SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laaz_gw

Southest Citrus expo 2005

Laaz
18 years ago

Here's the latest info I just received from Stan. I will be up at Stans next Sunday, so if anyone has any other questions let me know beforehand.

2005 Citrus Exposition

This event, in its third year, will provide information on the ability to grow and care for cold hardy citrus in the southeast, both in containers and in the ground. Various topics will be covered to include citrus varieties and descriptions, proper growing conditions, cold protection methods and many other informative tips and guidelines to help the home gardener.

Date  November 19, 2005 9:00 am  4:00 pm

Location  Cypress Gardens in Moncks Corner, S.C. www.cypressgardens.org

Tentative schedule of events

9:00 Registration and Admission - Guests attending the Citrus Expo will sign in, have an admission fee of $3 per adult and will be offered a chance to purchase raffle tickets ($1) for a plant give away at the conclusion of the event. Plants will come from the various vendors attending the event, which will include cold hardy citrus, various palms and other rare plants. Those attending the Citrus Expo are welcome and encouraged to visit the garden attractions at no additional cost.

9:00 Â 10:00 Fruit Entry - Fruit for the contest will be entered at the conference hall. All fruit entered must meet the requirements stated in the guidelines below. There will be separate categories for fruit grown in ground and that grown in a container.

10:00 Â 10:45 Lecture by Mr. Barwald of Flying Dragon Citrus Nursery out of Jacksonville, Fla. He will discuss growing cold hardy citrus trees in the southeast including rootstock selection and cold protection methods. He usually brings several large boxes of Satsuma tangerines with him along with a trailer full of trees to sell.

11:00 Â 11:45 Lecture/Slide presentation by Dr. Hanna from the University of Georgia. Dr. Hanna will discuss current testing and experimentation being conducted to develop seedless varieties of cold hardy citrus along with lots of other information from many years of research on citrus.

*Local citrus grower Ned Rahn will be available during the breaks with grafting information, demonstrations and to answer any questions.

12:00  1:30 Lunch/Plant Sale - There is no café at the gardens, but there are plans to have some sort of lunch available on site. All plant sales will start at 12:00 and continue throughout the rest of the day.

1:30  2:00 Fruit viewing  All fruit that was entered in the contest will be on display for viewing.

2:00 Â 2:30 Question and answer session with some local citrus growing experts on hand.

2:30 Â 3:00 Drawing for plants and announce winners from fruit contest.

3:00 Plant sale continued. This provides everyone with the rare chance to purchase varieties of citrus trees not commonly found. Also available for purchase will be an excellent book authored by Tom McClendon entitled ÂHardy Citrus for the SoutheastÂ.

Contact for more information  Eric Dziamniski 843-761-1134 or e-mail gdziamniski@yahoo.com

Stan McKenzie e-mail citrusman99@hotmail.com or any of the sponsors below.

Any vendor/individual selling plants is kindly asked to donate at least one plant for the drawing. This will be considered the vendor fee.

Sponsors

GaryÂs Nursery in New Bern, N.C.

Wholesale and retail grower of cold hardy palms, bananas, some citrus and other plants in eastern N.C. since 1975. Gary will have many palms available for purchase at the event. www.garysnursery.com

Southeastern Palm Society

The southeast chapter of the International Palm Society whose members are devoted to growing palms, subtropicals and other rare and exotic species of plants in the southeastern United States. www.sepalms.org

RahnÂs Plant Connection from Port Royal, S.C.

Owners Ned and Faye Rahn sell a large variety of citrus and other rare plants and flowers not found at garden centers. They will have a large assortment of plants for sale. plantfolks@yahoo.com

McKenzie Farms Nursery in Scranton, S.C.

Owner Stan "the citrusman" Mckenzie sells many different cold hardy citrus trees, palms, traditional fruit trees,

vegetables and other plants. Stan will also bring a trailer full of citrus trees for sale. www.mckenzie-farms.com

Directions from I-26 in S.C.

-Exit 199B onto Hwy 17A north toward Monck's Corner.

-Proceed approximately 6 miles.

-Turn right onto Cypress Gardens road (Exxon gas station on right).

-Continue on Cypress Gardens road through two intersections. Located on right just before Dupont company sign.

-Additional directions can be found on the Cypress Gardens web site above.

Rules for entry of fruit contest

1. All fruit entered must be grown by the entrant, either in a container or in the ground.

2. Before submission, fruit should be washed and prepared for eating. Remove any pesticide residue. Judges may have to taste fruit in case of a tie.

3. A minimum of three fruit of a specific cultivar must be donated per entry; for example, three Satsuma fruit are required to qualify as one entry. One of the fruit must be cut in half "against the grain" (as you would a grapefruit) to show the inside of the fruit. Fruit can be returned at the request of the entrant.

4. Fruit must contain at least ½ inch of stem attached; one fruit should have a leaf attached to the stem.

5. Fruit will be placed in a category to be determined by the contest judge.

6. There will be separate categories for fruit grown in the ground and that grown in a container.

Comments (45)

• Millet
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Laaz, I forwarded my copy to Joe. - Millet

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Millet. Thanks, I haven't talked to Joe in a while. I will have to email him tonight as well.

• Related Discussions

Southeastern Citrus Exposition 2005

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you for that information. I have just moved to Monck's Corners and have a lot of gardening to do. You know when they build a house they scrape the land.(Horrors!) So I have lots of land rebuilding to do here. But my goals include citrus trees for sure. My neighbor in Mt. Pleasant had the finest oranges I have ever eaten. I want to grow some too. I hope to see you there.
    ...See More

Reminder: Southeastern Citrus Exposition 2006

Q

Comments (4)
    I would like to extend my thanks to this years host, Ralph and Kathy Denton, Gaylord Ventura and Lisa Zimmerman... along with Dr Montyca. You all did a superb job of putting everything together and I for one had the time of my life! I was in HOG HEAVEN tasting and seeing all that citrus! I know its somewhat like the day after Christmas when these things come and go. You have worked so hard to get it together and to make sure everything is just right and then.... it just whizzes by. Please be assured that all of us on the "Citrus Express Bus" had a wonderful time and just wish we could have stayed longer. Our driver made some type of wrong turn getting us out of Va Bch and we lost an hour of precious time wandering around in Portsmouth and other areas. I walked in my door at 12:30 am and I think those further south didnt get home til around 4 am! Still, for committed "Citruholics" it was well worth the ride. Dr Montyca's yard could have easily kept me enthralled for a full day! Thanks again for everything and we hope to announce the location of next years Expo soon. We are thinking that it will probably be in Georgia. More info to come later.
    ...See More

2005 Expo Monck's Corner

Q

Comments (2)
    After your post, I sent an e-mail directly to you with a source listed, never heard so don't know if you got it but Thompson's in TX has Ugli. I got one from them in Sept.
    ...See More

Southeastern Citrus Exposition 2005

Q

Comments (2)
    I have to go to this event. I live 8 miles from Cypress Gardens, which is one of my favorite places.
    ...See More
  • tamstrees
    18 years ago

Oh wow that looks like fun. I think I'm going to check it out.

• mrtexas
    18 years ago

You ought to have a cluster category, any variety. This is always a WOW category at the SE Texas citrus shows! See my website for an amazing winning cluster of 16 satsumas.

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mr. Texas did you make it through the storn ok ?

• BabyBlue11371
    18 years ago

I was Just wondering that myself..

• mrtexas
    18 years ago

We evacuated to Waco, Tx. I'm not expecting damage at my house as it is a new neighborhood without large trees and underground utilities. Winds got to 105mph in Beaumont.

• BabyBlue11371
    18 years ago

MrTx,
    Glad to see you Are fine.. Hope your Citrus collection fairs as well and all of your property.
    Good luck!!
    Gina *BabyBlue*

• Millet
    18 years ago

Mr. Texas, our thoughts were with you and your family through out the storm. I hope everything is well, when you return home. Take care. - Millet

• JMLRCYMNTS
    18 years ago

Just sent some new "babies" to Darren today. Been talking to him and Stan about the Expo. Bob and I are really looking forward to meeting you guys and talking citrus, non-stop, for a couple of days. Thanks again for the Ugli tip...it paid off.

• The Citrus Guy
    18 years ago

Can't wait to get my new "babies" I in turn have also sent some to Joe. Really looking forward to you guys, Joe, Bob(Millet) coming to town. I haven't been able to get hold of Scott yet. Hopefully, maybe we can all get together the night you guys get to town?
    Darren

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Watch out Darren just wants to feed you guys to the gators.... ;)

• JMLRCYMNTS
    18 years ago

Got 2 nice packages from SC (cactusrequiem) this week. That enables me to add several more citrus names to my list. Looking forward to enjoying the Hog Plum too. Thanks for the transaction. I'm anxious to hear how my boxes traveled. Looking forward to the visit with you guys and putting names and faces together. JML

• The Citrus Guy
    18 years ago

Well, I got my end of the trade from Colorado Friday, didn't get a chance to open it until Friday night. I have one word for the stuff Joe sent me...WOW!!! I am going to have so much fun with the Australian Finger Lime and the Etrog and everything else!! Joe, you is da man!
    It will truly be a pleasure and honor to meet you in November Sir. Can't wait. I really hope you enjoy the Dwarf Hog Plum, we both received some very unusual plants in this go round.
    Hey Laaz, I only feed people to the alligators, that think I am going to feed "other" people to the alligators! LOL
    In case anybody is wondering, I had a rather large gator come walking through my yard a few months ago, and I live in a trailer park, very close to the airport.
    Darren

• Scott_K
    18 years ago

Gators can be trained to guard citrus. Keep them hungry, keep them on the lookout for citrus rustlers and plant thieves..

They get part-time security work at Cypress Gardens, so don't worry about bringing your stuff to the Expo. Scott

• The Citrus Guy
    18 years ago

Hey Scott,
    Maybe THAT'S who swiped my Buddha's Hand! I'll make suitcases of them! LOL
    Darren

• Scott_K
    18 years ago

Then take the baggage to the airport and leave it unattended. Homeland security will take care of the rest.

• freak65candy
    18 years ago

I SURE HOPE THE PEOPLE AT THE EXPO ARE FRIENDLIER THAN AT THE SALE IN AUGUSTA AT AQUINAS HIGH SCHOOL.I GREATLY LOOK FORWARD TO THIS EVENT AND ALL THAT I MIGHT LEARN.IT SHOULD BE ABOUT HELPING OTHERS WITH YOUR INTERESTS AND NOT RUNNING TO THE PERSON WITH THE MOST MONEY AND THE BIGGEST TRUCK TO FILL UP.THERE HAVE BEEN SOME GREAT PEOPLE TOO WHO OFFERED HELP.McKENZIE AND RAHN TO NAME A COUPLE.MAY ALL YOUR KUMQUATS BE SWEET !THANKS.

• tweaker2
    18 years ago

FREAK65CANDY Lose the CAPS its a sign shouting Tom

• freak65candy
    18 years ago

This is the citrus forum,not the classroom!Thanks for your input.Now go and criticize everyone else who uses uppercase.Thank you for being a watchdog.Cordially,Charlie.

• tweaker2
    18 years ago

I use to do the same thing Could read better in big letters dont mean to offend Tom

• gonebananas_gw
    18 years ago

I've been to two SE Citrus Expos. The people seemed perfectly friendly. And Stan McKensie always seems friendly.

• The Citrus Guy
    18 years ago

Yes, everybody is VERY friendly at the Southeast Expo. Went last year and had a blast....Can't wait for this years! (37 days but who's counting!!!)
    Darren

• freak65candy
    18 years ago

Thanks for the response everybody. I don't mean to be unkind,but there were people who seemed to be looking down their noses at others.When I am engaged in something that excites me and stimulates me,I don't like to be around uptight people.I will be at the expo and know that I will meet some great people ther.Let me state that I found Mr.McKenzie and Mr. Rahn to be helpful and courteous.These people are good ambassadors for this pursuit,hobby,obsession
    etc.Everybody out there say a prayer that my persian limes hold until the expo.They are wanting to drop and I am enjoying their pleasantness right now.

• manda02
    18 years ago

I attended last year's expo and look forward to going again. I've not found other citrus hobbiests here in Savannah, so I appreciated meeting folks at the expo. I've since bought 2 trees from Stan, and visited Ned in Port royal to get some fertilizer from him. After the fruit judging last year, it was great to sample some varieties I'd never even heard of, though I don't think I can bring any trees back with me this year, unless I can convince D. that we still have more room somewhere. I look forward to meeting and chatting with y'all, and maybe getting some advice. "Do you really think I could grow a citron here?"

Marj

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

"Do you really think I could grow a citron here?"

Not outside unprotected.

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

Wish I could be there

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok. The Expo is one week from today for anyone making plans to attend. Should be a great turn out !

http://www.speps.net/Hardy%20Citrus/SPS_Southeastern_Citrus_Expo_2005.htm

• Scott_K
    18 years ago

If you are on the fence about attending, DON'T ponder, just go! The weather is going to be great this weekend, and there is much to see and do in this area. Email me if you need help finding accomodations. Hope to see most of you there! This is my final transmission. Scott.

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

See all you guys and girls there tomorrow.

• Tom_MidGA
    18 years ago

I won't be able to make this one. I hope everyone has a great time and there is a wonderful turn-out.

Mr. Freak65candy, I'm sorry to hear about your impressions regarding past Expos and the plant sale at Aquinas High School. I'm not sure which plant sale you attended, but I can say that I have known Joe LeVert for 12 years and I can assure you that he would be the last person to chase a dollar bill. Hopefully you'll have a better experience in the future.

• freak65candy
    18 years ago

Hi,I'll be there tomorrow.Please don't stone me.I go for the citrus anyway,not to impress anyone.Please ,if anyone sees this and has an ugli fruit plant to sell,contact me @ cef865@aol.com.P.S. There was lots of money being chased in regards to the big plumerias!! Enjoy the show!

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just picked Patty up at the airport Millet & Joe should arrive at 5. We are metting Stan & Ned at 7 tonight for dinner. See you al there tomorrow.

• Tom_MidGA
    18 years ago

Why would I "stone you"? Have a great time! In reference to the plumerias, Aquinas was selling them for $20-30 for three-foot tall plants. If you've ever priced plumeria you know what an incredible deal this was. I hope you realize that Joe's horticulture students raised all the plants and that all of the proceeds from the plant sale benefited the horticulture program at the school.

Tom, St. Marys, GA.

• Millet
    18 years ago

Patty In Wisc, Laaz, Millet, Citrus Joe (JML), Stan McKenzie, ScotK, Cactusreqiem, and Ned and ten other "citruholics" all had a sea food dinner at the Southeast Citrus Expo in South Carolina. Had a really great time on Friday night. . - Millet

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

I had my first pecan waffle today with Millet, Jml (citrus Joe) and Laaz. Had a great time today...bought 5 trees etc. Got a purseful of rare cuttings & seeds. Ned Rahn did a great budding/grafting demo...learned alot today. Writing from my lobby in Charleston SC, see y'all Monday. :)
    Patty

• Scott_K
    18 years ago

Well,
    That sure was fun! I got to meet many citrus freaks such as myself. Millet, Joe, and Patti were alot of fun. I hope that your visit met your expectations. If you read this before leaving town, try to get across the new bridge.

Ned Rahn, Stan McKenzie, The Barwalds from Flying Dragon, Gary's Palms from N.C.; it was nice to meet all of them. I wasn't able to spend as much as I wanted, but told Stan that I would be visiting him soon.

There were a few folks I met that have huge collections, like 150 plants! Living in a solid zone 7. Thats a bunch of plant schleppin'.

Really good time! Let's go again next year! Scott

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Scott your a trip. I still can't believe you lugged that Pommelo all the way up there, but it sure was a coversation piece.

Scott lugged his Pommelo tree up to the Expo behind his Volvo. Scott also won a Blur ribbon for the Pommelo

{{gwi:617791}}

{{gwi:617793}}

• garnetmoth
    18 years ago

Nuts. Maybe next year (I just got hired yesterday, but im broke so couldnt go :-) Glad you all had a good time!

• JMLRCYMNTS
    18 years ago

Sunday night...long day! Just got back to CO and spent the last couple of hours top grafing, planting seeds and sorting "goodies" (more to do tomorrow). What a great event! Now I know what they mean by "southern hospitality". Many thanks to all you folks that made the expo possible. The meal @ Gillligan's was awesome. Special thanks to "tour guides" Todd and Darren who showed us everything from 'gators to "in the ground" citrus trees in Charleston loaded with fruit and shared seeds and wood from hard to find varities. Thanks to Millet....without his generosity I wouldn't have gone...and to Patty for being my "little sister" during the expo. We're already talking about next year!

• Millet
    18 years ago

Patty, you had your FIRST pecan waffle. GOOD FOR YOU, that makes you an OFFICIAL member of the club. Were you able to lug all those trees, budwood and rare seeds home? Your collection should possibly be doubled with all the stuff you got. Your home made wine was a hit. Citrus Joe, your welcome, thanks for going,your the best. A BIG THANKS to Laaz. Laaz's hospitality was tops! Laaz you made it a nice time for a lot of people. Scott and Darren nice meeting you. Darren thanks for the seeds. Lastly, Stan's the man, you put on a great expo. - MIllet

• Laaz
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Millet, Joe & Patty. It was a pleasure. I think everyone had a great time. Like I said make plans to down for a week in the summer, there is a lot you haven't seen yet.

• citrusman99
    18 years ago

I just want to add my 2 cents worth on what a great time I had. The opportunity of getting to meet some of the Citrus forum regulars was just a special treat for me! The seafood supper at Gilligans with 20 comfirmed " citruholics" was the highlight of the Expo. Special thanks to Patty, Joe and Bob for flying in for the event. I hope it was at least half as good an event as you expected. Things went very smoothly and the weather couldnt have been better! Its a good thing the Expo wasnt scheduled for today.. Its a washout with this being the first heavy rain we've seen in a long, long time. Scott and Cactus, It was great meeting you guys as well. Hope to see all of you next year in Virginia Beach. There is a guy up there with a great citrus collection, growing in ground.... some of the trees are probably 20 footers. I hope the planning committee puts his place on the agenda for a walking tour! Thanks again to all of you, it wouldnt have been the same without you.

• BabyBlue11371
    18 years ago

Sounds like y'all had a great time!! Would have loved to be there!! any more pictures?? ohhh. CONGRATS SCOTT!!!! And anyone else who won ribbons!

Maybe someone needs to start a new thread and list a few thing.. "what they took: if anything.. What they bought: if any thing.... Prizes... Pictures... Favorite parts of the Expo... ETC..
    Hope to hear more about how much fun you all had so I can live vicariously.. hehehe..
    Gina *BabyBlue*

• Casa_Del_Gatos
    18 years ago

Gina,

For more of Laaz' great pix, go to the other forum.