SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phorsaken

Indoor Plant Pest Question

phorsaken
16 years ago

New member here, and looking for some advice.

We recently moved to a new apartment that seems to be perfect for growing plants indoors. Lots of windows, bright, airy, and plenty of room. So, having always been interested in plants, (tropicals, specifically), I started researching and setting up new plants.

Right now, I have a large Monstera, two young Monsteras, and a big and healthy banana growing in the living room. I've always been super paranoid about pests, as a palm and Philo became infested with mites and fungus gnats, respectively.

Well, I've been keeping a hawk's eye on the new additions for the past couple of weeks. Well, about a week after getting them set up, I started noticing what I thought were larval fungus gnats wriggling around on top of the soil. Not a lot, though. Just a couple here and there.

Well, I probably jumped the gun too quickly, and started to soak the soil with Garden Safe insect spray, (Pyrethrin-based spray). Then, learnt about BTi, and have now been treating with that, (soaking Mosquito Dunks overnight).

I know I probably went a little overboard, but was on a hair-trigger after my palm and Philo.

I know that over-watering is probably the culprit, and I'm doing my best to curb that. Right now my plants are sitting outside to dry out a bit after a new drench with the Dunk-soaked water.

So, any advice from you all? This was mostly just a venting session, really. But thought I'd post here since you all have been so helpful to me for other things. :)

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County