SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny_in_se_pa

Hurricane Season and the Balcony - Here we go again!

jenny_in_se_pa
19 years ago

Last year it was Isabel and this year, we're starting off a little earlier with Charley on its way up the coast. My heart goes out to Floridians now devastated by this killer storm, with more states in its path.

I have a picture of part of my balcony from last year during Isabel at her peak (the below is my Miss Kim lilac and a wood/bamboo trellis that had my hyacinth bean vine on it - winds were blowing out of the east):

{{gwi:3635}}

It's a foregone way of life for those in the Gulf and Atlantic coastal plain... But for those of us up in the hi-rises (with tons of plants out there), this time of year, with the threats of hurricanes, tropical storms, and nor'easters, we have a special concern for our plants and property, considering any and/or all of it, has potential to go airborne. And given that I face NE means that assuming any of these types of storms stay out in the ocean, I get the winds full blast against the balcony, even being inland as I am (about 60 miles west of the Atlantic ocean and about 40 miles north of the Delaware Bay).

Since I've lived here, the worst was probably Hurricane Floyd, which tore through here in 1999, although it was mostly a rain event, giving us something like 12" throughout its duration and utterly swamping my balcony when it came through - where I had to bail about 4 gallons of water out of my half-barrel so the fish wouldn't float out (although they were smart and hugged the bottom... lol).

I am right now, mentally ticking off the things that I am going to have to move indoors before tonight and where I'm going to put them temporarily (as the storm is forecast to affect us overnight, not unlike Isabel a year ago). And I know with Isabel, having been an inland storm, this one, assuming it hugs the coast, has potential for some serious rains in an area that is already well over the monthly rain average. Here in Philly, we average ~4" for August and we've already had probably twice that from the past couple storms, where a freak August 1 storm tore up city streets and flooded out people all over - the worst in Upper Darby, PA just outside the city. Ie., Philly, along with 2 other counties just outside, were recently declared disaster areas because of the floods and we don't need this.

Much of what I have out there, shrub/perennial wise, is in good-sized containers and already grouped together. It's just some of the little stuff and that stuff that I know has fragile leaves that can easily be defoliated in persistent winds in the 30+ mph range or higher (like my habanero peppers, my figs, and my hibiscus). And assuming we get that type of wind, the MGs/MFs that are growing against the rail are probably going to be shredded. I can't really move them. Oh well.

So what are you East Coast container folks doing to prepare?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor