SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spademilllane

Third Year of Grapes Results

spademilllane
13 years ago

I thought I would share with the forum my results for grapes after the third year. These were the typical grapes vines one buys at the big box stores--Thompson Seedless, the red seedless, concords, and other varieties. I bought these before I discovered sources for the more exotic varieties/wine grapes online.

I planted them in unamended soil that was already nice and black. We have strands of nice soil here close to the Canadian on the east side of OKC (Forest Park, Lake Aluma, etc). I planted them on the south side of the house. This might have been a mistake.

The first year they flourished and grew wild. I had no complaints. The second year they grew very well at the beginning of the season, but they began to suffer in the heat and from bugs. By the end of the year they were devastated by caterpillars. This year they started out well, but caterpillars quickly went to work on them. Also, they developed fungus and rust as well as mites. I broke down and sprayed with Sevin which worked for a while but even then it was a losing battle. They had lost their vigor. I haven't checked for nematodes or other possible soil invaders (grubs, etc.). The heat in July and August devastated the plants and they just didn't recover until about a week ago. They have now started to leaf out again but it isn't very impressive.

There were actually grapes in season 2, but this year absolutely nothing. I'm contemplating pulling them up. As Dawn once said if something requires constant attention then it doesn't belong in a large garden (in my case 5 acres). I feel like a teacher who knows a child will succeed if only one had the time to spend on tutoring....in the case of the grapes, I'm beginning to think they require way too much attention to succeed.

Comments (14)