SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalzone7_gw

San Diego Zoo 2010 pics

tropicalzone7
13 years ago

I went to San Diego a week or 2 ago and was really surprised by the plant collection especially the palms and cycads. I might need some help with the ID, but based on my knowledge and the tags they provided, I hope to ID most of these pics for you! Here they are.

WARNING:THERE ARE A LOT OF PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we all know what these palms are, Washingtonias. Very common, but took a pic anyways

I was surprised by the large amount of Butia palms in the area. They all looked extremely healthy and this one was in bloom.

Buita grove

Im not sure what this one was so an ID would be great. For reference, this will be photo #106 (yep, still 106 more to go!)

Philodendron. Im pretty sure I know exactly which one it is, but I would have to look it up and I have a lot more pics to show!

Look at this huge and healthy staghorn fern!!!

Some bromeliads, not sure of the type though (photo #103)

Staghorn fern, probably a different species, but not sure which one.

Chamaedorea (not sure of species) (photo #101)

Not really sure what palm this is. The fronds remind me of a mule palm. (photo #99)

Fishtail palm.

Cycads, probably dioons, but Im not sure at all. (photo #97)

I love the look of lady palms.

Dragon tree, they were pretty common, some pretty old in the area.

Nice looking ponytail palm

Polar bear cleaning itself against a queen palm frond. The frond had to be at least 9 feet long, probably more.

Bird on dead tree trunk, possibly palm tree trunk.

Nice looking agave, but Im not sure of the exact species. (photo #90)

More agaves!

Flamingoes!

Bamboo (photo #87)

Not sure what plant this is. (photo #86)

Flamingoes again

King palms.

I think this is the same type of tree earlier in the post whos ID I was unsure of. If you know it, I would greatly appreciate the ID of it! (photo #82)

Norfolk island pine in the foreground, but Im not sure what pine is in the background. ID would be great!! (photo #81)

Nice looking cactus

Elephants

Eucalyptus which were everywhere in San diego especially in the zoo.

Not sure of the ID of this cacti (photo #73)

This is an interesting tree! Anyone know the ID (photo# 71 (I skipped numbers since Im not osting every pic on my photobucket))

Dragon tree with that interesting tree again this time in the background.

Larger dragon tree

Ginger

European fan palms

Ponytail palm

Agaves. I used to know the ID, but I forgot, so if anyone know it, I would greatly appreciate it (photo #63)

Nice flowering shrub. ID? (Photo# 62)

Snake plants

Bananas

Dioon mejiae doing alright

Not sure of the ID of this cycad (photo #57)

Younger lady palms

King palm

Deer, I think? (photo # 54)

Giraffes

This was in the hawaiian native plant exhibit. Not sure what type of palm it is, but my guess is its a Pritchardia (photo #52)

Fishtail

Not sure of this palm, maybe its a fishtail? (photo #50)

Macraw palm

Ginger flower stages

Dwarf sugar cane

Macraw palm (photo #46)

Livistonia saribus

Really tall Alexander palms

Macrozamia moorei

Pritchardia munroi

Olulu. This hawaiian native can now no longer live in the wild since whatever pollinated it is now extinct. It now has to be hand pollinated and is slowly growing again in number

Ficus?? (photo #38)

trithrinax acanthocoma

Huge philodendron. Some of the ones at the zoo had trunks that just winded around the entire ground. They must be pretty old.

Im really not sure of this tree. Hopefully a few pics of it and its flowers will help ID it. It didnt have any leaves on it (and this is summer), but it had a few blooms. (photo #35-#33)

King palm again

Bird room

Tree fern (photo #28)

Pandas

Im guessing saw palmetto? (photo # 23 (the photo numbers skipped a little again)

Ginger

Queen palms

Bismarkia palm (photo #20)

Clivia (these are usually spring bloomers but it was pretty cool when I was in San Diego so maybe it forced it to bloom some more)

Banana flowers and fruit (its hard to see in the first pic because its shaded)

Chamaedorea but again, not sure what type. (photo #14)

More queens swaying in the breeze

I think this palm looks familiar....Its a windmill palm!

King palms

Staghorn fern

Sabal palmetto seedling

More huge staghorn fern clumps

Not sure about this palm. (photo #6)

This hibiscus had some pretty huge flowers. I tried to stretch my fingers as far out as I could but the bloom was still a bit larger than my hand. Thats pretty big for a tropical hibiscus bloom.

Seriously, thats an impressive staghorn fern. This isnt a very humid climate so seeing it thrive like that is really something. It looks amazing!

Windmill palm again. The trunk was pretty large in diameter on these windmills

And a staghorn fern that looks like it wasnt added too long ago.

I really enjoyed wandering around the zoo to see all the plants. It was really clean and beautiful. I probably missed out on many other interesting plants, but I think these pics are more than enough to look through! Sorry if the pics are too much, but I hope you enjoy looking at them. I hope that I can find a few IDs for these trees. Thanks for looking!!!!!

-Alex

Comments (14)