SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda_schreiber_gw

Japanese/Oriental/Asiatic beetles?

linda_schreiber
16 years ago

In the 1960s, as a little kid in Ohio, we had problems with Japanese beetles in the garden. I clearly remember what they looked like, and how they acted. Have seen them only occasionally and off-and-on since.

I have lived in SE Michigan for the last couple of decades. In the last few days, I've seen an infestation of beetles that look and act just like the ones I remember of old, but the color is wrong. No blue-green irridescence. Just bronze. But all the behavior is the same..... When I searched 'Japanese Beetles', I found

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef409.asp

and the picture there is identical to what I am seeing. But again, the color is not what I remember.

I also run across references to oriental beetles and asiatic beetles....... Does anyone know the specifics here? I always like to ID the thing I'm potentially battling .

The weedy wild grape leaves are skeletonized, which would be fine with me if only the vines died off as well........ But they have started decimating the Joe-Pye Weed and the Morning Glory, and there are indications that they are working on some other planted things.

I suspect that I need to deal with them as if they were the 'Japanese Beetles' I knew of old. But are these the same critters, or cousins of those critters? Just curious.

Linda

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions