SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novaplantguy_z7b_8a

off topic: gustav monster now category 5 storm/ hanna impacts..

I figured I would start a thread about this, since we do have some posters here who are directly in the path of Gustav. Gustav has now become a monster Category 4 now with sustained winds of 145 MPH, gusting to 170MPH. Gustav is increasing in both strength and size. This storm could rival Katrina in its devastation, however it is too early to tell at this point. Gustav has over the past 7 hours, has really increased in size, and is now much larger than it was just 1 day ago, with parts of its outter circulations and rain / feeder bands reaching as far north as the Miami/Dade area. This increase in size also means a much larger coastal area will be affected, as well as a much larger inland area. One other possible bad scenario is that this storm is forecast to really show down in forward motion, and may even stall, making for a protracted wind, surge, heavy rain event wherever it does come ashore, and could even top some of the massive rain totals we saw from FAY, inland.

MASSIVE evacuations are under way in New Orleans (NOLA) and I have heard reports that they either have, or are very close to instituting Contraflow on all interstates and major highways leading into / out of NOLA. It is also being reported that peperations and evacuations are underway as far east as the Alabama Coast, and as far west as Houston Tx. If this storm holds true to its track, and comes ashore at or near NOLA, that will show that that the National Hurricane Center correctly forecast this storms intensity, and track, over a week in advance.

This thread is to serve as as an informational source, as well as a place for all of us to gather and chat about this possibly historically destructive storm, and a place for all of our Gulf Coast members who will/ may be directly affected by this to check in and tell their stories.

Not to be forgotten about...while still just a tropical storm, Hanna is churning out and the souteastern Atlantic Basin, and is forecast to strengthen, and head somewhere along the SE US coast, and possibly up the coast to the Carolinas/ Virginias, and has the potential to affect millions more in the US.

If you live in / around the areas directly affected by Gustav, please check in here and let us know that you are ok.. and how things are going for you before, during/ after the storm. I know many gardens will be directly affected and many palms will take a sever beating from this. Let us know how you are preparing and or how things fared. Any pics you can provide are even better.

To everyone who is in this storms bast, and I am sure I speak for us all here when I say, best of luck, may you be safe and come through just fine, and gods speed!

Here is the latest on Gustav as of 2pm today:

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH