SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Hurricane Earl--Going to be an 'interesting' week!

User
13 years ago

Anyone concerned about the impact of Hurricane Earl on their palm (and other plant) collections. Looks like it may be a close call for the area from the Outer Banks to Cape Cod. I don't mind the torrential rain in this year of drought, drought and more drought, but the wind is a different story. Tomorrow, I'll force myself to set up some of the benches in the greenhouse just in case. In the olden days, I would start taking some stuff in around Labor Day, but lately the heat continues so far into the Fall, that I don't start taking them inside until October, November and December.

Comments (44)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Im not too concerned about Earl yet. Most of the projected paths are keeping the storm away from the coast but it can be a close call. If it heads toward the western part of the projected path, we can all be in big trouble. Hurricane conditions would be likely in the outer banks, eastern long island and cape cod if it takes a very western track. Looks like we should be spared, but maybe a chance of some clouds or rain.
    Lets hope it doesnt take a track like bertha in 1996. If it does there would be a ton of damage along the coast because earl is suppose to be a major hurricane once it reaches the latitude of the mid atlantic states!!
    If it looks like earl is going to hit than some of the top heavy plumerias would have to go in as well as my queen palm (it doesnt like wind one bit), and a few other plants would have to be tied up so they dont break). It really doesnt look like we will be seeing my from Earl over here (maybe the outer banks and cape cod and especially atlantic canada though)
    Good luck! Everyone along the coast should definitely be prepared for the worst and keep an eye out for Earl. Looks like it will be in the area around Friday.
    -Alex

• Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
    13 years ago

We just moved our boat from the Hatteras marina (NC) to the Intercoastal Waterway...so it will be protected from the tidal surges and wind...others have started bringing their charter boats up through the intercoastal waterway as well to protect the boats from the exposed outer banks.

WE are all keepin a close eye on this strong storm and hope that is stays far east of us...but we still could feel the effects like rain and strong winds...My Trees are all tied to the decks and other pots have large rocks around some of the others...My Divive will have many rocks around it this time!!! No more broken branches :(

Lets keep our fingers crossed that it veers out to sea and leaves us alone... Good Luck all!!!

Laura in VB

• Related Discussions

Hurricane Season and the Balcony - Here we go again!

Q

Comments (12)
    PV - My poor figs had almost defoliated earlier this summer from some strong winds so since they have finally started growing leaves again (plus they are popping out figs), I hauled them just inside my balcony door. I will haul the crape in too once the wind starts since it had gotten almost defoliated earlier as well with the figs (I just sprayed it for PM and it's finally getting ready to bloom - a bit late). Meg - yeah, I think we are all so involved in so many other things that things like that slip our minds! That's why I did my mental check this morning because I know inevitably I'd forget something and there I would be, running out on the soaking wet balcony in the windy whipping rain, in the pitch black, trying to drag some wet plant that fell over, inside! LOL I left my hanging hoyas out because they are well back from the rail and in the far eastern corner and should be okay there. The hibiscus came in (that's a nuisance to move but it defoliates in wind real easily). I'm going to leave the passifloras out because they are already back from the rail and made it through Isabel last year. The habs came in as well as the oleander, the Stephanotis, a fuchsia, a lantana, a plumie, 2 christmas cactuses, and a pointsetta that I had rescued out of the trashroom this past spring (LOL). I'm leaving the EEs out there as well as my white bird of paradise and my prickly pear cactus (which I pulled back from the rail). I'll bring in the gardenia as soon as it gets dark (it's been drizzling on and off). The rest of the stuff can get rained on including the coffee plant (it should love that since those shrubs supposedly like something like 70+ inches of rain per year... LOL). I'm surprised my building didn't put up notices about the balconies like they did last year in preparation for Isabel, considering I know a bunch of folks have umbrellas out there (and they're open too...). Oh well... I guess we'll have to hang on and see what happens. I know that when Bonnie came by, we didn't even get any rain at all, which was somewhat surprising given the hype around here about her...
    ...See More

in prep of hurricane?

Q

Comments (28)
    I know, the tomatoes are the least of my worries, lol. easier to stay calm focusing on that though. we're as prepared as I think we can be. got plenty of water for everyone, stocked up on non perishables, batteries, etc. got a freezer full of ice blocks and a cooler to get a few more hours of refrigeration. got a stocked first aid kit, have a working mental list of who else is around to help each other out (doctors, guys with big trucks, neighbors with generators, etc). the worst power outage we've been through was a couple of days (iirc it was three and a half, summer of 2001 when most of the northeast went dark), definitely not fun. I'm hoping it doesnt get that bad, but time will tell. about 5 years ago we got hit by a northeaster at high tide, JFK airport can open floodgates to prevent flooding of the runways and that caused flooding in my area. assuming that will happen again, although afaik, the airport is currently closed to all incoming flights and most scheduled outgoing flights have been cancelled. my sister in NJ just told me they've issued a tornado watch in her area, that scares me abit 'cuz I've never been through that before. but then again, we just experienced out first earthquake here last week. crazy weather patterns these days! thanks for the prayers, zackey. trying to stay in a good mood for the kids. the last thing they need is a stressed out mom (or they will all end up in my bed tonight, and that's the last thing I need!)
    ...See More

Hurricane Earl....yikes....

Q

Comments (58)
    Just heard on TWC that a tree's down on the tracks in New Haven, CT so Amtrak is down between Boston & NYC. I was wondering why we've not heard any trains!! Don't know if the heavy downpours loosened it or if they caught a wind gust. Unfortunate place for it to fall. Lots of people heading to NE from NYC for the long weekend. Pressure here is at 29.51 and falling. That's not very impressive. Rain bands have filled in & we're getting pretty much steady rain now. /t
    ...See More

'Vase filler' type stuff for hurricane style candle holders?

Q

Comments (17)
    Pastel M&M's Small colored/clear plastic eggs Dried lavender flowers Fine/medium pot pourri Silk flowers taken off their stems Dried flowers/large petals - delphinium florets or rose petals are the ones I've used Small/medium size natural rocks - a more natural/organic look but come in many colors Large beads if you could buy in bulk so not as expensive Look in the bulk section of your grocery store. There are many things that can work - just pick a color you like or mix a few different ones together. Anything dried with a texture can look interesting. I've used flavored whole coffee beans and they impart a nice scent in the room for awhile. One idea I like altho have never done yet is to plant some grass in a container and put tealights on it. Seem to recall it may have been Martha Stewart's idea. Perhaps there were small colored eggs on it as well. I know Michaels has quite a few vase fillers such as the glass marbles, shells, rocks, etc. Oakleyok, I love your painted pinecones! So many possibilities for color.
    ...See More
  • User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is beginning to feel like the proverbial calm before the storm. Crystal clear,hot, no humidity, no breeze and eerie quiet. Getting a bad feeling about this one. Models are beginning to creep westward.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I think that hurricane conditions will occur for the outer banks and cape cod as well as possibly eastern long island and new england. But its going to be one HUGE storm! The National Hurricane Center is predicting sustained winds to be as high as 145 mph!!! Even as it approaches the area its expected to have Max. winds sustained around 120mph. If it makes a landfall than it can really be the storm of the century for some. Even if it doesnt make a landfall (and I dont think it will), it will still bring heavy rain and wind (maybe some damaging gusts) for all the land areas that stick out!
    I definitely think all of us along the east coast should be prepared just in case.
    -Alex

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TZ, we already had OUR 'hurricane' party---BACK IN MARCH!! It was CRAZY up here. We had hurricane force winds and above for about 24 hours. I thought the roof was going to lift off the house (my house is over 100 years old though and guess it's been through a LOT.) To give you some idea of what it was like, wind-driven rain water was actually coming into the house THROUGH the east facing walls of the house. I've NEVER seen that before but this is the kind of weird stuff you get with actual hurricanes.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Yeah, that nor'easter was terrible here too and I only had half my power for 4 days!! Some homes had all the gutters and most of the siding ripped off and a few of those houses have yet to fix it. I saw a few roofs that were damaged. There was one point where winds definitely gusted at hurricane force and I honestly think that nor'easter will be much worse than whatever earl brings to my area.
    As of now they are predicting SUSTAINED winds at hurricane force for the outerbanks and cape cod so it could be a bad situation for them. Also they are expecting winds now to be as high as 145mph at the center of Earl before weakening a little bit as it heads toward the east coast of the USA.
    Its definitely one very very powerful hurricane and it has the potential to really damage the east coast if it hits directly.

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

I agree NJ Oasis "Getting a bad feeling about this one. Models are beginning to creep westward." We have been spared so many times that the probability that some part of our area getting a strong blow from Earl is higher.

Being raised on Long Island, NY I have seen many a hurricane and Tropical Storms that have been supposedly down-graded unexpectedly produce periods of pouring rain at hurricane force and sometimes quite far off from the storm center. Hurricanes Belle and Gloria devasted parts of Long Island years ago. 20 years ago TS David raked Long Island including Queens and Brooklyn by surprise - they said just some windy reminants shall pass thru the next morning. That moring we were in hurricane force winds for hours. Coastal NYC saw a steady gale of 50 mph with gusts easily to 70 mph up to 4 hours and the waves even in the bay turned oceanic and boats were smashed. Earl's potiential is far worse and should not be under-estimated. Smart move Laura and hubby to get that boat safe now.

Since we have seen the snowiest winter and the hotest summer - a hurricane is suspect to strike one of our cities up here between VA and MA.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I was looking at a few models just now and I saw the predicted wave heights and it looks crazy!! They are expecting waves to be around 40 feet high at the center of the storm. Thats crazy! They are expecting waves on Long Island and New Jersey to be around 12 to 15 feet! I saw some video from St. Maarten and it looks terrible there.
    And Fiona has now formed and the projected path is taking it back in our direction or at least around Bermuda, although you cant rule out a more southern projected path at all yet.
    Hurricane watches are usually announced 48 hours before tropical storm conditons and I think that cape cod will be under at least a tropical storm watch by Tues. or Weds.
    Good luck and get whatever little supplies are necessary during a hurricane because if it turns out were going to get hit badly, everyone will be rushing to the stores.
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I just found this pretty cool website. You can move time frame where it says 'Select Forecast Time'. According to this it looks like NYC will be spared, but if the eye turns out to be just 50 miles west of the current forecast, many areas could be seeing sustained winds in the 50 mph range!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hurricane Earl (Virginia to Connecticut)

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Sorry, I just wanted to add that the wind speeds are in knots per hour, not miles per hour. Im pretty sure that knots are measured as nautical miles which are a little more than miles on land.
    -Alex

13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am really nervous about this storm....There is a very strange feeling in the air here in VB...We are all getting the feeling like we will have trouble this time...again!!!

The plants will not stay outside...only the very large trees and palms may have to be gently placed together in a southern section put on the ground with other heavy items all tied together...again...I'm really nervous about this one!!!

Laura in VB

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

This is starting to feel similar Isabel. Maybe Im wrong, but something just seems off. There is ZERO wind here, and I mean ZERO! So much so that there is a code RED air quality alert today. Even with all this heat this summer we have had some breezed and escaped the code red days. It's almost never this still here. not even the slightest movement in the very tops of the trees.

The track model guidance keeps shifting to the left (or westward) as well. The front that is currently over the Dakotas is supposed to be the mechanism that kicks this thing back out to sea, but it is VERY SLOW moving, and is even slowing down its forward motion. As it looks right now, I think this track is going to keep getting adjusted westward. That front way out to the far west is going to have to really pick up steam in order to get here in time to steer Earl away. The fact that that front is slowing down does not look too good. Between the Subtropical ridge out in the central atlantic, and the strong high pressure over the SE United States, AND this front slowing down, it seems that Earl very well may at least make a temporary landfall somewhere in eastern NC/ SE VA. Critical areas right now seem to be anywhere from all of the outer banks, to Va Beach / Chincoteague.

Right now the forecast for my area (DC metro) for thurs/fri is increasing clouds and very gusty / windy conditions with showers on friday. Winds of 20-35 with higher gusts are now forecast for us up here. This bears VERY close watching for the entire east coast, but especially from the tidal waters of the Chesapeake, Potomac, on southward to NC.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another really hot day here too--pushing 97 today and again tomorrow and low 90's Thursday. (Central Park officially recorded its hottest summer in recorded history.) Not a cloud in the sky, calm, dead (what happened to the birds?!) If you want to know what the weather is like preceding a hurricane, look outside your window right now if you're in the Mid Atlantic or New England. Still, we've gone through enough of these watches and warnings to know that often they often do veer out to sea at a later point. Then again, local waters are at record high levels! The interesting thing about powerful hurricanes is their ability to actually dictate surrounding weather. So they can actually build up a benevolent high pressure environment to slow down weather fronts. I'm off today, so I could be working to bringing plants in. But it is soo hot and uncomfortable right now. Difficult to get into the Fall regiment of frost protection for the palms and citrus trees when it's 97 F. in the shade! I'll probably wait (if and until) there is an actual hurricane watch or warning. Just, PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO YOUR LOCAL FORECASTS!

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Interesting read-

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Masters blog

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

The forecast track has just shifted westward again, increasing the probability that Earl will make contact with land in the Carolinas and Virginia, on up through Deleware, and then a possible direct land fall in Nova Scotia. Each new forecast that comes out, the model guidance, and forecast track is shifting further and further westward. The "cone of uncertainty" now includes areas as far inland as the south central Chesapeake bay.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting storm in deed, and one that it seems that will likely be having a major impact on a large section of the East Coast of the U.S. with possible direct hit impacts in the southern Mid Atlantic in NC and VA.

A light breeze has finally kicked up here today, but it is on the order of 2-3MPH at times, nothing more. The river is eerily flat with not even ripples on it. The only things making any sort of waves are boats. It has been remarkably clear and hazy all day until about an hour ago when a white puffy tropical looking cloud would pass by now and then. It is very HOT, and still rather dry. 97 with dewpoints in the upper 50s to low 60s. Things just seem odd. Just off. Hard to describe, but NJoasis has it right. If you want to see what the weather is like before a monster hurricane, and you are in the mid Atlantic area.. go outside now. This is it.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Im looking at some more models and they are going REALLY far west! Some are even saying that its going to make a landfall! They keep forecasting it going more and more west. If it moves another 100 miles everyone along the coast is in BIG trouble!! Lets hope that these westerly models are wrong. Hurricane watches are now up for parts of North Carolina and Im sure Cape Cod will also have some watches up by this time tomorrow.
    Stay safe!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was just outside hosing down the plants for another day into the upper 90's (may break the record for the day yet). I'm kind of a weather junkie--love meteorology. There are some really cool sites available out there--obviouse, National Weather Service and Weather.com, also interesting reads and GRAPHICS at Weather Underground.

I was just outside hosing down the plants for another day into the upper 90's (may break the record for the day yet).
    I've always felt that gardeners are more in touch with nature than the general population. And have to say, what I am NOT hearing or seeing now is really beginning to creep me out. It's this ominous silence and stillness that is really unique---hard to describe if you haven't experienced it.

13 years ago

NJOasis,

Yes I know exactly what you are taking about...Not only do I feel it, I see it!!! The seagulls are gone all shore birds gone...as well as most other wild animals I think they sence the rise in the barometric pressure...I pretty good indicator that something is on the way. We always have seen this especially when hunting season comes along this time of year...The deer move inland, the dove are gone as well!!!

Yes, things are changing here pretty quickly...all is very still here at the monent. I am bringing in all of my smaller plumies, seedlings and then start with the larger plants if I have room...

Good luck to you all up in the North East...TZ...hold on up there my friend!!! You too Greg!!! and NJoasis please be careful as well!!! And all of the other coastal people!! Hopefully we will only have some soaking rain with a little wind....(Keeping my fingers crossed) on that one!!!

Take care everyone,

Laura .....holding on in VB!!!

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

Thanks Laura. VB is now in the Hurricane Watch zone. They are "predicting" it will probably hit your area indirectly and you should be spared the worst. Its a wait and see and I agree animals are good indicators. So far it seems to me its coming too close to the shore and may come up the coast. Its a gut feeling and senario forecasters are afraid of, but most computer models are insisting it will stay off the coast enough.

As of today, meterologists expect(hope) it to curve away from NYC but placed Long Island on alert and asked the whole area to just be mindful this storm will be too close to call until it arrives on our doorstep. Like TZ was saying just a move 50 miles more west and 20 million people in NJ and NY will get a tropical surprise. I wouldn't mind seeing "some" wind and rain action but nothing too crazy or damaging.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Everything is also really quiet here, well except for the animals because some animal did break one of my plants so I was a little angry with that! But as far as the weather, not a cloud in the sky and a very slight breeze if one at all.
    But some good news is that NYC is no longer in the projected path (long island still is though). Also The weather channel was predicting rain and wind for my area and as of right now, they are just predicting rain with some sun and wind on Saturday. It looks like Earl will be out to shore and a close call but It can still effect us all. Im not sure if they will be posting any watches for NYC but Im sure that long Island will have some posted.
    And Im with greg, I do want to see a little wind because Im also a weather geek, but this storm can really be destructive if it comes to close so maybe its best that it stays out to sea!
    Good luck to everyone! And be careful. the Watches are slowly creeping up the coast as the storm gets closer!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

The cold front that is supposed to whisk that sucker out to sea is delayed until late tomorrow here,was supposed to pass through today but not so.

Will just have to see how sharp the trough is and whether it can shunt Earl away in time-either way it will be interesting to see the play of 2 very large synoptic features that control the weather from the Rockies to off the eastern seaboard.

You guys on the east coast are stuck right between them both,that will change starting tomorrow as they both pick up steam-good luck.

Better tie down that Roebie Nova-LOL

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Funny you just posted this info on the front Jimhardy! I was just looking at the satellite pics and noticed that that front that all the experts say is going to pick up Earl, just looks like it's hitting a brick wall once it gets to a certain point east. It seems that a lot of these fronts tend to get washed out as they approach the coast--especially this time of year when the Atlantic Ocean wants to do its own thing and we're in our own weather regime. Also, Earl has been strengthening this afternoon. It looks better on the infrared pictures and I just read that will may be kicked back up to a Cat 4.--I've had a bad feeling about this storm for a few days now. Have I done any hurricane prep?--No, haven't even mustered up the desire to feed the palms (planned today). It's just too hot (97 F.).--I may need the official 'hurricane warning' to help motivate me!

Loveplants, funny you mentioned deer. I happen to live IN a HEAVY deer crossing. They were around a few days ago (when they got to eat some pale pink roses), but not recently. In fact, I have seen them VERY little this whole summer. What I am more freaked out about is the absence of birds and INSECTS.

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Yea,a hurricane warning like a tornado warning does
    wonders for your motivation!

Don't count this front out just yet!

We are supposed to see strong Northwest winds tomorrow
    as this thing breaks out of Canada...but still it doesn't come through until tomorrow
    afternoon(late)then it pics up steam and heads east.

Will be interesting to see when the trough bumps that big bully
    Earl out in the Atlantic!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's driving the experts crazy! I got my 'Tropical Storm watch' about an hour ago. Hurricane watches and warnings are both south of here (Outer Banks,NC) and north and east of here (eastern Long Island, coastal New England). Believe it or not, it's actually getting stronger as it moves north. It may go to a Cat 5 according to the latest from the National Hurricane Center which also reports that local ocean waters are warm enough to sustain a hurricane (around 80 F). The trough was supposed to offer a simple solution to the question of Earl's track but things are apparently getting more complicated in the atmosphere now. Finger of the Bermuda high is building in the North Atlantic and some tracks have it bending back into the continent once it gets to New England. Stay tuned.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Yep, Im also under a tropical storm watch. Looks like a chance of rain on Friday with a little wind and the stronger wind actually seems like its going to occur on saturday? Some websites say gusts can reach 40mph in the area on Saturday even though its going to clear out. Looks like every mile is going to count!

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

I think it is rather funny actually. This trough out west is driving the forecasters INSANE!!! They literally just don't know what exactly this thing is going to do. Is it going to be another Isabel, or is it going to skirt the coast, or is it going to go sharply back out to sea? They just don't know!

Watching this trough and seeing the moisture vapor satellite loops, it seems as thought he trough looks like it is actually being STOPPED by the storm itself as well as the high pressure between Earl and the trough. I get the feeling they, and the models both are over estimating this trough's arrival. It just looks like this thing is going to cut at least somewhat inland over the mid atlantic at this point. So hard to tell though.

Even in the local forecasts, some are calling for nothing more than a sunny, windy day on friday, and some are saying increasing clouds and showers with possible heavy downpours and even stronger winds. No one seems to have any sort of fix on this thing right down to the local levels. We are not under any storm watches or warnings for this, but we are under a coastal flood warning. Those get issued every time there is any sort of easterly component to the winds of stronger than 20MPH though for all tidal bodies of water around here.

This is turning into a real nail biter for sure!

I hope everyone gets prepared and stays safe! Especially you Laura. You are the closest to its path while it is at its most dangerous intensity. Please keep us up to date!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I also really notice the struggle with this forecast. But it looks like they will finally have a better idea by tomorrow afternoon when it should be just around the farthest west it will go before going straight north and then northeast. Im prepared to move in a few plants and I think it might be needed. Accuweather is forecasting gusts over 50 mph here which can easily knock plants over, and maybe even cause some power outages.
    Unfortunately Virginia Beach does look like its in the danger zone so stay safe Laura! There expecting winds to occasionally gust over 50 mph by you! You might have to bolt some of those plumerias down, lol. But that divine might have to go in. You know how plumerias are when it comes to balance! I think your palms will be okay since they always seem to recover well from hurricanes and I dont think the winds will be strong enough to do too much damage to them.
    So stay safe everyone! We shall see where Earl is in the afternoon!
    -Alex

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay, I am finally motivated to do some work outside. Started this morning by moving my moth orchids inside. Anything small or in a breakable pot is going inside. Large plants are going to be grouped into a corner of the garage on the outside. Outdoor furniture and other potential projectiles are going inside. Basically, want to prepare for tropical force sustained winds and loss of power. Have the feeling 'tropical storm' warnings are going to be advancing WEST all day today! Hopefully, that we be the WORST for anyone up and down the coast!

• brooklyngreg
    13 years ago

TZ, you were angry at the animal that broke your plant! - I am glad you are human like the rest of us :) PS. I am a weather geek too.

Jimhardy - "2 very large synoptic features" wow, I better look that up ...lol

Earl has turned due north leaving NC in some relief not to have a landfall.... BUUUT it must make a full turn to the NE to spare the Jersey shore and the New York metro area. All models say its going to turn. I was hoping like Jim Hardy said the front to not push it away and we'd see some action.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Ive decided to only bring in the small plants. Im not expecting much from Earl. We are getting the weaker side of the storm and it should stay at least 200 miles away from NYC so maybe some outer banks and a little bit of wind but we will probably be disappointed. As a weather fanatic, I would have liked to see just a little bit of the action but I dont want to see damage because then your talking about peoples lives being at risk.
    But please stay safe because hurricanes are unpredictable and even though the chances of very bad weather in NYC is looking slim, there are a few areas who can be seeing damage by Earl and Earl can change course with very short notice and effect many more coastal areas. Its a dangerous storm so Im glad that it wont be making a direct it anywhere.
    Good luck everyone! I hope that all lose objects are out of the way and everything is secured. Make sure if you have a basement nothing really important is left on the floor and make sure that you and your pets have food to last incase your stuck. Batteries, a radio, and flashlights are also very important. And definitely dont go outside at all if you see the weather is really getting bad outside because debris can fall and sometimes its very heavy.
    Im keeping updated!
    -Alex

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

In My first sentence I said "Outer Banks" and I meant to say "outer bands", lol

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

Earl is now traveling DUE NORTH along longitude 75 degrees west. 75.2 to be exact. Should it NOT make that northeast turn, this will bring it ashore almost directly into Rehoboth, Beach, DE. This is where we were planning on spending the weekend as we often do during the warm months. We are on the fence as to weather or not we are going at this time. The beach house my have to ride this out empty.

Nothing is certain as well know and these things often wobble quite a bit, especially near land. It is too early to tell if it in fact has actually made this turn, or it is just a jog to the north, and will continue on its NNW path. It still seems that this trough out to the west is still much to far away to be much of an influence, if it all on Earl's track at this time, and it does not appear this trough is going to get here in time to make much of a difference for the mid Atlantic.

The winds have picked up today and are running out of the southeast 10-20MPH. We are seeing the very outermost northern high cloud bands beginning to build in as well.

Even if this storm does not come inland we will feel very strong effects here. The Atlantic Ocean in a straight line from DC is about 100 NM. Rehoboth Beach, DE is 104 driving miles from me. This puts us WELL within tropical storm force winds with much higher gusts should it be at the coast or come ashore there.

I have to say, I really get irked by these kinds of storms. I would rather just have them do what they going to do, and know it, like with Isabel, Hugo, Katrina, Andrew...etc. At least with those there were no other "factors" really dictating its possible track. As a weather, and tropical weather enthusiast, I too want to see some "action". LOL! But I do not want to see severe damage nor loss of life. Right now, Im just prepared to be disappointed. That said, the tropics are so active now, that I think at least ONE storm is going to hit the east Cost of the US this season. The east coast is getting overdue.

13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Well my plants are secured, loose objects picked up around the house and all water related items tied down and raised for tidal surges....What a job!! LOL...now i'm tired of running around the yard., etc...The grocery stores are a very active place to be at this time, people are going crazy!! LOL....

The weather here at the beach is strangely calm...you can see the outer bands now and then but no wind...just clouds off and on. I sure hope that we don't see severe wind here, but everything is pretty well secured. Now we just have to wait it out. They are predicting that it will hit Rodanthe this evening and here at VB late tonight. i don't think I will be sleeping much tonight.

Good luck to everyone...now I think I'll go back outside and do another walk around and double check everything!!!

Take care...

Laura in VB

• jimhardy
    13 years ago

Most likely dry air fron inland will be pulled into this storm(Early whirly) and weaken it considerablbly,it is wisked off just brushing NY and NS and is less of a deal than your snowstorms of last winter.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Everyone here keeps on comparing Earl to that Nor'easter we had in March and Im really confident that the Nor'easter in March brought much more damage than Earl will to my area. The March Nor'easter probably brought more rain than Earl will. But cape cod and Eastern long island look like they will be having a tough day tomorrow into Saturday. The outer banks of North Carolina into Southeastern Virginia and coastal maryland will most likely be seeing some rough weather also, especially the outer banks. I didnt prepare too much outside but Im prepared if the power goes out and also have extra supplies and food.
    Good luck everyone!
    -Alex

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

Looks like the tropical storm force winds will stay on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake bay / DelMarVa for us. The outer cloud bands arrived here and produced a spectacular sky late this evening and a fantastic sunset, with nice tropical breezes of 10-20mph at times. Very pleasant evening here. Tomrrow calls for more clouds than sun with occasional showers, breezy, with some gusty winds at times perhaps approaching 30MPH when earl is at its closest. So nothing major. In fact the winds will be higher here on Saturday as Earl moves to our north and the front FINALLY pushes through.

Below is a photo I took of this evening sky showing the outer bands of earl giving us a very cool sky to look at as the sun was lowering. Off to the far right, the bright "object" is a very bright sundog (parhelion) along with some lower and thicker outer cloud bands from Earl. This is looking to the NW around 6:30pm. Again, sorry for the crappy iPhone photo.

I hope everyone stays safe!

good luck!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Right now its cloudy here and the outerbands are in the local radar. It doesnt look like those particular outerbands will be hitting me but later on this afternoon should bring some rain. The worst of the wind will actually be on Saturday even though it should be sunny. So nothing too bad here yet and I dont think its really going to get bad. We shall see soon!
    -Alex

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

Looks like for the most part Earl has had a lot of bark, but very little bite. Looks like the OBX came out fairly unscathed. Its cloudy, cool, and breezy here with some of the outermost bands bringing some occasional light showers, but that's it. The real winds get here tomorrow once the storm passes to our north and the cold front pushes through. 15-25 and very gusty tomorrow and VERY pleasant with highs around 80 and lows in the mid 60s.

Hope everyone down south did all right! To those up north, stay safe! For us... goodbye earl!

13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Thank Goodness that Earl wasn't as tough as he made himself out to be...We only had gusty winds up to 40+ here at the beach, and steady rain for about 4-5 hours. Enough to soak everything for a few days!!! I did get my rain barrels out and collected some much needed liquid gold!!! Unfortunately, it will only last for a few days here with this heat.

I hope everyone has a great Labor Day Weekend!!!

Now, it's time to move back everything that was moved for Earl...Ugggg!!! The great news is that all palms, Plumerias and all other tropical plants made it without any damage!! :)

Laura in VB

• NoVaPlantGuy_Z7b_8a
    13 years ago

Glad to hear everything came through ok Laura! Earl turned out to be nothing more than a passing curiosity for most of us, and it, coupled with this strong cool front brought us the most beautiful weather of the year today, and for this weekend! Today brilliant sunshine with some puffy white afternoon clouds against a cobalt blue sky, VERY low humidity (40%) and a strong and gusty west wind of 15-25, gusting to over 30MPH today and temps around 80. It is just simply the most perfect weather we could have! So long Earl, thanks for stopping by and pulling in all of this gorgeous weather!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It always happens this way. Everybody goes back to school and work and then the weather turns gorgeous. Today was a bit windy but the weekend and coming week look to be sunny and warm (80-90) with moderate humidity. The birds, which disappeared much of last week, came back in great abundance two days ago and have been chirping away. (Maybe they left town due to heat last week and not Earl.) Spent the day transplanting palms. Happy Labor Day everyone!

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

Earl didnt do much hear either. Yesterday was pretty cloudy but it wasnt very windy and it rained only for a minute and it was just a drizzle. I dont think any measurable amount of precipitation actually fell. Today was really nice! I prefer the heat, but the wind and temperatures were perfect. The animals liked it too since I actually saw 2 hummingbirds flying around as soon as I looked out into the yard and this is the first year I have ever seen hummingbirds here. Really just a nice day and it looks like a cool night on the way. This is the first night that has reached the upper 50s since probably June. Its definitely the start of fall, but at least the AC gets a break! Heat returns next week for a few days with temps close to 90, but the heat waves now arent as warm or as long. Fall is here, or at least on the way. The plants are still growing well though!
    Laura, Im glad you didnt have any damage there! I was a little worried when I saw some of those wind speeds! Those plumerias are probably the first plants to be broken in high winds so Im glad yours had no damage!
    Earl is a thing of the past and hopefully no other hurricanes will threaten for the summer, but hurricane season is far from over and there are somethings in the Atlantic that have to be watched!
    So Im glad that everyone stayed safe from this storm!
    Good luck and enjoy the nice weather!
    -Alex

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TZ, I don't think you'll be complaining about this weather if it stayed this way through October!--I spent the day transplanting and topdressing (mostly palms and citrus). Tomorrow looks like another gorgeous day in paradise. Think I'll slather on some coconut oil and work in the back again--maybe the last fertilizing of the season. I get full sun in the back (dawn to dust).--So much so, I will be putting solar panels on top of my garage/greenhouse. PS., This weather is actually quite warm. Do you know how COLD it's been in California this summer!--RIDICULOUSLY COLD.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I would love for it to say like this all of october!! The only thing I dont like about it is how its really a sign of the season slowly coming to an end. Today actually reminded me a lot of the weather California has been experiencing all summer. When I was in San diego, it was really cold. The days were nice but the nights were really cool. However it was nice to keep a window open in my hotel room and not have to keep the AC on. I feel pretty bad for all the tropical plants in Cali this summer! At least we had a warm summer and now we can hope for a late first frost, an early last frost, and a mild winter. But we shall see what happens! Still about 2 months before frost threatens so the plants have time to grow some more!
    Happy Labor Day weekend!
    -Alex

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio