SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Roasting Peppers

elkwc
13 years ago

I've finally found time to start on my peppers. I will eat or give away most of the bell peppers as I pick them. Still trying to decide what to do with the other sweet types. Usually use them in salsa mixed with some hots but most weren't ready when I had the big tomato harvest. The wind over the last week has broke some limbs and twisted the plants where they don't look as nice as they did. Still overall a nice harvest especially on the Chile and hot types. I took a few pictures although not real good ones of some of the plants. May get some more. I run a few through the food processor and freeze. But most I roast. On some especially the smaller jalapeno's I just roast on the grill about 1/3-1/2 of the time if fully roasting. Then bag and freeze. I use these in chili and eat all winter. Most of the chili's I fully slow roast. Then remove the loose skin and either eat fresh or freeze in freezer bags or small containers. I have been told after fully roasting you can vacuum seal them and they will stay good just like the canned ones you buy at the store. I thought I might try 1-2 bags as an experiment this year. I will try to finish up in the next week then give the rest away. They have been real good this year. I planted several varieties that don't get as large but have a great flavor. The NM Chili's and Colossal Kim from CO have done real well this year. I will update this more as I finish up. I will attach the link to my photo bucket site to this post also. The other NM chile types I grew were a Navajo pepper and Big Chilie Hybrid.

The jalapenos I grew this year were TAM Jalapeno, Senorita Jalapeno, Grande Jalapeno and Purple Jalapeno.

The other hots I grew were Hungarian Yellow and Hungarian Volcano. Very similar but different. The HY is a smaller plant. The HV is hotter and sets heavier and earlier. Neither Zavory set any fruit. Beautiful plants.

Ozark Bell and Green Giant have been 2 nice bell types this year. Will save seeds from them. I also grew Whopper Improved, FatNSassy, Bonnie Bell and Colossal Hybrid Bell. I will save seeds from most of the OP's.

Giant Marconi Red was the best of the other sweets. Bull's Horn Sweet Italian and Amish Sweet Pimento were very good also. The other non sweet I grew was Aji Dulce. I think it is a longer season type and needs to be started and planted earlier than I do my other peppers. Most if not all of the sweets can be started and transplanted earlier. I never plant the hot types till I do okra which is usually around memorial day.

My plans for next year is too cut my sweet peppers basically down to what I will eat fresh and might use in salsa. 6-10 plants. And expand my NM chilie types to 20-30 plants. I will regrow Colossal Kim, NM Chili, Navajo Chilie, and add2-4 from NMSU. The Jalapenos I will grow will probably be one from NMSU, Purple Jalapeno and Grande Jalapeno. I will also grow Hungarian Volcano.

I will probably grow Ozark Bell, Green Giant Bell and Fat N Sassy Bell. Other sweets will be Amish Sweet Pimento, Giant Marconi Red,Bulls Horn Sweet Italian and Alma Paprika(My strain has some heat).

Look forward to seeing other reviews and plans for next year. I will be updating my tomato reviews and also adding my list for 11 soon. Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

Comments (13)