SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunbiz

Canary Island Palms - brown powder growth on soil

sunbiz
15 years ago

I'm hoping someone can help me. I am growing a small crop of Canary Island Date Palms. Its a hobby I got into quite by accident, and I'm learning as I go. My palms are almost a year old. I germinated the seeds from a palm in my yard. They are doing well and most have a 2" or better trunk. They are currently in five gallon containers. They seem to be thriving, but I've noticed in a couple of containers that a brown powdery substance (looks like the brown smokey stuff that comes out of those puffy mushrooms when you step on them) is covering the soil. It was just one container at first; now its two others. The plants don't seem affected....yet. Living in Florida with all the recent rain from the hurricanes they have received more watering than I would like. I'm currently building a greenhouse for them to prevent that in the future. However, I'm concerned about this "growth" that appears to be spreading. I can scrape it off the top and still see the potting soil underneath. When I scrape it, it blows away like a light powder. Its the consistency and color of cocoa powder. Does anyone know what this is? If so, is it harmful? Can I get rid of it? I'm worried because I have mothered these 70 plus plants for almost a year, and hate the thought of something happening to them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional