SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Signs Of Autumn

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

Since we're deep enough into the autumn gloom type weather that we're clearly seeing signs of autumn in our landscapes and the surrounding countryside, I thought I'd start this thread.

So, the question is.....what signs of autumn are you seeing where you live?

In our area, they are these: The blooms of the goldenrod, prairie blazing star (liatris) and autumn sage are winding down. The native fall asters still look pretty good, but I think the snow-on-the-prairie has peaked.

The hummers are migrating and the purple martins are long gone. Other types of birds are flocking. I've heard geese or ducks migrating on a couple of the cold fronts that have come through, although it seems early for that.

The leaves of the native elms and persimmons are turning yellow (elms) and golden-yellow (almost orangey) in the case of the persimmons.

The foliage of the poison ivy is turning a brilliant red.

The four o-clocks are blooming madly (they've bloomed all summer, but are covered in tons more blooms now) and setting seed.

The native warm-season grasses are setting seedheads. I do love the seedheads of some of them....like the purple sand love grass (which, ironically, grows in our heavy clay as well as in sand) and the brushy bluestem that grows in our swamp.

The maximilian sunflowers are in their full glory and starting to decline.

Deer stands are sprouting in open fields near wooded areas, and people in camo clothing are driving up and down our road looking for deer. (I don't want to speculate on what they'll do if they see one since hunting from the road is illegal, and almost none of us on our road allow hunting on our land.)

The pecan tree limbs are heavy with pecans and are blending down low. (Which, inexplicably, makes me think of the song "Do Your Ears Hang Low....." LOL).

Seeds of warm-season flowers that self-seed here like zinnias or tall verbena or hummingbird sage, and even tomatoes, have sprouted in the garden and we have lots of little baby plants. Lots of unwanted baby morning glory plants too.

Fluffy the Maine Coon Cat is getting his winter hair, so he's fluffier and fluffier by the day.

OK, those are my signs of fall.....oh, and the J. C. Penney store in Lewisville has its Christmas decorations up in the store (what, oh what, is the rush?), and CostCo has Christmas merchandise galore. I'm still in a fall mood, and not a Christmas one though.

It is sweatshirt weather here in Love County. I've started out in short sleeved tees the last two days, but have had to pull on a sweatshirt over them. We've been in the 50s for two straight days and I am longing for the 80s, or even the 70s.

So, what signs of fall are y'all seeing?

Dawn

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH