SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shallot_gw

Fruit trees and berry bushes

shallot
11 years ago

Hey guys, I am hoping to get some advice on a fruit tree and some berry bushes. We just moved house in July and are looking to get a fruit tree for the front yard and 3-4 berry bushes for the backyard. Actually those things are mine and my boyfriend's birthday gifts to each other! We have not purchased any of them yet as I'd read that fall is the time to plant them. So now I have a bunch of newbie questions to ask!

- We were thinking a peach tree would be a good fruit tree for our front yard as we heard peaches do well in this area. Can anyone recommend any specific varieties that would do well? Our front yard faces west.

- I also heard that blackberries will grow well here but raspberries will not (disappointing!). I don't know anything about blueberries except them need amended soil?

What varieties have you grown that do well in OK? I checked the OSU fact sheet but some extra opinions would be great. We are not too fussy about what berry bushes we have, they do not all need to be the same but we want somehting we can keep alive! The spot they would go is fairly shaded, but gets late aftrenoon sun.

- We were planning on getting them from sooner plant farms as they seem to have good reviews and I figured what would grow in their area should also grow here in norman. Hopefully! Is this a good time of year to buy and plant them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Charlotte

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider