SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourhappyhome1

NEW: ~~Harvest Veggie Swap~~

ourhappyhome
14 years ago

Hows about a VEGETABLE SWAP to celebrate the harvest!

I keep waiting for someone to initiate an edibles only swap. Guess I'm it. I really want to keep things small and controlled, so I'm looking for the first 25 people to sign-up. I'm sure I can be persuaded to add more if there is enough interest.

Here are the guidelines:

The deadline for sign-up is October 16th or when we reach our max of 25 participants.

Please post a message below AND email me with your name, address and top three wants (i.e., brassicas, legumes, carrots, not specific varieties). I will do my best to fulfill your wish list. No promises.

Seeds should be mailed to me by no later than October 23. I recommend some type of delivery confirmation to help you keep track of your package. Don't want anything getting lost in the mail. I will sort and mail them back to you one week later. As your packages come in, I will count the number of seed packs and make sure you get back the same number, plus any bonuses.

Seed Packs

Send in 15 - 20 seed packs. Large seeds (beans) must contain at least 12 seeds. A few more would be nice. Mid-sized seeds (cucumber, beet) about 20. Small seeds (lettuce, carrots, cabbage) must contain be reasonable size, say 50 - 75 seeds. Feel free to send in extra packs, just be sure to mark them as such.

Label each seed pack with as much information as possible, like dtm, color, type, variety (Broccoli: Early Dividend, 49dtm).

Please send your seeds to me in a bubble envelope. Make sure it is large enough to hold whatever you expect to get back. Include a list of the seeds you sent in so I don't send your seeds right back to you.

Can't wait to get started!

April

Comments (109)

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight!

Ryansr and Gardengal1, your envelopes arrived today. Thank you

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I can't remember if I posted that my box is on it's way. I sent a priority box...one of the little ones with stamps and lables for return if you just want to restuff it and tape it up you can just slap the stamps on it and return it. I tried to make it as easy as possible.

Hugs,

Jamie

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Veggie Seed Swap

Q

Comments (0)
    Join the new "Harvest Veggie Swap" in the Round Robin Exchange Forum. There are lots of veggies that are great for wintersowing. I sow lettuce, carrots, onions, cabbage, kale, brussel sprouts, and lots more. Its also a great way to try new things without spending lots of money. If you have a few packets of fresh seed to trade, give it a try!
    ...See More

NEW: How To Start A Garden Fruit 'n Veggie Swap in Your Hood

Q

Comments (1)
    movin' on down...
    ...See More

NEW: Fall Harvest Fresh Seed Swap

Q

Comments (51)
    FYI: I received seeds today from: homegrownsc If you sent your seeds and you think they should have been received by now, PLMK. It's possible they may get here on Monday. I will be busy the next week sorting the seeds. I already have a few about ready to go out. All will be out by October 22. I would appreciate it if you could post here or send me an e-mail when you receive your seeds. Thanks everyone for participating in the swap. It's been a great learning experience for me. I'm having a lot of fun doing it...it's time consuming...but fun. I hope everyone is happy with their returned seeds.
    ...See More

NEW: Seed To Seed Gardens 1st Annual Veggie-Swap

Q

Comments (9)
    I alphabetized your tomato's list and fixed some spelling. I can do your whole list if you like but you can add in your numbers..it makes looking for and trading easier :) You have some varieties I never heard of like Apielson. I'd love to hear more on your garden and see pictures. Please read my list and hopefully we can trade. I also am starting a community garden with over 100 varieties...for starter seed I can gladly save and return at harvest....we are..... well, here's the list followed by the First Fruits blurb. Apielson Orange Aunt RubyÂs German Green Aunt RubyÂs German Grape Australian Heart Beefsteak Big Rainbow Black From Tulsa Black Pear Black Zebra Cherokee Chocolate Elberta Peach Garden Peach Golden Jubilee Green Giant Green Zebra Hazle Mae Hess Japanese Black Triffle Kellogg's Breakfast Manyel Mashinka Pink Matt's Wild Cherry Mr. Stripey Nyagous Old Ivory Egg Ox Heart Persimmon Pineapple Pink Brandywine Principe Bourghese Red Zebra Silvery Fir Tree Striped Roman Super Snow White Thai Pink Egg Tigerovy White Queen Yellow Brandywine Yellow Pear Zapotec First Fruits Harvest Garden 4644 M-33 Hwy. Onaway, MI 49765 While there are many needs in other countries and hungry everywhere, the goals of First Fruits are to: *Feed the local community with organically grown, open pollinated, local vegetables. To be distributed through the FOOD Pantry currently established on site. *Provide a place for those who wish to grow their own produce and provide seed, etc. *Open pollinated seeds will be saved and used/given away. No hybrids will be used. This establishes a fresh Seed Bank as well. Current and future goals are: raised-bed gardens, grains, water supply, storage and greenhouse. We are asking for a tax deductible donation to start "seed" money for such a project. Should such a project fail, monies would be donated to the local food pantry and people would still be fed. Projected Budget- $500 establishes the garden plot including seed. $3600 establishes a greenhouse and storage area. Overall projected budget of operation to start is $4100. After the initial investment maintenance follows and the budget reduces. Thank you for helping Project Manager, Earl Bassett
    ...See More
  • columbine21
    14 years ago

Jamie,
    If you don't mind me asking,how much does it usually cost to mail a box like the one you described?

Rebekah (who is not familiar with mailing boxes)

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

$4.95 It's the what ever it weigh's kind of box. I just thought it would be easiest. The mediums that I have for my seed plus other stuff swaps will be closer to 10 but, I can't remember how much. I just started useing them becuse it's just so east knowing hoe much too send.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Here are the box sizes. The $4.95 box is 5 3/8 x 8 5/8 x 1 5/8 and will hold a lot of small seed packs.

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

The box is free (ask at your post office) and you can ship as much as you can fit in the box, any weight.

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Assuming everyone mailed when they said they did, the bubble envelopes beat priority mail every time. The most expensive postage was about $2.50.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Mine may be the exception, because I mailed in a bubble but paid for a flat rate on the return. You didn't mention receiving mine and I mailed on Monday. It must be where I live that makes the difference because it always seems to take longer. However, I sent an "in-state" flat rate box on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday. I hope you get mine on Monday because I stopped trading last year because I had so many get lost. I think (at least, I hope) that the problem has been solved. It looks like there are only a few that haven't arrived. Carol

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Well in my case I had beans and peas which don't seem to do very well even in bubbles so I prefer to send them in a box and a small mailing box is $1.99. Even if the postage is $2.50, at $4.50 I would just rather go ahead and send the box priority.

Now my box was not sent on the day I originaly estimated because of a wicked case of the flu and my po being so far away but, it was still sent by the deadline. I got 52 seed packets in a small box with some extra room and that included 6 full Bean packets and 3 or 4 pea so they really do hold allot...Of course I don't use them if I am just sending regular seeds or maybe on pack of beans or peas. It's just a personal preference I guess.

Hugs,

Jamie

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Jamie, Do you plant pole or bush beans?

• columbine21
    14 years ago

Jamie, thanks for the postage costs/mailing info!

Carol, thank you as well.

Rebekah

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

I plant both bush and pole beans but, am also a novice at poles really. My m-i-l really got me started and she was a bush person. My in-laws have grown things like pintos for snaps forever and ever. They have beds set aside just for there favorite beans. My husbands Aunt Elsie got me into poles with Florida speckled limas...my husbands loves them and they grow great in the heat and humidity. I just don't do well setting up things for them to grow on. I know it sounds silly but, I just don't know what to grow them up if not a fence. Everything I try manages to fall over in the wind.

Rebekah - You are more than welcome honey.

Hugs,

Jamie

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Received 4 more envelopes today and all were simply bulging at the seams. Wow guys! Soonergrandmom, arroyogardener, Kathy645 and Lisa831. My thanks to you for the time you invested in organizing and labeling your contributions and for your generosity. Everyone in the swap has done a wonderful job. Thanks so much guys.

I'm waiting for just one more envelope which should arrive in the next few days.

April

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Jamie, Thanks for answering my question. I normally grow pole beans as well, but I think I am going to grow some of both next year. I live in an area that has a lot of spring rain and because of a back problem I have trouble just bending over to pick beans, so I normally use a kneeling stool which doesn't work so well if it is muddy. I was lucky enough to go to Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds twice this fall and I found several new beans that I want to try. I think I will plant pole beans as normal, but after the spring rains pass, I will also plant bush beans. In the past I have mostly grown for fresh eating for which I like pole beans, but next year I plan to freeze or maybe even can a lot so I think the bush habit would be better for that. I live in the NE corner of Oklahoma just a few miles from Missouri and Arkansas.

I grow pole beans on a cattle panel. One of them is built into an arch, two others (halves) go straight up 8 feet, and the others are just placed horizonally and held in place with t-posts. They are wonderful for the garden for anything that climbs. I have five and will probably be buying more before spring. The problem with a fence is that you need to be able to pick both sides, or let your neighbor pick the other side. LOL

I found a picture that shows the panels before they were covered with vines. You can see one side of the arch with some cukes just starting to climb up high in the center of the picture. Next year I will mount the horizonal panels about a foot off the ground because my pole beans had to "fall over" quite a distance at the top this year.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

April, it sounds like you will be very busy trying to sort through all of this. Thanks for doing the swap. Carol

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

Perfect! I'll need to show Gene. Quick, simple, not overly expensive and sturdy. I have Parkinson's so though I don't always have many bad days there are days that getting down is okay but, back up isn't an option...lol... so this looks like it would be a big help. I will have to get a touch more organized though. I tend to be a stick it where there's space gardener - which is a bad habit. Thanks for the info and the pic honey. That REALLY helps. It will help with the peas too.

When It comes to putting them by I like to freeze peas but, I much prefer to can beans but, that's just me. Everyone feels differently about it. It's more work to can but, I think the flavor is better but, it's just a matter of taste and what you plan to use them for I guess. I also, for some reason, NEVER fail to end up with freezer burned beans in just a matter of a couple of months.

Thank you so much for the pic and info!!!!

Hugs to you,

Jamie

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Jamie, I grow snow peas on mine every year but I have noticed that they would rather cling to each other than to the panel, so when they are about 18 inches I put a cord around the panel at about that height and weave it in and out a little. Sometimes I will tie them again at about the top of the panel because they don't always behave well. Beans, on the other hand, grab hold early and climb beautifully.

You may need two people to get the arch up if you decide to go that way. Some people just make a smooth arch and put four short t-posts at the corners, but we made ours into more of a gothic shape. It was at the entrance to my growing area, but I keep extending my garden so I may have to move it for next year. We put a 2x4 board in the center where we wanted it to bend, then one stood on it while the other tried to bend it up. They are stiff so it is a little hard to bend, but I like the look.

I bought several kinds of long beans to grow next year, in addition to the regular green beans. I think they will look great on the panels.

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

April, I am going to have to ask you to take me out of this swap. Please just pass my seeds out among the others. Use my postage for anyone short or keep it for a later swap. Thank you.

• patti1957
    14 years ago

Jamie,
    I hope you reconsider. I don't think you should let others ignorance dictate what you do here. Although I understand why you want to get as far away from here as you can, I think you should know that we are not all of one mind. I believe that some on this site have made a grave mistake and I also believe in innocent until PROVEN guilty. Please don't let them run you off.

Patti

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Jamie, I don't know what has happened, but I hope I didn't offend you in any way. Don't drop out of the swap now because the hard part is completed and only the joy of receiving is left. Hang in there. Occasionally a swap gets nasty but most of the time they are really fun.

My first one scared me off for over a year. A lady posted free seeds to about 20 different flowers. I sent my envelope to her and got back the seeds alright, but they weren't separated and were all in one envelope. Now even with flowers I don't like to plant that way.

Hang in there and wait for your seeds. It will be like Christmas in November. Carol

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jamie (arroyogardener), I hope we've convinced you to stay. As I said in my email, we're a family. We're all in this thing together.
    You sent in a bundle of seeds and you'll get a bundle in return. Hugs and more hugs

April

• arroyogardener
    14 years ago

You guys made me cry. I have recieved some really sweet emails too from people who have either checked me out or refused too. I've been on Dave's 4 years and there you can look up every post anyone has ever made...lol...You people are just too sweet. Thank you so much. I hope everyone likes what I sent. I tried so hard to make everything special right down to the little packets. I like being part of this family...you guys are spiffy...

Hugs,

Jamie

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Last call for wants and wishes.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Does that mean you have received everyone's package????? If so, that was pretty fast. Can we get excited now???

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey there guys. Sorry I haven't been around much this week. Things are really crazy at home and I find I'm on the go most of the time. Thank God its' Friday.

Soonergrandmom, I've received all but one swap. Hopefully, it will arrive this afternoon.

I've already begun the tedious process of sorting through the seeds. We have a good selection of heirloom and Op varieties. There aren't many rare and exotic seeds, but plenty of good, garden staples. As far as bonuses go, I'm sure you'll all be pleased. Look for 5 or more extras in your return envelopes. We did have one person send in just 7 packets of seed. That throws the count off just a bit but remember, you only get back as much as you sent in.

Thanks
    April

• kathy645
    14 years ago

Okay, I'm getting excited and it's soooo quiet! Anyone else excited? Or is it just because this is my first real swap? Hope everyone had a great weekend!
    Kathy

• columbine21
    14 years ago

April,
    I would love to be considered for Israeli melon if possible. Thanks!

Rebekah

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathy, I know exactly how you feel. This time around, since I'm organizing the swap, I don't have seeds to look forward to. However, I am anticipating your reactions. I've done my best to address your wish lists and I must say, I think I've done a pretty good job. I finished the last envelope today. Actually, I finished sorting on Sunday, but I spent the past couple of days checking and rechecking to be sure everything is in order.

Swaps will go in the mail on Saturday, November 14th. Please post a message here when yours arrives.

Rebekah, I didn't receive a melon by that name, but I have something similar in my seed box. I'll make sure you get a few bonus seeds.

That's all for now folks. Please remember to let me know when your box/envelope arrives.

Hugs!
    April

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Yeh --- Next week is Christmas!!! --- Well, it will seem like it anyway.

• columbine21
    14 years ago

Yea...now the fun begins!

Thank you, April, for hosting!

Rebekah

• kathy645
    14 years ago

Thank you for hosting April--I can't imagine sorting out all those seeds! I really do feel like next week will be Christmas-time! Thanks for all your work.
    Kathy

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My pleasure folks. Thanks so much for your support.

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The seeds went out to-day
    The seeds went out to-day
    Hi-ho the derry-o
    The seeds went out to-day.

he he he

• columbine21
    14 years ago

Look out...here they come! (lol)

Rebekah

• slo_garden
    14 years ago

Awesome! I can't wait.

• kathy645
    14 years ago

Yippppeeeee! Can't wait! Thanks April!

• w9yards
    14 years ago

April,
    I got my seeds today with extras! Thank you so much. I was really pleased with the variety. I am actually going to plant six of them today. I live in southern California and have my vegetable garden year round. I am still picking tomatoes and several varieties of squash as well as beans and greens from my summer garden. I try to grow most of our food and give produce to several other families as well. I have a large orchard too and just finished picking hundreds of pomegranates which are so time consuming to process, but I love the juice. Again thank you so much for taking your time to organize this exchange. I will think of you when I am harvesting!

Thanks!

Diana

• lisa831
    14 years ago

April,
    I got my seeds today with extras! Thank you so much for have this swap,and Thanks for hosting.

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Boy that was lightning fast. Diana, I envy your weather. Ours is up and down which makes it difficult to keep summer crops going into the fall. My tomatoes were killed by a freeze, but its 80 degrees here today - go figure. I'm a huge fan of pomegranates. I love to eat them but I've never thought of actually growing my own. Is it complicated?

Lisa, I'm glad you like your seeds. Yours was a challenge because you didn't have a wish list. Did you get enough tomatoes and peppers? I have a large selection of heirlooms. If you're looking for something specific, send me an email. I just might have it.

Thanks

• kathy645
    14 years ago

April, I got my package; I got my package! I love my package! I love my package! So much to try next year. Thank you, thank you, thank you all. The variety of seeds was great. I worried I would get things that were not suitable for our short season. There was only one packet of seeds might fit that category and it sounds so good I may try it anyway. As a newbie, I am grateful and thrilled to be part of this group. Kathy

• columbine21
    14 years ago

April, today I got my seeds! And I wanted to tell you that you did a great job hosting and I really like the package I received. Thank you!!!

Rebekah

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the encouraging words guys.

Next on my list of things to do is a photo diary of how to grow onions from seed. I purchased the onion variety 'Candy'. My plan is to share the seeds and invite others to join me. Let me know if you're interested. This time of year I just have to think up ways to keep busy. LOL

• slo_garden
    14 years ago

I got my package today. That was really fast! April, thank you so much for doing this! I'm very pleased with the selection, as I got several things on my wish list and a lot new stuff to try.

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

April, I don't have my package yet but I am interested in your onion project.

• w9yards
    14 years ago

April,
    I am growing leeks from seeds right now, I haven't tried onions. My onions from last year are all carefully stored in netting that is knotted in a long strand. Storage is an issue for us because of our heat so I have to watch them carefully. Pomegranates are really easy for us to grow because of our climate. The only work we have is pruning suckers out. We have enough from one tree to have a daily smoothie with frozen pomegranates, orange juice, and bananas all from trees in our yard. That coupled with eggs from our chickens and fresh veggies from the garden is our usual breakfast.

Thanks again for the seeds, I had fun looking them all up and planting quite a few.

Diana

• patti1957
    14 years ago

April,
    I received me seeds yesterday. Thank you for the extras and for putting so much thought into what you sent to me. I will be planning to plant some of them in the spring.

Thank you,
    Patti

• lisa831
    14 years ago

April
    The package was great,will email you later, but I am interested in your onion project.
    You was a Great Host. Lisa

• ryansr
    14 years ago

I recieved my packege yesterday!! Thanks April!

• ourhappyhome
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Soonergrandmom, your package was returned today labeled "Return to Sender" - "Not deliverable".

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

April, Can you let me know when you took the package back to the post office, or when you do. I have been receiving packages everyday and the other two they sent back have now been received. I think yours is the only one left. I guess everyone else got theirs OK?

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

April, Never mind. My package arrived today the 27th. It looks great and I appreciate you for doing the swap. Carol