SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joellenh_gw

Jo's garden update.

joellenh
13 years ago

Larry was nice enough to check up on me via email, which reminded me I haven't been around lately. I thought I'd post a quick update.

I finally got the Elbon Rye (50 pounds for $15 special ordered from a local feed store). It looks like I will be using way more than I thought, because as I am pulling up spent summer crops I am finding root knot in most, if not all, of my beds. I'm starting to think they must be native to the soil in my yard.

Even so, I keep trying. I have several tomato plants still slowwwly producing (although my Brandywine is still alive and looks healthy, it has yet to produce a single tomato. I planted it in APRIL). I am having the same problem with a pole bean plant. It has never had a single flower or bean. Something (cutworms)? has been cutting my greens off at the base of the plant...chard etc look fine one day, and the next day it looks like someone cut them with scissors right where they meet the soil. Sweet potatoes that I started myself months ago from a grocery store potato and planted keep getting dug up by a mole (I think). I see holes and part of the plant just pulled underground.

I keep trying, and just planted some fall leaf crops (lettuce and spinach) and some more herbs. I am doubling my garden for next spring and have been busy smothering grass with cardboard. That way if half of my stuff dies I will still have enough!

I also bought a worm composter on Craigslist and started worm composting...it's really neat, and I hope I don't kill my worms. I have a black thumb.

Jo

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus