SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dkgarber

who or what is to blame for this defoliation??( (pics)

dkgarber
14 years ago

I thought it was beetles, but some plants have been completely stripped---not just "skeletonized" but every leaf gone w/only stems remaining. It is defintely a bug, as I am quite familiar w/rabbit damage-thats another story for another day!! Could it be grasshoppers? I do have tent caterpillars but wouldn't larvae damage occur much earlier in the season? This all happened in July-right when the beetles emerged (i have oriental and chafers)

Some plants that have been chewed up are: foxglove, bee balm and 2 other mints, catmint, montauk daisy, thyme, sage, lavender, may knight salvia, goldenrod, coral bells. No shrubs or trees have been heavily damaged-it seems to only be a particular area. Many are newly planted, the herbs are established.

Can my plants recover? What can I do to help them? And how can I prevent this next year? I usually do not use insecticide of any kind (clearly). I do use neem oil, but much of the damage occured in a buttefly garden, so I am afriad to kill the monarch cats if they are out feeding.

Here is a link that might be useful: some pictures of damaged plants

Comments (3)