SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Keeping Up With the Veggie Harvest

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

I have struggled to keep up with the veggie harvest since at least July. Every time I think I am about about to get "there"--to that magical place where there is nothing at all that needs to be picked, washed, sorted, peeled, sliced and then blanched and frozen, or cooked and eaten, or dehydrated or canned......well, every time I am almost there, it is time to harvest again.

I am not complaining. It is a rare year that we have enough July rain here (supplemented with irrigation) to keep the garden going and producing well. This is one of those rare years. The water bill for August was still terribly high because so little rain fell here at our house, but at least we have oodles of veggies to show for it.

I dehydrate tomatoes at least twice a week--and usually do about 400-500 bite-sized tomatoes in one batch. I've done everything I can think of with hot peppers....hot pepper jelly (3 kinds so far), pepper sauce, salsa (4 batches so far, and another 1 or 2 to go this week), pickled pepper rings, bread and butter peppers, dehydrated peppers ground to a powder or flakes, etc. I have chipotles in the freezer as well as plain old frozen jalapenos for cooking. There are tons of sweet bell peppers frozen too, and frozen tomatoes that have been cooked down to a puree for use in winter cooking. I put a quart or two of black-eyed peas in the freezer weekly, and about the same amount of okra.

And it isn't like we aren't eating from the garden either. We eat tomatoes, peppers, okra and black-eyed peas almost every day....as well as potatoes, onions, sweet corn and broccoli--all from our garden.

I would say that today might be the magical day I finally catch up, but I don't think it will be. Tomorrow? Maybe.

I am enjoying being able to put up so much of the garden's produce for the future. However, at some point I have become a slave to the harvest.

On the bright side (and it is the bright side only because it means there is less to harvest, LOL), the fall melons aren't doing all that well because they've been attacked by spider mites, leaf-footed bugs and squash bugs. I may just yank them out and use that space for something else.

I did recently harvest the first ripe fruit from a fall tomato, and I didn't mind that. The spring/summer tomatoes that I carried over are still producing, but they look pretty pitiful.

If the fall sweet corn and green beans produce well, I won't complain about that because we had too few of them.

Also on the bright side, I finally got a copy of Ellie Topps' book (the second edition, issued this year) on small batch preserving and am having a lot of fun trying new recipes from it. Of course, being me, when I use one of the recipes, I double or triple it, so it isn't technically a "small batch" at that point.

Am I the only one still slaving to bring in the harvest or am I just whining more than anyone else about how hard it is to keep up with it all?

Dawn

Comments (14)

• shekanahh
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dawn
    No, you are not the only one having a problem keeping up with all the harvest. Seems like that's when the real push begins. We love to have the crops preserved and put away, but we have to remember we brought it on ourselves by planting so much,lol.

My real concern with this unseasonably cool weather is that the temps are getting so low in some parts of Oklahoma that it's going to bring an abrupt end to the harvest by spoiling some of the late summer crops. Melons still on the vine, and okra at sort of a standstill, etc.

Fortunately however, the cool season crops are planted and coming up so it may be an offset in that manner, and hopefully we'll have a nice long Indian Summer to enjoy these...... unless Mom Nature throws us another curve ball.

Barbara

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Barbara,

I am pretty far south and we normally have moderate to severe drought conditions in July and August. For me, most years the big harvest is in June and continues into July in all but the worst droughts. By early to mid-July in drought years, the water bill has gone out of the stratosphere and I stop watering and let the garden go. So, being able to water enough to keep the harvest going into August/September is really special.

Some years I have a good fall garden and some years I don't--it depends on whether or not rain starts falling and also on the first freeze date.

I picked the hot pepper plants hard last week---three times. I absolutely picked every pepper that was close to its mature size and got busy trying to preserve all of them that I could. I was fairly confident I wouldn't "have to" pick peppers for another couple of weeks. Needless to say, I looked at the pepper plants today and will have to pick again by about Friday unless I want to leave the peppers on long enough to turn red.

Usually, I leave the 'last' harvest on to turn red, so that means I generally stop picking green ones in mid-October and let them all go red. (I let a few go red over the course of the summer, but pick most jalapenos when they are green and starting to cork.)

I guess this weekend will be another big weekend of pepper canning/drying.

I know we'll enjoy the fruits of the harvest for months yet, but it is wearing me out.

As for Mother Nature and her curveballs, well, I rather expect for her to lob them at us.

Dawn

• Related Discussions

Put these veggies in the ground or keep them in the greenhouse?

Q

Comments (5)
    You're in the same zone as I am. I'm in central Saskatchewan and we normally have warmer summers than you, but this year it has been very cold and rainy with no change in sight, June has been 3 degrees C below normal. The watermelon and butternut squash will do better in the greenhouse. That's a given. The herbs will likely do better outside, especially if you have cool-season herbs (which most herbs are, except basil). Things like dill, cilantro, chives, chervil, rosemary, sage, etc. should be outside and they can tolerate some frost. Only basil needs to be started indoors. The tomatoes, corn and zucchini could go either way. They like it warm but not hot. I would keep some inside and some outside, so that no matter how the summer turns out this year, you have something. Corn takes up a lot of space so I would put it all outside. This post was edited by Slimy_Okra on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 11:58
    ...See More

My first veggie harvest 07

Q

Comments (5)
    I really have to check out my parsnips too. I still have a few left in the fridge downstairs, but the half-row I didn't get around to digging has new tops 2 " tall - they grew very well under the snow. I've never wintered parsnips before, and I can't wait to try them. Konrad, my sister lives near Fairview, and they still have tons of snow too. Connie
    ...See More

Jelly session, Harvesting Veggies and now I'm pooped

Q

Comments (15)
    Steve, at this point, at least around here, the trout fisheries is under such enormous environmental stress that if I catch something, I just put them back - exception would be hatchery rainbows. I might grab a bucket of salmon from the Fish and Game guys this fall when they catch them to strip the eggs as they come up from McPhee Dam to smoke - that can be pretty good. I'm conflicted on the potassium nitrate to keep the meat red - on the one hand, deliberately adding the stuff seems odd, but then so does grey meat. I grabbed a couple of those bagged pork loins when they were on sale and froze them, and at some point when it gets cold enough, I'll brine, smoke, and slow roast them and hopefully come up with something I can use for sandwiches. Grey ones. But, if you slather enough mustard on, and add some green pickles ...... I'm now working on cleaning up the veggie garden after the hard freeze. This is the one garden chore I really don't like. Cart loads of whiffy, rotting vegetation. Bushels of fermenting tomatoes. When I ask my kids to help, this being part of the farmers market toil, they very suddenly have really, really hard home work they just gotta do. I was surprised to find out that my green peppers, picked 10 days ago and refrigerated in plastic bags, are still just wonderful.
    ...See More

NEW: ~~Harvest Veggie Swap~~

Q

Comments (109)
    April, I am growing leeks from seeds right now, I haven't tried onions. My onions from last year are all carefully stored in netting that is knotted in a long strand. Storage is an issue for us because of our heat so I have to watch them carefully. Pomegranates are really easy for us to grow because of our climate. The only work we have is pruning suckers out. We have enough from one tree to have a daily smoothie with frozen pomegranates, orange juice, and bananas all from trees in our yard. That coupled with eggs from our chickens and fresh veggies from the garden is our usual breakfast. Thanks again for the seeds, I had fun looking them all up and planting quite a few. Diana
    ...See More
  • soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Dawn - Although I am envious of all of the food you are able to store, I am not envious of the work, either in the garden or in the kitchen. LOL It is a big job. I think I will do a little more of it next year.

I normally plant only for the fresh veggies, but will "put up" a few if I have them. I can't stand to see them go to waste. I'm afraid our harvest is a bit different. LOL Today I picked a large bunch of radishes, 6 squash, 2 tomatoes, 4 bell peppers and a handful of other peppers. I can take care of that with a couple of days meals.

We got a nice little rain today. Mesonet has recorded .73 but I notice it went out for awhile so I doubt that is a good reading. I haven't checked the rain guage, but I can still walk in my garden without being in mud, but I dug down a couple of inches and it was wet. I have one end that isn't yet planted, but I have the fall transplants just about a week from being ready to put in. Some have suffered a little insect damage while still in the pots, but I have plenty to replace them.

We did get a 4x12 raised bed built which should help me in the rainy springs. I hope to put hoops on it and cover it for the winter, but don't have that part done yet. So much work and so little time. (That is kind of a joke because I could spend all the daylight hours out there if I wanted to, and some days I almost do that.) I just started the year with such a mess that it has been a big job. My fall garden looks good though so I know it has been worth the effort.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

I did another canner-load of tomatoes (quarts) yesterday. Or maybe it was day-before... Since I've retired I lose track of the days. Today I picked the red Delicious apples off the one remaining, but also wobbly, apple tree in the yard. It is younger than the other tree was and didn't bear very much. Neither of the apple trees did this year because of the late frost. I got less than a peck of apples from it, and maybe half a bushel off the yellow Delicious before it gave up the ghost and fell over. I'll be ordering new apple trees soon from Stark Bros, and planting them in the front yard. The dog doesn't spend any time in the front yard so I'm kind of concerned about the squirrels -- but the neighbor's cats hang out there and on my porch so maybe that'll be sufficient. The cats are such nuisances sometimes, if they keep the squirrels away they will be earning the little snacks I give them, since they always seem to be hungry. I know some cats will prey on squirrels. When I was a kid we used to have a mama cat who would kill the young squirrels. It wasn't unusual to see her walking across the grass, with the neck of the squirrel in her mouth, dragging it's body under her belly.

My garden's about done. I cleaned, sliced, blanched and froze about a gallon of carrots also. I could've left them in the ground but considering the insect population, I decided not to do that. I have Moon and Stars but they're having problems so I don't know if I'll get anything, and Warsaw Buff pie pumpkin but I've been having wilt problems.

Starting to get a few fall tomatoes. Mostly these are from plants that I started last February, but I left them in their 32-oz drink cups clear till early June because I had too many. Didn't sell many during the spring garage sale because it was so durn cold, I couldn't bring them out till the afternoon of the last day. By then, most of your traffic is done. I gave a bunch away. But the ones I still had, I just couldn't stand to toss, so I found places here and there in the yard -- along the fence -- in the flower bed, etc. Oddly enough, they are just now coming into their own and they are putting on fruit like crazy. Most of the tomato seed that I planted in little peat bullets in late June did not make the transplant, but I have three or four. They're still pretty small and I doubt they'll make anything before the frost. I trimmed the plants that I had put in the ground in April 'way down, and I've sprayed them all two or three times with Neem. A few of them have come out of it and started sending out new growth. The ones that didn't, I've just started pulling out.

All in all, this has been an interesting summer. Poor for beans, great for cabbage.

• gamebird
    14 years ago

I'm still working on those watermelons. I borrowed my mother's juicer today and that was a huge help. My son has offered to drink the juice just as straight juice, so that may well be the fate of the rest of the watermelons. I've finally had melons that were perfectly ripe, as well as a couple black tails that were overripe.

I accidentally burned the tar out of my tomatoes, squash and pumpkins. I believe I will lose all the squash and most of the pumpkin vines as a result of spraying them with over-concentrated pesticide. I know nothing, really, about using pesticides because I never have. So when my father gave me a backpack sprayer, a sack of concentrate and a booklet of directions with directions for me to spray his garden, I misread the directions and used too much. I had decided that since squash bugs were killing my pumpkins and squash (so really, I'm not sure I'm "losing" anything I wouldn't have lost by not spraying them) that I'd spray them too. And while I was at it, I'd spray the tomatoes because I was sure there were caterpillars on there I wasn't finding. (and there were - several dropped dead out of the plants)

The tomato plants aren't dead and their new growth at the tips looks healthy. But most of their older foliage is dead. The tomatoes already on them are ripening. The squash and pumpkins died anyway, though I have plenty of pumpkins I might as well harvest. I'll lose a couple because they weren't entirely turned. :(

And of course I burned the heck out of my father's garden too, though I didn't spray his as heavily as mine and instead of outright "kill", it's more along the lines of damage and setback.

It sure did kill all the bugs. Next time I'll just let the bugs kill the plants instead though. I won't feel so guilty about it.

As a result of that, my over-abundant harvest will only be the melons (which I did not spray because they don't have bugs). I've probably set the tomatoes back so much they won't be able to give me more fruit for a while. I have only two orange fleshed cantaloupes still on the vine, but probably 20 of the green fleshed muskmelons. The watermelons seem invigorated that I'm picking the ripe melons and they're putting on a new set of fruit.

I wouldn't mind more okra to put up, but I think I have enough squash and cantaloupe. I'd love more tomatoes, but such is not to be. We've had our first white corn and it was yummy, but the corn is ripening very unevenly so it's tough to tell when it's ready. When they're all gone on the first stand I'll pull the stalks and plant something there. Something cold-tolerant.

It's been quite the learning experience.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carol,

For me, the likely difference this year is both that the combination of rain and some irrigation kept the garden producing AND we've had very few grassfires at our end of the county, so I haven't been running all over feeding/hydrating firefighters. In a drier year, I wouldn't have a lot left to harvest by now, and that's assuming I wasn't running to fires and even had time to harvest and put food by.

The bulk of my food preservation is usually in spring/early sumer when the broccoli, corn, potatoes, green beans, onions and tomatoes are in production big-time. Okra, peppers, melons and black-eyed peas are usually a bit later, and then from late July on, there usually isn't much to put up because I cook it and we eat it about as quickly as I harvest it. So, in August and September, I'm more likely to be harvesting and drying herbs or deadheading flowers/seed saving, etc.

This year is just odd all around....everything was late. Most of the tomatoes had to be dealt with in July, although there's enough every week to put up a couple of quarts, eat all we want, and give a few away. The peppers, though, just keep coming.

If the fall green beans, black-eyed peas, cucumbers and sweet corn do well, I'll have no complaints....the spring green beans and corn weren't that great in terms of quantity produced.

Ilene, I think I am going to pull most of the squash and all of the melon plants today. They've had every pest and disease problem under the sun in August and aren't healthy enough to bother with at this point. I really miss having the guineas and the free-range chickens. My garden is completely full of grasshoppers, squash bugs, stink bugs and leaf-footed bugs and the dreaded spider mites. I haven't seen any lady bugs this week. I wonder where they went.

At least pulling the melons and squash will leave me some space for cold-season plants.

Game bird, Sorry to hear about the pesticide burn. I just won't spray hardly anything at all in my garden other than Spinosad, which is organic. I was going to spray it today, but it is rainy, so there's no point. I hate using any spray at all, even organic ones.

My melons have really declined, so I am yanking them out today. I think their problem mostly is red spider mites and there is nothing much you can do about them (or, at least, nothing I'll spray in my garden).

I need to get the cold season stuff in the ground ASAP now that we're not having 100-degree days any more. Seems like we had to wait forever for the August temperatures to break here.

Gardening is always a learning experience, and sometimes I think I have to re-learn the same lessons over and over again.

Most years, some things produce heavily and others don't, so this year has been that way for me. My usually reliable potatoes and onions both did poorly, apparently because they didn't appreciate receiving 18" of rain in 4 or 5 weeks. Everything else, except beans, has done well though. Still, I am glad we don't rely solely on the garden for our produce.

I am hoping for a late first freeze so the fall plants have a chance to be as productive as the spring plants have been.

Dawn

• melissia
    14 years ago

What all do yall can? I'm new to canning and this year I have canned zuchini relish, jalepeno relish and salsa -- that's really all I know how to do, so I have A LOT of jars of these 3 things.

I have to say though that I really like my salsa when it's fresh but when I eat the salsa after it's canned, it's really just not as good -- any ideas? I sort of followed the recipe for anne's salsa that I found on gardenweb.

Does any one have a good hot sauce recipe - maybe that would be the difference?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Melissia,

I've made three kinds of hot jelly--Habanero Gold, Jalapeno Gold (same as Hab Gold, but with jalapenos instead of habaneros) and regular jalapeno jelly. The pepper jellies are especially good when paired with cream cheese on crackers or on homemade cornbread muffins. You also can brush them over different kinds of meat when you're grilling it to glaze the surface and add flavor.

You can make your own jalapeno pepper rings, although it is a somewhat long process because you have to soak the rings in lime/water for 12-24 hours and then do 3 or 4 rinses with an hour between each rinse to be sure you get all the lime out of them. You can make pickled bread and butter jalapenos.....just like you make regular bread and butter pickles, only substituting jalapenos for cucumbers.

As far as canned salsa, there are many recipes and you have to experiment to figure out which one you like best. If you'll tell me which ingredients you normally put in your homemade salsa, I'll post the canned salsa recipe I have that is closest to your ingredient list. One reason you may not like canned salsa as much is because of the vinegar that is added, but the vinegar is important for safety reasons.

There are other things to make with jalapenos too---jalapeno jam, candied jalapenos, candied jalapeno strips (kind of like candied orange peel), etc.

You can oven-roast jalapenos to make your own chipotles and then freeze them for use in cooking.

You can freeze jalapenos without oven roasting them and use them in cooking too.

You can dehydrate jalapenos until they are really brittle and then grind them up to make jalapeno powder to use in cooking. I save old spice bottles (always have lots of mustard seed bottles because of pickle-making) and put the powdered pepper in them.

I like to chop up some jalapeno peppers and freeze them in small portions. I put them in those snack-sized zip-lock bags in 1/4 cup amounts. Then, I put a lot of the snack-sized zip-lock bags in a 1-gallon freezer zip-lock bag. When I need some for cooking, I just take out as many of the little snack-sized zip-locks as needed for that recipe.

If you really like the flavor of jalapeno peppers and can take a LOT of heat, let me know and I'll post a recipe for Jalapeno Salsa, but be forewarned--it has 3 cups of tomatoes and 3 cups of jalapenos, so it is a very strongly-flavored salsa. I'm too much of a wimp to eat it.

You also can mix jalapenos with fruit for a hot and fruity salsa---like peach or mango or apricot. If you're interested in a recipe like that, let me know.

Our jalapenos have gone nuts and are producing like mad, and I am going nuts using them up!

Dawn

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

OK, Dawn, I'd like to have that Nacho Pepper Ring recipe -- if it doesn't call for sugar.

I've looked all over for a canning recipe that will give me a product like those jars of nacho pepper slices that are mixed into melted Velveeta for Nachos. DGS absolutely LOVES those. I've thought about using a recipe I have that calls for added sugar, and just leave the sugar out, as it also calls for vinegar and salt, but I'm kind of afraid I'll end up with something that will go bad and I don't want to risk that. I don't think there's oil in the recipe, either.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

I normally end up with more jalepenos than I can use, so this year I planted light. For the past couple of weeks I have wished I had planted heavy. LOL Ilene I buy those peppers also and the jar just says, peppers, vinegar, salt, and spices. My DH likes them on lots of things, but my favorite use is to cut them up and make jalapeno cornbread with onion and cheese added to the batter also.

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Oh, yeah, Carol, that's good, too! Spices bother DH's stomach so I don't make things like that very often, but you know I think I'll start cutting the recipes in half because I would like to have something spicy every now and then, and I know DGS would enjoy it. We outnumber DH two to one! LOL

I wonder what the spices are that they say are in the jar? I don't taste anything but the jalapeno, vinegar and salt. I'd think the peppers would be spice enough, wouldn't you? I wonder if I just made a brine like I was going to make dill pickles, and left out the dill, the garlic and the grape leaf, would that do it?

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ilene,

The recipe I use is from the National Center for Home Food Preservation at the Univ. of Georgia. Rather than retyping it, I'll link it below. It is a great recipe, and I looked long and hard for one I could trust to be safe before finally finding it. You might wonder why I didn't look an the NCHFP website first....and I don't know why I didn't. LOL It does require a lime/water soak to help keep the peppers crisp, but it does use up a lot of peppers and Tim does like to eat them, so it is a win-win situation. Sugar is not an ingredient either.

Carol, Now you've gone and done it....you've made me hungry for what we know as Mexican cornbread! I bet I'll have to make some now because I'll crave it until I do.

I think the spices y'all are talking about probably are mustard seed and celery seed? I think that's what is in the pepper rings. We'll see in a minute when I find and link the recipe.

Happy Peppering!

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Jalapeno Pepper Rings

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Well, allrightie! Mustard seed and celery seed. Hmmmm. I just looked at my jar of peppers and the label says turmeric and sodium bisulfate in addition to the peppers, vinegar and salt.

Thanks Dawn for finding that recipe for me!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ilene,

You are so welcome.

It is a better pickle ring recipe than anything in any of my canning cookbooks and I am always confident in using their recipes because NCHFP tests all their recipes. Some of my recipe books are so old, and the accepted/revised standards have changed so much over the years that I worry about using some of the old recipes. The NHCFP is my go-to site to find out the latest "rules" or accepted practices.

I use a lot of tumeric in pickling, but not in this recipe.

I made the pickle rings and bread and butter jalapenos the same week, and I have never sliced so many peppers in my life. Because I wanted them to look good, I hand sliced each and every jalapeno. I think it was 7 lbs. total for the two different recipes. Next time I'll just use the food processor.

Dawn

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!