SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dafygardennut

Jelly session, Harvesting Veggies and now I'm pooped

dafygardennut
15 years ago

Friday night I juiced grapes for two more batches of grape jelly.

Saturday afternoon I harvested everything I could before the freeze.

Since I don't have room to hang the tomatoes I just cut off all of the clusters.The only vine ripened tomatoes this season came from Fantastic (from Home Depot); everything else I started from seed but hadn't gotten to taste yet. Guess which ones I'm definitely growing next year :-)

Fantastic

Black Plum Paste (there was one vine ripened one hiding)

Double Rich

Thessaloniki - We ate the ripe ones Sunday night with Hummus and pita. Very acidic by themselves, but fantastic in that combo

Bloody Butcher

Wisconsin 55

Peppers - I covered the rest of the plants that had small peppers in the hopes that they might finish developing since it's supposed to be back in the 60s-70s midweek.

Espanola, Jalapeno, Fresno, Cayenne, Hungarian Hot Wax & Sweet Cherry Bells

Ichiban Eggplant - Definitely doing more of these next year

Squash - Zucchini & Yellow (some babies and some biggies that were hiding.

Saturday night was juicing apples and straining rose hip puree, and then today made Strawberry Margarita Preserves (which was oh so good), Rose Hip Jelly with apple (tastes more like apple which is good since I couldn't really describe the taste of the rose hip puree (-:), and now I'm taking a break before starting the grape jelly.

Bonnie's not kidding about not being able to find jars. All I've seen are quarts and half-pint plastic freezer containers. I've been lucky though and picked up two boxes of pint jars and a box of half-pint jars at the thrift stores over the past couple of months.

Off for the final jelly making of the weekend.

Jen

Comments (15)