well-rooted cutting in pots, bulbs, shrubs, garden ornaments or junk art, garden magazines bundled up & gardening books. Please mark containers with kind of flower plus sun or shade. Use old containers, cups & for labels use plastic forks (or old blinds) with black permanent markers.

Potluck: I donÂt know which is best the food or plant swap. Please bring a dish to share & utensils (mark your name) and any beverage. I will provide plates, cups & napkins.

10:00 - 12:00 People start arriving . Sign in at registration table with the # of plants, e-mail, sign up for door prizes & name tags. Donation jar for the shelter house which cost $30.00 to rent. Put your plants you brought to trade into there areas.(perennial, herbs, shrubs. Daylily, iris est.) Visit with other gardeners & view all the plants ready to trade. This swap is patterned after Beverly & Mimi fourth year plant swap. Last fall in September we had a small group of 50 traders but, lots of daylilies, iris & other plants !!

12:00 Enjoy our wonderful potluck. After lunch door prizes donated by our wonderful gardeners friends. Many thanks!!

1:00 Round robin: What we are all waiting for!! Round robin one everyone selects 1 plants. Round robin two everyone take 1 plants. Round robin 3 everyone takes two plants. Round robin 4 everyone takes three. Round robin 5 everyone takes 4 plants & so on. Everyone should be able to take as many plants as they brought. At the end there is usually a lot of plants left over for any one to take (some of use bring extra plants).

Tips of the day: Please bring a wagon the help everyone unload there plants ( mark your wagon no trade). Folding chairs, table for plants, potluck dish & of course all these wonderful plants to trade. Any question go on line fellow swapers will help answer any questions.
    R.S.V.P : www.gardennweb.com./forums/get-together Then click on the Ohio valley or plant swap. You will find Central Ohio plant swap/potluck. IÂ canÂt wait until September for another swap .

See you at the swap. Happy gardening!! Diane Garrett

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus